FIA 'evaluating procedures' after marshals put in harm's way at Imola

The FIA is evaluating changes to its procedures following a dangerous situation that occurred during last weekend's Emilia... The post FIA 'evaluating procedures' after marshals put in harm's way at Imola appeared first on F1i.com.

FIA 'evaluating procedures' after marshals put in harm's way at Imola

The FIA is evaluating changes to its procedures following a dangerous situation that occurred during last weekend's Emilia Romagna GP, when marshals present on the track during the Safety Car period were put in harm's way.

The Safety Car was deployed after Red Bull's Max Verstappen had veered off into the gravel trap at the Variante Villeneuve following a tyre failure.

During the caution period, Williams' George Russell lost control of his FW43 on the approach to Acque Minerale, the Briton's car hitting the barriers and spreading debris.

But as marshals were conducting a clean-up, several backmarkers who had been allowed to overtake the Safety Car ahead of the race's re-start barreled down towards Acque Minerali, only to discover the group of marshals in action in the area.

Both Romain Grosjean and Sebastian Vettel radioed in to signal the dangerous situation while Racing Point's Lance Stroll, the last driver of the group to unlap himself, approached the spot at considerable speed.

Formula 1's governing was made aware of the incident and stated on Tuesday that it would review current procedures and consider changes to its procedures.

"The safety of the marshals and trackside officials is of the highest priority for the FIA," it said.

"Race control was made aware of the issue and is evaluating whether any changes can be made to the procedures currently in place to further protect the marshals and officials and minimise the likelihood of a reoccurrence in the future."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post FIA 'evaluating procedures' after marshals put in harm's way at Imola appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Renault juniors wrap up Bahrain four-day F1 test

Renault juniors Christian Lundgaard, Guanyu Zhou and Oscar Piastri have concluded their four-day F1 test with the Enstone... The post Renault juniors wrap up Bahrain four-day F1 test appeared first on F1i.com.

Renault juniors wrap up Bahrain four-day F1 test

Renault juniors Christian Lundgaard, Guanyu Zhou and Oscar Piastri have concluded their four-day F1 test with the Enstone squad at Bahrain.

As part of Renault's young driver development program, the trio was put through its paces at Sakhir onboard a 2018-spec R.S.18.

Both Lundgaard and Zhou had previously experienced F1 machinery, but the test was a first for this year's FIA European F3 champion Piastri.

The 19-year-old Aussie completed a total of 82 laps at Bahrain, running on various fuel loads and on a range of different Pirelli compounds.

"I really enjoyed the experience in the R.S.18," said the rookie. "It was my first time in a Formula 1 car, so it was very exciting if not a little bit nerve-wracking at the same time!

"Once I did the install lap, all the nerves went away, and I focused on having fun and driving fast.

"It was a really enjoyable experience and I felt the pace was quite good. I got used to the car pretty quickly and I certainly learnt a lot.

I’m looking forward to whenever the next experience may be, so thanks to Renault, both the Academy and the Formula 1 team, for the opportunity.

"I feel very lucky, as not everyone gets to do this and it’s not something you do every day."

You may also like

 

Lundgaard was the first driver to take to the track last Thursday, the Dane putting 101 laps under his belt. Piastri's run followed the next day while Zhou's test was spread over Sunday and Monday.

Renault Sport Academy Director Mia Sharizman praised all three drivers for the performance and feedback they delivered over the course of the four-day test.

"It was good to see Christian and Guanyu manage to complete their respective programmes, which was geared more towards preparing them for their remaining Formula 2 rounds in Bahrain later in the month," Sharizman said.

"For both drivers to be able to do more than 100 laps per day, shows a step forward and upwards progression from their last year F1 Test in the R.S.17.

"I am impressed with Oscar’s approach for his first day in the F1 car. He managed to get up to speed pretty quickly and complete his run plan.

"We can see from his first day in the car that he is capable of adapting to a new car quite easily, which is one of the biggest traits that we would like to see.

"We had good feedback from the F1 engineers of the performance from all three drivers and they can see that the level is getting higher and higher each year, which is a good sign for things to come."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Renault juniors wrap up Bahrain four-day F1 test appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.