Australia investigates mystery child illness connected to COVID-19

Three children have died and close to 100 have been hospitalised with symptoms of the rare disease.

Australia investigates mystery child illness connected to COVID-19

Leading Australian paediatric experts are looking in to a rare but serious illness that's been linked to COVID-19, and believed to have caused the death of three children in the United States.

Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy has tasked local teams to investigate the syndrome, which closely resembles Kawasaki disease, to brief the Prime Minister and state and territory leaders at national cabinet on Friday, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.

A mysterious illness similar to Kawasaki disease has been seen in close to 100 children in the US in the past two months, ranging from newborns to teenagers.

So far there had been no known cases of it in Australia, Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said.

He confirmed Prime Minister Scott Morrison had asked Professor Murphy to commission medical research into the illness.

"We have no known cases or examples of that in Australia so far," Mr Hunt told Today on Wednesday.

"Brendan Murphy and the Deputy Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly are seeking advice both from overseas and Australia."

Its relationship to COVID-19 is one of the lines of inquiry, Mr Hunt said.

"That detail, whether it's something which is caused by the disease or comes from it or whether it's been highlighted through the testing process, I will leave that to the medical experts to provide that advice."

Health authorities in the US believe the illness is related to coronavirus and have described it as "paediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome".

Three children in New York, one a teenager and two aged five and seven, recently died after showing symptoms of symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease and toxic shock syndrome, while also testing positive for COVID-19 or related antibodies.

Kawasaki disease is associated with abdominal pain, gastrointestinal symptoms and cardiac inflammation.

The illness – which has yet to be identified – has been seen in both children who have tested positive for COVID-19 and those who have not had coronavirus.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said state health officials had partnered with the New York Genome Center and the Rockefeller University to see if there was a genetic basis for the syndrome.

Globally, health authorities believe children are far less likely to become seriously ill with COVID-19 than adults with just a small proportion of those under 18 diagnosed.

For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the and set notifications to on at the or

You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the and the .

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Battle between ute and truck caught on dashcam

Dashcam footage has emerged of a dangerous driving incident between a truck and a ute on a road in Sydney's southwest.

Battle between ute and truck caught on dashcam

Dashcam footage has emerged of a dangerous driving incident between a truck and a ute on a road in Sydney's southwest.

Police released the vision, which shows the ute and truck both travelling in the right southbound lane of the Hume Highway, Menangle on Saturday at about 6.45am.

In the video, the white ute approaches the rear of the truck from the far right lane, which appears to be a rest lane.

It then appears to attempt to overtake the truck, which can be seen veering into that same lane, preventing the ute from passing.

Another larger truck is travelling in the left lane next to the small truck which is swerving between the right lane and rest lane.

The ute then appears to accelerate to try and overtake the smaller truck in the rest lane.

The small truck appears to continue blocking the ute from passing in the rest lane, then the dashcam footage cuts out.

Police are now asking for any witnesses to come forward to help with their investigation.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the NSW Police Traffic and Highway Command said the incident could have added to the NSW road death toll, which currently sits at 116.

"We acknowledge drivers may experience frustrating incidents while they are behind the wheel, nothing is worth putting lives at risk," Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

Investigators have already interviewed the truck driver but are asking for anyone else with information to come forward.

Assistant Commissioner Corboy said the footage was first uploaded on social media and police regularly check these platforms for tipoffs on dangerous driving.

"As our investigations into this incident continue, I would encourage anyone who has footage of this event, or even those involved, to come forward to police," Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.