COVID-19 positive taxi driver forced into isolation, faces attempted murder rap

A COVID-19 positive taxi driver faces charges of attempted murder as police say he knowingly endangered the lives of at least seven passengers.

COVID-19 positive taxi driver forced into isolation, faces attempted murder rap

A COVID-19 positive taxi driver will be charged with attempted murder and has been placed in forced isolation, police revealed on Friday 1 May.

COVID-19 positive taxi driver faces attempted murder charges

The 35-year-old male had been tested for the virus on 30 April after being stopped at a roadblock near Tsitsikamma in the Eastern Cape. The driver was reportedly informed of his positive results on Wednesday 6 May but decided to undertake a journey on 7 May.

The COVID-19 positive taxi driver was stopped again in a roadblock near Beaufort West in the Western Cape. Police records informed officers that the driver should not be on the road.

According to South African Police Services spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa the COVID-19 positive taxi driver will face charges of attempted murder as well as multiple contraventions of the National Disaster Management Act or so-called ‘lockdown regulations.

The unnamed COVID-19 positive taxi driver was reportedly making the journey back to the Eastern Cape when he was stopped.

“A 35-year-old taxi driver is facing attempted murder charges (read with DMA Regulation 14(3) and in a quarantine site in Cape Town after he was stopped in a vehicle checkpoint (VCP) on the R61 in Beaufort West yesterday ferrying about seven passengers. 

“The driver, who had apparently tested positive for the virus after taking a test on 30 April 2020 on the N2 Tsitsikamma roadblock in the Eastern Cape, was duly informed two days ago by the testing authority of the outcome of the test. Yet, he allegedly proceeded with the trip on Thursday 7 May 2020 and was apprehended on the R61 road near Beaufort West en-route to the Eastern Cape.”

Passengers to purgatory

The COVID-19 positive taxi driver and his seven passengers have been taken to Cape Town and placed in quarantine.

A police spokesperson said that all officers, from the SAPS and traffic department, who came into contact with the COVID-19 positive taxi driver would be tested and monitored.

While the SAPS have declared their intent to charge the driver with attempted murder, he will only be charged once investigators have consulted with health officials.

“The police and traffic officials who escorted the driver and passengers back to Cape Town will undergo the necessary monitoring in line with COVID-19 protocols, as a precaution.

“The police will ensure the driver is charged and appears before a court of law after consultation with the department of health officials.”

The SAPS have issued a pleas to all citizens to respect the rule of law. 

Source : The South African More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Motshwari receives well-wishes after testing positive for COVID-19

News of Ben Motshwari testing positive for COVID-19 broke on Thursday afternoon.

Motshwari receives well-wishes after testing positive for COVID-19

The South African soccer fraternity has relayed well-wishes to Orlando Pirates midfielder Ben Motshwari after the player tested positive for COVID-19.

The Buccaneers shared the news on Thursday afternoon, revealing that the 29-year-old had presented flu-like symptoms before being sent for tests.

SA soccer fraternity stunned by COVID-19 news

His results returned positive and he has undergone 14-day self-isolation.

“He will need to test negative before he is cleared,” Orlando Pirates said in a statement.

“In accordance with relevant protocols, NHI has been notified of the case by the Club.

“The health and wellbeing of our players, officials, and the wider community remains our highest priority in this difficult time.

“The Club has also advised that the player must notify the doctors of all the people that he has been in contact with to ensure that they also get tested.”

Orlando Pirates

Well-wishes pour in for Ben Motshwari 

Motshwari became the second confirmed South African soccer player to have tested positive for the coronavirus, the other being Portugal-based Sphephelo Sithole, who plies his trade for top-flight outfit Belenenses.

The Buccaneers star received overwhelming support following the announcement, including messages from his former club Bidvest Wits, as well as reigning SA league champions Mamelodi Sundowns coach, Pitso Mosimane.

Other clubs to send through well-wishes to the player include Chippa United and Golden Arrows, while former teammate Brilliant Khuzwayo – who arrived at Orlando Pirates at the same time as Motshwari – also sent his message of support.

Source : The South African More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.