COVID-19: 57 more who travelled from Western to Eastern Cape test positive
The Eastern Cape health department has confirmed that another 57 travellers from the Eastern Cape have tested positive for COVID-19
Another 57 people who recently travelled from the Western Cape to the Eastern Cape have teste positive for COVID-19.
Government opened a seven-day cross-provincial travel window in the first week of Level 4 lockdown restrictions.
Western Cape travellers contribute to Eastern Cape COVID-19 numbers
During this period, thousands entered the Eastern Cape from the Western Cape, the epicentre of the virus.
Initially, 80 of the travellers tested positive for the coronavirus, and the number has now risen to 137 after another 57 confirmed cases.
Eastern Cape health MEC Sindiswa Gomba says this has contributed the province’s caseload, which has now reached 1 078 as of Saturday, with the death toll at 21.
The majority of the new cases in the province are shared between OR Tambo, Buffalo City, Amathole and Graaff-Reinet municipalities.
According to Gomba, efforts to ramp up tracing have been put in place.
“Because we cannot get to everyone who recently travelled from other provinces at the same time, we are calling on people to be responsible citizens and contact our 24-hour call centre on 08000 32364 so that they can be screened and tested if they have any of the symptoms consistent with COVID-19.”
She added: “We need everyone to play their part because people’s lives are at risk. If we all get infected by the coronavirus at the same time, our healthcare system will not cope and it will result in more deaths than could have been prevented,” said Gomba.
South Africa has 9 420 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with the death toll at 186.
Thousands of seasonal farmworkers enter the EC
More than half of the cases have come from the Western Cape, which has recorded 4 809 infections and a death toll of 95.
Many of the travellers who crossed into the Eastern Cape are said to be seasonal farmworkers employed in the Western Cape.
EC Premier Oscar Mabuyane revealed earlier in the week that they are struggling to trace the potential carriers of the deadly virus who entered the province during the first week of May.