Diego Sanchez says he’s enrolling in Professional Athletes Brain Health Study

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY SportsDiego Sanchez on Monday said he’s in communications with the UFC once again and has agreed in principle to enroll in the Professional Athletes Brain Health Study funded in part by the industry leader. “We’re talking, man,” Sanchez told MMA Fighting. “We’re going to do some studies and get myself and my mental health and everything documented by the doctors at the Cleveland Health Clinic and a couple other places that they’re going to pay for me to go to. We’re going to see how that goes, and then we’re going to get a second opinion.” MMA Fighting was unable to reach the UFC for comment on Sanchez’s comments about his enrollment. Shortly after he was released from contract for refusing to certify he wasn’t suffering from any issues with his brain health, Sanchez called for the UFC to pay for neurological testing with a doctor of his choosing. He previously said he didn’t trust the promotion to choose the provider after he passed his pre-fight medicals but was still removed from the fight with Cerrone. Like other medical studies, participants in the Professional Athletes Brain Health Study, which studies the long-term health effects of repetitive head trauma, are kept anonymous by the Cleveland Clinic’s Luo Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas. As of January, the UFC said over 100 current and former fighters had enrolled in the study; the promotion re-upped a $1 million contribution to the study to be paid out over the next five years. In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, UFC President Dana White said he wanted the best for Sanchez while blasting The Ultimate Fighter 1 winner’s coach and manager, Josh Fabia, alleging he was “controlling” the fighter and was “batsh*t nuts.” Sanchez remains loyal to his controversial mentor and continues to defend him as a true ally, but he agreed to get checked out through the UFC. “I’ve got to take care of myself now,” he said. “I have issues from fighting for a long career, and I hope that science gets better, that these doctors can do a good job and see what’s going on and give me some help. “To be honest, I feel vulnerable right now, and I’m dealing with a billion-dollar corporation. So if you guys want to pretend like they’re the most honest company and they’re doing the most honest and moral work, you can pretend and bullsh*t yourself, but I ain’t going to believe that. When medicals have been a part of this whole scandal, and medicals potentially being falsified, we don’t know what’s going on. We’ve been a part of an investigation that’s been going on for a couple of years. Right now, we’re at this step. The UFC’s going to help me get some MRIs and some studies done, and we’re going to move forward from there.” Sanchez said in seeking answers about his brain health, he wants to be a positive influence and tell the next generation of athletes they shouldn’t become professional fighters. “I’ll be going to schools and talking to kids about the truth of sports and how to work hard in your education, and maybe you don’t need to join up on the wrestling team to become a UFC fighter,” he said.

Diego Sanchez says he’s enrolling in Professional Athletes Brain Health Study
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Diego Sanchez on Monday said he’s in communications with the UFC once again and has agreed in principle to enroll in the Professional Athletes Brain Health Study funded in part by the industry leader.

“We’re talking, man,” Sanchez told MMA Fighting. “We’re going to do some studies and get myself and my mental health and everything documented by the doctors at the Cleveland Health Clinic and a couple other places that they’re going to pay for me to go to. We’re going to see how that goes, and then we’re going to get a second opinion.”

MMA Fighting was unable to reach the UFC for comment on Sanchez’s comments about his enrollment.

Shortly after he was released from contract for refusing to certify he wasn’t suffering from any issues with his brain health, Sanchez called for the UFC to pay for neurological testing with a doctor of his choosing. He previously said he didn’t trust the promotion to choose the provider after he passed his pre-fight medicals but was still removed from the fight with Cerrone.

Like other medical studies, participants in the Professional Athletes Brain Health Study, which studies the long-term health effects of repetitive head trauma, are kept anonymous by the Cleveland Clinic’s Luo Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas. As of January, the UFC said over 100 current and former fighters had enrolled in the study; the promotion re-upped a $1 million contribution to the study to be paid out over the next five years.

In an interview with Yahoo! Sports, UFC President Dana White said he wanted the best for Sanchez while blasting The Ultimate Fighter 1 winner’s coach and manager, Josh Fabia, alleging he was “controlling” the fighter and was “batsh*t nuts.”

Sanchez remains loyal to his controversial mentor and continues to defend him as a true ally, but he agreed to get checked out through the UFC.

“I’ve got to take care of myself now,” he said. “I have issues from fighting for a long career, and I hope that science gets better, that these doctors can do a good job and see what’s going on and give me some help.

