Chicken burgers – Midweek dinner plans settled
The ultimate chicken burger recipe loved by young and old.
Enjoy a firm favourite among young and old. Homemade chicken burgers are satisfying and packed with flavour.
Preparing these chicken burgers from scratch is a labour of love but worth every moment. First, you start with a whole chicken and poach it for about 30 minutes with the stock and a little bit of water.
Next, remove all the skin and bones and roughly chop up the meat with a food processor. You can also do it by hand, but you will save lots of time by using a food processor.
Then, with a few more steps, you will have the most deliciously prepared chicken burgers in the making.
This recipe was developed by Beatrice Tollman. the founder of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection. In her book, “A Life in Food”, this recipe can also be found.
Enjoy this lovely alternative to beef burgers. The family will love it and if you have teenagers, they will be nagging every week for this flavour-packed meal.
Serve with a crispy side salad.
Chicken burgers recipeCourse: MainCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
1 large chicken (about 1 kg)
1 litre chicken stock (homemade or store-bought)
1 cube organic chicken bouillon
25 g butter
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped onion, browned
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Poach the chicken in the stock mixed with a little water for about 30 minutes until half cooked. Keep the stock.
- Remove all skin and bones and roughly chop up the meat in the food processor, or by hand.
- Sauté the onion in a little vegetable oil until golden brown and most of the moisture is gone, then set aside.
- Crumble and mix the chicken bouillon cube with 1 tablespoon of the reserved chicken stock.
- Melt the butter and combine with the chicken.
- Mix together some of the butter mixture with the parsley, onion, chopped chicken and pepper. Add more butter if needed – the mixture should not be too moist.
- Shape into burgers about the same size as your favourite hamburger. A thickness of around 3 cm works well.
- In a pre-heated non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the burgers (not too close together) until golden brown and crispy.
- Cook the other side of the burgers in the same way. Do not press down while cooking, as this removes the moisture and makes the burger too dry.
- Serve with a little mango chutney on the side.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
For more recipes that will make those around your dinner table feel as if they are in a five-star hotel, have a look at our recipe page. We have so many tasty suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.