Chocolate cake with ganache topping – The ultimate indulgence
Sweeten your life with this deliciously moist, rich and luxurious chocolate cake recipe.
If you are looking for a rich, decadent and moist chocolate cake recipe, you have come to the right place. This recipe is everything a chocolate lover is looking for in a luxurious chocolate cake. Topped with creamy, chocolaty ganache, this is the ultimate indulgence.
This recipe comes together easily and fairly quickly without much hassle. It is the perfect recipe to have up your sleeve if you need to quickly whip together a cake for a gathering or even a birthday. The ganache topping adds that extra touch that elevates a chocolate cake from being “good” to “excellent”.
Decorate the chocolate cake with nuts or berries or any other topping of your choice like sprinkles. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee during your teatime break. However, nothing stops you from sneaking to the kitchen in the middle of the night for a quick midnight snack.
Let us know if you have tried this chocolate cake recipe.
Chocolate cake with ganache topping recipeCourse: DessertCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coffee powder
1 cup milk or buttermilk
½ cup vegetable
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup boiling water
- Ganache topping
80 ml fresh cream
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coffee powder.
- In another bowl, add all the wet ingredients together – milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla essence.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredients and combine (either in a mixer or by hand) until combined.
- Coat two pans with cooking spray and distribute equal parts of batter into each.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Ganache topping
- In a small saucepan, bring the fresh cream to a boil.
- Take it off the stove, place the chocolate chips in the fresh cream and cover for 5 minutes.
- Mix until combined and you have the perfect chocolate ganache.
- If it’s too runny, place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Decorate the cake
- Once the cake is cooled and the chocolate ganache is at the right consistency, cover the top of one layer with a thin layer of the chocolate.
- Sandwich the two cakes together and pour the rest of the ganache over the top of the cake – allow to dribble over the sides to coat the sides.
- Decorate with nuts or any type of berry.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tasty recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.