CONFIRMED: ‘Skeem Saam’s Koko Mantsha is NOT dead
Popular soapie, Skeem Saam has disputed claims that its actress, Lydia Mokgokoloshi who plays the character of Koko Mantsha is dead.
Popular SABC 1 soap, Skeem Saam has confirmed that Lydia Mokgokoloshi who plays the character of Katlego’s grandmother Koko Mantsha is not dead. Skeem Saam is one of the most watched soapies in the country and airs on SABC 1 from 18:30 to 19:00 weekdays.
A fake and unverified SABC 1 Facebook page broke the news of Koko Mantsha’s death. The fake news spread like wildfire on Twitter as well, with fans sending condolences and heartfelt messages thinking that Mantsha is dead.
WHO IS KOKO MANTSHA?
- Mokgokoloshi is an 80-year-old veteran actress who was born in the small village of Botlokwa in Limpopo.
- She rose to fame playing the role of Mma-Nkosheng in popular 1980s Pedi drama Bophelo ke Semphekgo.
- She has also acted in TV dramas like Ngwanaka Okae and Muvhango
- She was a schoolteacher for more than 20 years in Soweto.
- In 2015 she received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the South African Film and Television Awards (Saftas)
Koko Mantsha is well know for her clairvoyance and dreams. She has forewarned many people in Turfloop against bad things that might happen to them and these include Mma Kunutu herself (Celia) her daughter Rachel and Katlego’s mom, Charity. She is good friends with Charles and Peter “Wallet” Rakau.
Koko Mantsha has been scarce on the Limpopo based soapie and it was explained in the storyline that Koko was going to her home for some peace of mind and to spend quality time with her brother Josias (Mahuma Rapetsoa who sadly passed away in December 2020).
Skeem Saam spokesperson Sumaya Mogola told SowetanLIVE that she will still be in and out of the story. She just won’t be shooting as much as she used to.
“Our shooting schedule gets really hectic at times and we don’t want to wear her out. She is at a very sensitive age so she needs as much rest, care and comfort as possible.”
Mogola clarified that the decision for Mokgokoloshi’s sabbatical was taken before the Covid-19 pandemic hit SA.
READ: ‘Skeem Saam’s’ Nokuzola Mlengana (Sis Ouma) has passed away