Boullier admits French GP date change was 'a big problem'

French Grand Prix boss Eric Boullier says the reshuffle of F1's calendar that brought the race at Paul... The post Boullier admits French GP date change was 'a big problem' appeared first on F1i.com.

Boullier admits French GP date change was 'a big problem'

French Grand Prix boss Eric Boullier says the reshuffle of F1's calendar that brought the race at Paul Ricard forward by a week this month proved to be a major hurdle for his organization.

The cancellation in late April of the Canadian Grand Prix due to Covid-19, its subsequent replacement by the Turkish Grand Prix and then the latter's abandonment left F1 scrambling to rebuild its schedule for June.

The addition of a second race at the Red Bull Ring in Austria eventually led to the French Grand Prix being rescheduled for June 20 instead of June 27, and the overhaul at such short notice was anything but easy for the French promoters.

"It was a big problem. You can’t build everything up for a Grand Prix within three days," Boullier told Motorsport.com.

"During the Grand Prix, 1,200 people work. They were already booked to work for us that week. Then if you change the date six weeks before the race, they all have to change their plans.

"Then there are the spectators. Everyone had already booked their flight, train journey, accommodation and the likes, and they had to change everything too. So it’s a challenge.

"At the request of Formula 1, we were brought forward a week, losing 20 per cent of the spectators. However, those tickets were immediately re-sold."

  • Read also: Singapore GP scrapped from 2021 calendar due to Covid

Formula 1 venues are slowly welcoming back fans into the grandstands. Monaco authorized a 40 per cent capacity for its showcase event in the Principality.

The French government has allowed mass gatherings at public events of a maximum of 5,000 people. But three distinct closed zones, or 'bubbles', have been created at Paul Ricard to legally circumvent the rule and boost attendance to 15,000 people.

"Each bubble is completely independent," Boullier added.

"They have their own entrance gates, own parking spaces. Nobody gets in the way of someone from another bubble.

"We are the first major event in France. You have Roland Garros and the Cannes Film Festival, but with 15,000 spectators this is the biggest event yet. It’s good to be back."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Boullier admits French GP date change was 'a big problem' appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Hakkinen: Baku 'not the last podium' for Vettel in 2021

Two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen has backed Sebastian Vettel to repeat in the near future his Azerbaijan Grand... The post Hakkinen: Baku 'not the last podium' for Vettel in 2021 appeared first on F1i.com.

Hakkinen: Baku 'not the last podium' for Vettel in 2021

Two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen has backed Sebastian Vettel to repeat in the near future his Azerbaijan Grand Prix podium performance.

Vettel crossed the checkered flag second in Baku, securing his maiden podium with new team Aston Martin after a solid drive and having benefitted from the misfortune that befell championship rivals Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton.

The result followed a challenging start to the German driver's life at Team Silverstone, having failed to achieve a single top-ten finish in the first four races of the season.

"It was really fantastic to see him on the podium and smiling again," Hakkinen wrote in his post-race column for Unibet.

"Sebastian had a very tough final season at Ferrari in 2020, and a lot of people wondered if he could rediscover his form at Aston.

"As a four times World Champion he knows how to get the most from a car, and also from a race like the one on Sunday.

"He ran a long first stint, giving him fresh tyres and the grip he needed to attack the cars in front. He raced very strongly, put together some great moves, and gave himself and the team a really important boost."

  • Read also: Vettel wondered 'who is next' after Baku tyre failures

Hakkinen believes Baku will have been a confidence booster for Vettel, and that more productive results are bound to follow if he can uphold his new-found form.

"Aston Martin have had a difficult start to the season, but Sebastian is now a lot happier with the car and if he can continue to build confidence in its performance I am sure this will not be the last time we see him on the podium this year."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Hakkinen: Baku 'not the last podium' for Vettel in 2021 appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.