Clock Runs Out On Mets In Attempt To Sign Top Pick Kumar Rocker

The New York Mets failed to sign their top pick from last month's amateur draft, Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker, by Sunday's 5 p.m. EDT deadline, over concern about his medical scans.

Clock Runs Out On Mets In Attempt To Sign Top Pick Kumar Rocker

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The New York Mets failed to sign their top pick from last month’s amateur draft, Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker, by Sunday’s 5 p.m. EDT deadline, over concern about his medical scans.

New York selected Rocker with the 10th overall pick and will receive an extra selection in next year’s amateur draft, the pick after the 10th choice, because of their failure to sign the 21-year-old right-hander.

The Mets lost the $4,739,900 slot value available for draft signings that was assigned to Rocker’s pick.

“This is clearly not the outcome we had hoped for and wish Kumar nothing but success moving forward,” Mets acting general manager Zack Scott said in a statement.

READ MORE: Fill-In Max Schrock Gets 5 Hits, Reds Hammer Mets

Rocker was a junior and is eligible to return to Vanderbilt for his senior season.

“Kumar Rocker is healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons,” his representative, Scott Boras, said in a statement. “Immediately upon conclusion of his collegiate season, he had an MRI on both his shoulder and his elbow. When compared with his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change. Kumar requires no medical attention and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career.”

Rocker was the only player among the first 29 first-round picks who failed to sign.

Two players finalized agreements on the final day.

Arizona signed Jordan Lawair, a shortstop from Jesuit College Prep in Texas, for $6,713,300, and Miami signed Marlins, Kahlil Watson, a shortstop from Wake Forest High School in North Carolina, for $4,540,790.

This year’s amateur draft was cut from 40 rounds to 20 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Last year’s draft was reduced to five rounds.

READ MORE: Rizzo Shines Again, Yankees Complete Sweep Of Marlins

The Mets spent $3,407,900 of the $4,286,400 remaining in their signing bonus pool, reaching agreements with their other nine picks in the first round. Failing to sign Rocker left $878,500 unspent.

Texas signed Oregon right-hander Aaron Zavala, the 38th overall pick, for $830,000.

The second-highest pick who failed to sign was Florida outfielder Fabian Jud, also a junior, who was selected by Boston 40th overall.

Pittsburgh signed right-hander Owen Kellington, a high school pitcher for Vermont, for $600,000 after taking him 102nd.

(© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Source : CBS News York More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Texas Gov. Abbott Acknowledges Report Of Buffalo Bills Considering Austin As Possible Relocation Spot

Could there be a third NFL team in the Lone Star State? It appears Texas Gov. Greg Abbott at least acknowledges the idea.

Texas Gov. Abbott Acknowledges Report Of Buffalo Bills Considering Austin As Possible Relocation Spot

AUSTIN, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Could there be a third NFL team in the Lone Star State? It appears Texas Gov. Greg Abbott at least acknowledges the idea.

According to a report from ESPN writer Seth Wickersham, the Buffalo Bills are looking into potential relocation spots, including Austin, amid negotiations for a new stadium.

The idea of Austin or another city as a possible destination could be seen as a “threat,” according to Wickersham.

In a tweet, the Texas governor reacted to news of the report with a simple emoji of eyes glancing to the left. Abbott has not said what he thinks of the possibility.

Bills ownership is currently seeking approval for a $1.5 billion stadium in Orchard Park that is taxpayer-funded, newspaper The Buffalo News reports.

According to the newspaper, the team made it clear to government negotiators that there are other cities that would be ideal landing spots for the NFL franchise but there have been no “overt threats” to leave New York.

A spokesperson for New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told The Buffalo News that the governor “is committed to the Bills staying in Buffalo, as demonstrated by the state’s contribution to the recent $130 million investment in the current stadium.”

Source : CBS Dallas More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.