'All our allocation is allocated': Victoria won't spare vaccines for NSW

Victoria recorded 12 new virus cases- ten in quarantine, and all but dismissed sending extra jabs to Sydney.

'All our allocation is allocated': Victoria won't spare vaccines for NSW

A further 12 new COVID-19 cases have been recorded in Victoria overnight, as residents wait anxiously to find out whether the state's lockdown will be extended.

The number is a drop on yesterday and all 12 are linked to current outbreaks, with 10 of those in quarantine throughout their entire infectious period.

More than 39,000 tests were conducted and 19,000 vaccines administered.

READ MORE:

https://twitter.com/VicGovDH/status/1418700233706377217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"All Delta and all linked to the NSW incursion," Victoria Health Minister Martin Foley said.

"We had 10 cases in hospital, three in ICU with one on ventilation.

"Overall, we are pleased to see an encouraging trend down in case numbers, and certainly not an increase."

Mr Foley said that the number of people active in the community while infectious is also "trending down".

READ MORE:

He said it was however too early to tell whether the lockdown will end as planned on Tuesday.

"(It is) too early to call yet as to what might be the position come Tuesday night," he said.

"As I indicated, 10 of the 12 community cases were in isolation during their entire infectious period, the two cases who were out in the community were only active for less than a day, with only a small number of retail sites being listed for a result."

Of today's 12 new community cases, five are linked to the AAMI Park outbreak.

One is a social contact of a previously identified case that attended the game and four are household contacts of a previously announced case.

READ MORE:

Three are linked to Miss Franky's, one is a patron who visited the venue on July 15, and two are household contacts of a staff member.

Two are linked to the Burnley apartment complex.

One is linked to Bacchus Marsh Grammar, a student, and one is a household contact related to one of the generations attached to the Young & Jackson's case.

No cases have been detected that are linked to the Prahran Markets, as was a major concern yesterday.

There are now more than 22,700 close contacts linked to the current outbreak.

Victoria Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said he is "not taking any chances" with the Delta strain and that's why he declared all of NSW an "extreme red zone from 9pm last night".

"We are not taking any chances with this Delta variant that has come from NSW," he said.

"That's why we have changed the Victorian travel permit system to account for the greater risks posed. I declared NSW in total as an extreme risk zone from 9pm last night, it's backdated 14 days from July 9.

"Victorian residents returning from a red zone who have been in an extreme risk zone in the last 14 days can only enter Victoria with an exemption or another valid permit such as a specified worker permit."

Mr Sutton said sending vaccine doses from Victoria to NSW is "something worth considering".

"It is potentially looking to...try and put the brakes on further transmission, either beyond the area where it (an outbreak) is geographically concentrated or to slow it down over time.

"If that saves thousands of people from infection and many people from dying even if it doesn't have an immediate effect it is something worth considering."

"We need to protect Victorians both from potential incursion, but also all the future risks that will continue to challenge us through to the end of the year.

"Having high vaccination coverage in Victoria is the way to do that, primarily."

Mr Foley stopped short of suggesting Victoria should send vaccine supplies to NSW but said that if there is found to be unallocated doses in the national stockpile, he wouldn't "have any difficulty" in those being prioritised to Greater Sydney.

"The Commonwealth of Australia's greatest need at the moment is clearly the situation in NSW," he said.

"If there is unallocated stock by all means, provided it is not coming at the expense of any state or territory. I'm sure we all support that.

"All of our allocation is allocated.

"I don't think NSW or any other state or territory would expect us to, because they are allocated. That would mean cancelling appointments, that would mean taking arrangements off GPs."

Yesterday, the state recorded 14 new local cases, with three active in the community for about a day while infectious.

Victoria's extended lockdown is due to end at 11.59pm on Tuesday, July 27.

Earlier this week, the Victorian Government declared it needed another seven days to get its outbreaks under control before the state could exit lockdown.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the state could not risk case numbers spiralling out of control like they had in Sydney.

"We need to avoid what is going on in Sydney at the moment," Mr Andrews said.

Victorian Premier calls for 'ring of steel' around Sydney

Mr Andrews called on Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Friday to put a "ring of steel" around Sydney, a move the PM rejected.

Mr Andrews raised the issue at National Cabinet.

"Sydney is on fire with this virus and we need a ring of steel around Sydney," Mr Andrews said.

"There is a national responsibility to do everything possible to contain it where it is now. Not to see it spread."

Mr Morrison rebuffed Mr Andrews' views, insisting it was up to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to manage lockdown measures.

"The only view that matters on this is the view of the New South Wales premier because they are responsible for how they manage the lockdown in New South Wales," he said.

"There is nothing light about the lockdown in Sydney, I can assure you. My family are in it.