“To be honest, I feel vulnerable right now, and I’m dealing with a billion-dollar corporation. So if you guys want to pretend like they’re the most honest company and they’re doing the most honest and moral work, you can pretend and bullsh*t yourself, but I ain’t going to believe that. When medicals have been a part of this whole scandal, and medicals potentially being falsified, we don’t know what’s going on. We’ve been a part of an investigation that’s been going on for a couple of years. Right now, we’re at this step. The UFC’s going to help me get some MRIs and some studies done, and we’re going to move forward from there.”

Sanchez said in seeking answers about his brain health, he wants to be a positive influence and tell the next generation of athletes they shouldn’t become professional fighters.

“I’ll be going to schools and talking to kids about the truth of sports and how to work hard in your education, and maybe you don’t need to join up on the wrestling team to become a UFC fighter,” he said.

Source : MMA Fighting More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

UFC welterweight and commentator Alan Jouban announces MMA retirement

UFC veteran Alan Jouban is calling it a career. On Monday, the welterweight competitor, who first began fighting professionally in 2011, announced that he is retiring from fighting effective immediately. “I’d like to officially announce my retirement from MMA,” Jouban wrote on Instagram. “Fighting and the UFC have given me everything I have today! I would not change a single thing from my journey because I got to live my dream and not know what was next. My coaches, my teammates, those of you that were a part of this, I appreciate you so much! Thank you to my supporters and even my opponents along the way. “Injuries, age and life have shown me that it’s time. If I can’t compete to my fullest, then I won’t. So I’ll focus my time now on broadcasting where I can still share my passion and knowledge for the sport with everyone at home. Thank you to everyone for all the love over the years. I look forward to becoming a staple in the sport from this end now as well.” View this post on Instagram A post shared by ALAN JOUBAN (@alanjouban) Jouban, 38, competed in numerous regional promotions before joining the UFC roster in 2014 and after amassing a 9-2 resume outside the promotion. Inside the octagon, Jouban routinely put on exciting fights, taking out a number of notable opponents over the years including Belal Muhammad, Mike Perry and Ben Saunders. His activity waned since 2018, with only one fight for each of the past three years, including his last appearance in 2020 where he earned a win over Jared Gordon by unanimous decision. In addition to a modeling career away from fighting, Jouban has become a staple on UFC broadcasts while serving as part of the in studio analyst team on ESPN. Judging by his comments, Jouban plans to put even more of his focus on his broadcast career now that he’s hanging up his gloves for good. Jouban’s career comes to an end with a 17-7 record overall including an 8-5 record in the UFC.

UFC welterweight and commentator Alan Jouban announces MMA retirement

UFC veteran Alan Jouban is calling it a career.

On Monday, the welterweight competitor, who first began fighting professionally in 2011, announced that he is retiring from fighting effective immediately.

“I’d like to officially announce my retirement from MMA,” Jouban wrote on Instagram. “Fighting and the UFC have given me everything I have today! I would not change a single thing from my journey because I got to live my dream and not know what was next. My coaches, my teammates, those of you that were a part of this, I appreciate you so much! Thank you to my supporters and even my opponents along the way.

“Injuries, age and life have shown me that it’s time. If I can’t compete to my fullest, then I won’t. So I’ll focus my time now on broadcasting where I can still share my passion and knowledge for the sport with everyone at home. Thank you to everyone for all the love over the years. I look forward to becoming a staple in the sport from this end now as well.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by ALAN JOUBAN (@alanjouban)

Jouban, 38, competed in numerous regional promotions before joining the UFC roster in 2014 and after amassing a 9-2 resume outside the promotion.

Inside the octagon, Jouban routinely put on exciting fights, taking out a number of notable opponents over the years including Belal Muhammad, Mike Perry and Ben Saunders.

His activity waned since 2018, with only one fight for each of the past three years, including his last appearance in 2020 where he earned a win over Jared Gordon by unanimous decision.

In addition to a modeling career away from fighting, Jouban has become a staple on UFC broadcasts while serving as part of the in studio analyst team on ESPN. Judging by his comments, Jouban plans to put even more of his focus on his broadcast career now that he’s hanging up his gloves for good.

Jouban’s career comes to an end with a 17-7 record overall including an 8-5 record in the UFC.

Source : MMA Fighting More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.