Creamy Chicken A La King – Comfort food at its best
With this recipe you can easily whip together your own creamy sauce to make your own Chicken A La King dish lip-smackingly delicious.
We all need a bowl of comfort food from time to time, especially now with autumn settling in. This Creamy Chicken A La King recipe is just the meal to satisfy that craving for a hearty meal.
This recipe does not use the pre-mixed Chicken A La King sauce you can get in the supermarket. With this recipe, you can easily whip together your own creamy sauce to make your Creamy Chicken A La King dish lip-smackingly delicious.
If you have all your ingredients ready, you can have this easy meal ready in less than 30 minutes. It is a definite crowd-pleaser that will satisfy everyone around the table. The best part is that you can use some leftover chicken from the previous day to prepare this tasty meal.
Serve this easy dinner on rice, pasta, mashed potatoes, toast or even biscuits! You can also freeze any leftovers for another day.
Creamy Chicken A La King RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
5 chicken breasts, sliced in small cubes
½ cup chicken stock
oil and butter
½ cup salted butter
2 small punnets mushrooms, washed and sliced
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
200 ml cream
1 cup red sweet pepper, chopped
1 small bunch spring onions, chopped
frozen peas (optional)
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add one tablespoon vegetable oil and butter.
- Place chicken breasts cutlets into the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until light golden brown.
- Add the chicken stock and cook 6 -10 minutes or until soft and done. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet peppers and chopped spring onions.
- Add the chicken broth and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until there are no specks of flour left; bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Working quickly, slowly pour in the cream while whisking vigorously. Cook a few minutes more.
- Add the cooked chicken and mix well.
- Season to taste with black pepper.
- Serve with tagliatelle pasta or rice.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
If you are looking for more tasty recipes to prepare for your family and friends, just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
Also, if you have a recipe you would like to submit as part of our South African themed recipe competition, click here to enter and stand a chance to win R1000. Each recipe published as part of this competition will receive R100.