"I'm quite certain that people living in Greater Sydney do not feel they are under loose restrictions."

Police, authorised officers and ADF personnel could help man the proposed border around the city to protect the virus from seeping into regional areas and other states, Mr Andrews suggested.

"We did it last year to protect country Victoria and our country, and the same must occur in relation to Sydney.

"There is a national responsibility to put a ring of steel around Sydney."

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Chaos as thousands gather for anti-lockdown protests

In chaotic scenes, thousands walked through Sydney's inner-city, despite the city being in lockdown.

Chaos as thousands gather for anti-lockdown protests

There has been chaos in the heart of Sydney as anti-lockdown protesters, many maskless, took to the streets to protest COVID-19 restrictions, sparking police clashes and 57 arrests.

Thousands walked through Sydney's inner-city, despite the city being in lockdown. Some of the protesters were carrying placards with anti-vaccination messages. Many appeared not to be wearing masks.

READ MORE:

Police confirmed 57 people have been arrested and charged at the Sydney protest, which was in breach of public health orders. More than 90 infringements have been issued.

Police Minister David Elliott said a strike force of 22 detectives had been set up to track down 3500 "very selfish boofheads". He also said anyone who attended the protest to get tested for COVID-19.

READ MORE:

Another rally was held in Melbourne and a third in Brisbane.

At the Melbourne rally, police officers formed a blockade at the corner of Flinders St and Swanston St.

Officers surrounded the protest group and began detaining those who were refusing the leave the area.

In Sydney protesters met at Victoria Park on the edge of the CBD, then, led by police on horses, marched to Town Hall.

Lockdown protesters in Sydney.https://twitter.com/tiffgenders/status/1418776078236016641

There was no social distancing and few face masks.

A man dancing with batons lit on fire was sprayed with a fire extinguisher before being arrested.

Protesters climbed onto shop awnings, what appeared to be an Australian flag was burnt and anti-Government messages were chanted as police tried to move the crowd on.

NSW Police issued a statement confirming the arrests.

"Officers from across Central Metropolitan Region, assisted by specialist resources, were deployed," the statement reads.

"So far during the operation, a number of people have been arrested. As attendees disperse, movement out of the city will be facilitated down George Street."

Police said trains were still operating, but some station entrances are blocked.

Once the crowd made its way back at Victoria Park, police warned anyone who did not leave would be issued with a $1000 fine and began making arrests.

A man with batons lit on fire at the rally in Sydney.The man had his fire extinguished and then appeared to be held by police.https://twitter.com/MaggieRaworth/status/1418766604100243457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Federal Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd said he was "very concerned" people were not wearing masks and physically distancing.

"When that happens, there is the risk that we'll get spread of COVID-19," Professor Kidd said.

"This is even more imperative during this outbreak with the Delta variant than it was during the times last year when we saw similar protests.

"This puts people's lives at risk."

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys said ahead of the event, a lockdown protest being held in Sydney could be "disastrous."

"I think it's not really the time for people to come together closely, to exercise somewhat they would think was their democratic right and it may well be," he said.

"New South Wales Police are in a position where they will try and work with the organisers and the specific group leaders to make sure that they comply with the public health orders, and in fact we don't get a situation where we end up with a spreading event in Sydney which would, of course, be disastrous."

Some of the protesters carried anti-vaccination messages.https://twitter.com/NatarjshaKramer/status/1418760878959198211?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw


Meanwhile, almost 250 people have been fined for breaking COVID-19 lockdown rules over the past 24 hours in NSW.

Most of the fines handed out yesterday were for people blatantly disobeying the rules by having parties at home.

Police were called to a party at Pyrmont where eight people were fined $1000.

READ MORE:

Six people were fined at a birthday party at Riverwood in the city's South.

People are not supposed to have anybody to their home at all.

At Belmont near Newcastle - where five people are allowed to a home - 10 people were fined for being at a party.

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys called the party hosts and guests "highly irresponsible."

"People are actually planning these events and inviting people around. They know it is outside the public health order," he said.

However, NSW Health Minister Hazzard dismissed raising fines to try and deter people, saying officials are working with multi-cultural communities to get the messages out.

"It is one of the joys of this nation that we are a proud multicultural nation, but sometimes people who have come from overseas perhaps have suffered at the hands of other governments and perhaps getting the messages through is challenging," he said.

READ MORE:

"So, we need to find ways to keep working at that and get the messages through."

"We really need our community, particularly in southwestern and western Sydney, to stay at home, to hear the message and stay at home.

"And don't intermingle with family members from other households."

READ MORE:

Plus, 18 people who were among those who gathered in relation to a family "tragedy" in Sydney's Pendle Hill have now been diagnosed with the virus.

It's not known if they were also fined.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.