Celtics Pick 18-Year-Old French Pro Juhann Begarin In Second Round Of NBA Draft

Begarin didn't play college ball but he has already played two years professionally in Paris.

Celtics Pick 18-Year-Old French Pro Juhann Begarin In Second Round Of NBA Draft

BOSTON (AP) — The Celtics’ priorities this summer are to add some experience around their solid young core. So they didn’t enter Thursday night’s NBA draft eyeing a lot of fresh faces they’d have to find roster spots for.

Instead, they chose a young prospect they won’t feel pressure to rush onto the court anytime soon.

Boston selected 18-year-old French wing player Juhann Begarin with the No. 45 pick, the second straight year it has added an overseas player likely a few years away from playing an NBA game.

Begarin, who didn’t play college ball, has already played two years professionally in Paris and represents another opportunity for the Celtics to watch a developing player from afar, while still getting him valuable experience against top talent.

New Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens said “that’s the likely avenue” for Begarin.

“A big strong versatile guard who can guard up,” Stevens said. “He’s a guy we think at his age and his body and his physical ability and the way he works and the time he’s put in so far, he’s gonna have a really good career ahead of him.”

Boston drafted Yam Madar, a 19-year-old Israeli League pro, in 2020 with its second-round pick. Madar, now 20, will play with the Celtics during summer league and could be in line to earn a two-way spot for the regular season.

Boston didn’t have a first-round pick Thursday after trading the No. 16 selection to Oklahoma City last month as part of the deal that sent point guard Kemba Walker to the Thunder.

In Begarin, the Celtics add a skilled guard with a big first step who has a constantly attacking style that could fit in nicely with Boston’s young core. He is also the 2019 MVP of Basketball Without Borders Europe and is an alumnus of the same sports training program in France that helped produce retired NBA players Tony Parker and Boris Diaw.

Last month’s OKC trade also brought back big man Al Horford, who was a member of the NBA All-Defensive team with the Celtics in 2017-18 while also posting the best assist numbers of his career.

It’s a continuation of what’s already been a busy offseason for Boston.

In addition to the trade with OKC, Stevens left the bench after eight seasons to take over for Danny Ainge following decision to retire following this past season.

His second big move in that role after trading Walker was to hire his successor, eventually deciding on former Brooklyn Nets assistant Ime Udoka, one of the preferred candidates of Celtics stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

It’s part of an ongoing effort to build around the duo as Boston tries to compete with the the NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers.

“I think we need to be mindful of our near and far-term views and at the same time add hopefully edge and some experience to our team,” Stevens said. “We know who we’re building this thing around and we know what we’re trying to accomplish.”
___
More AP NBA: https://apnews.com/NBA and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

(© Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Source : CBS Boston More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Residents Begin To Clean Up, Access Damage After Two Tornados Touch Down In Bucks County Leaving Path Of Destruction

Thursday's severe weather outbreak was the worst the region has seen in recent history.

Residents Begin To Clean Up, Access Damage After Two Tornados Touch Down In Bucks County Leaving Path Of Destruction

TREVOSE, Pa. (CBS) – Two confirmed tornados touched down in Bucks County on Thursday night. We’re now getting a better look at the damage as residents and businesses begin to pick up the pieces after a night of wild weather.

Thursday’s severe weather outbreak was the worst the region has seen in recent history. There were 14 tornado warnings across the region, and at least two were confirmed in Bucks County.

In Trevose, a twister tore a car dealership into pieces. We’re now seeing dramatic video from inside the showroom, seconds after the tornado hit.

Chopper 3 was over the scene where you can see part of the roof of the showroom is completely gone. Out in the parking lot, the cars didn’t fare any better. Many were pushed around and banged into each other. There is shattered glass everywhere.

One car was picked up, flipped over, and slammed down on top of other cars.

Moments before the tornado struck Faulker Auto on Street Road, workers scrambled to the bathroom to escape the danger. The man who shot the video said it was absolutely terrifying.

This tornado touched down just after 7 p.m. Thursday and left a path of destruction in its wake.

Bensalem’s Director of Public Safety tells CBS3 the tornado touched down in the township along the Old Lincoln Highway corridor. He says it came up near Neshaminy Mall and went down through the Penn Valley Trailer Park, the Turnpike, Street Road, crossing over to the Linconia section, the Concord Park section, and to Faulkner.

Trees were been snapped in half and a bunch of light poles have been pushed over. Some of them bent as if they’re not made out of metal.

It was a terrifying experience for people inside the business.

Four people were hurt, but not badly.

The timing of this storm was key. Had it hit a few hours earlier, the area would have been packed with people.

“The Faulkner area looked like a TV show like a bomb went off. It is gone,” Bensalem Police Department Director of Public Safety Fred Harran said. “Water flowing, you could smell gas until PECO was able to get out there and shut things, secure things. I’ve been doing this for 34 years and I’ve never seen that kind of devastation from a storm. We have power outages in this area that I described earlier. PECO is doing a great job trying to get power back on, and we’re trying to work with PennDOT dot to get the roads cleaned up… That area has a lot of traffic, but we’re still having a hard time getting the roads cleaned up.”

Harran goes on to say, “As you know in the last 15 days, this is the third storm to hit Bensalem Township. The first one started on July 12, the devastating flooding then one that Saturday now again today [Thursday], 15 days later from the first one.”

Damage assessment will continue through the day Friday. At this point, it is unclear just how many homes were damaged but clearly a whole lot of damage to clean up,  and then simply rebuilt.

In the meantime, the Red Cross has set up a shelter at Neshaminy High School. It will remain open throughout the day Friday for people who need information and resources.

CBS3’s Jan Carabeo contributed to this story. 

Source : CBS Philadelphia More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.