Final crew taken off Ruby Princess ahead of departure

A final group of crew members are being taken off the Ruby Princess cruise ship as it prepares to depart Australian waters later today.

Final crew taken off Ruby Princess ahead of departure

A final group of crew members are being taken off the Ruby Princess as it prepares to depart Australian waters later today.

Around 150 Filipino crew are already on their way to Sydney Airport to start their repatriation process, before catching a flight back to Manila this evening.

Another 21 crew have been placed in mandatory quarantine in hotels in Sydney, where they will remain for the next 14 days.

In total, 300 crew members are expected to disembark, leaving around 500 on board to steer the vessel into international waters.

The cruise ship is scheduled to depart Port Kembla in Wollongong at 4pm today.

It marks exactly five weeks since the ill-fated vessel docked in Sydney and let 2700 passengers off to fly home to locations across Australia and overseas.

The ship has since been linked to almost 700 COVID-19 cases in Australia and 21 deaths.

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys said he is "extremely confident" the ship will be able to leave on time.

"We're very confident that the scheduling is holding up and that the ship will leave this afternoon," he said.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian this morning defended her decision not to notify the public that a NSW Police inquiry into the Ruby Princess was beginning yesterday.

"Let the commissioner do his job, please – let him get to the bottom of this," she told reporters at this morning's press conference.

"The people of NSW deserve to have the answers. I want the answers."

The ship's senior doctor yesterday revealed to the inquiry she was "surprised" passengers weren't screened before being allowed to disembark.

Ilse Von Watzdorf said a number of COVID-19 swabs had been sent off for testing when the ship docked, but passengers were allowed to disembark before the results came back.

She also admitted that if it had been her decision, she "would have waited" for the swab results.

For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the and set notifications to on at the or

You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the and the .


Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?


Next Article

Speeding Porsche driver found

The 41-year-old is speaking to police, after allegedly fleeing a horror crash on a Melbourne freeway and sharing graphic images of the scene on social media.

Speeding Porsche driver found

The speeding driver of a Porsche who fled the scene of a horror crash on a Melbourne freeway where four police officers were killed has been found by police.

The 41-year-old driver is being spoken to by police and assisting Homicide Squad detectives with the investigation.

All four police officers were outside of their vehicles talking with the driver of the Porsche when they were hit from behind by a semi-trailer refrigeration truck at 5.40pm in Kew yesterday.

Read more:

Police said the driver took graphic photos of the scene and shared the images on social media, before fleeing on foot.

Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton described the man's actions as "disgusting" and confirmed he was known to police.

"He has an extensive criminal history, involving a range of different offending backgrounds," Mr Ashton said this morning.

The scene of a horror crash on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne where four police officers were killed on Wednesday night.

He was stopped by police on the Eastern Freeway, between the Chandler Highway and Burke Road exits, at 4.50pm yesterday for speeding after officers clocked the vehicle doing more than 140km/h.

The 41-year-old driver tested positive to "some type of drug" and the attending officers called for backup.

"[That] returned positive results for some type of drug in the system and that has prompted, obviously with the speed and the vehicle, with the driver testing positive, to impound the vehicle," Mr Ashton said.

Two additional police officers from Highway Patrol attended the scene as backup.

A major investigation is underway.

Two additional police officers from Highway Patrol attended the scene as backup.

One female officer and three male officers were killed on impact when the truck struck, while the driver the Porsche was unharmed.

Mr Ashton also confirmed the truck driver suffered a medical episode immediately after the crash.

"The truck itself appears to have moved from one of the traffic lanes in the freeway into the emergency lane and has travelled a short distance in the emergency lane at around about 100km/h and has then slammed into the rear of the Highway Patrol vehicle," Mr Ashton said.

The driver of the truck remains under police guard at hospital where investigators will aim to speak to him today.

Police raided the truck driver's Cranbourne home in Melbourne's outer-east last night.

The tragedy was a timely reminder of the dangerous reality of being a police officer, Mr Ashton added.

Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton gives an update on the horror crash that claimed the lives of four police officers in Melbourne.

"It was a tragic day for obviously the families of these officers and we feel very deeply for them," Mr Ashton said.

"The whole force is reeling this morning from what's occurred last night. It's an unprecedented event for us to lose so many officers in one event, in one very terrible collision on the freeway.

"And officers just doing their work, doing their job, doing a duty that is performed by officers many times a day across our state.

"And it is just a timely reminder of how tragic police work can be at times, and indeed, very unexpectedly at times."

More information is expected to be released about the identify of the police officers who died once all family members were informed.

It is the single deadliest incident in Victoria Police history.

An investigation by the homicide squad and major collision unit is now underway.

Melbourne fatal collision sends shock waves across police force

Police Association Victoria secretary Wayne Gatt paid tribute to the officers, saying the tragedy was "incredibly sad" for everyone involved.

"I think the police force is waking up feeling numb, the members, the men and women of Victoria Police challenged deeply by this," Mr Gatt told Today this morning.

"We are hurting for the families that we know are obviously shocked and in immense pain overall.

"When something like this happens in policing it does send shockwaves around the force. It is one big family and that family transcends borders across the county, across the country and around the world.

"We have had members overnight obviously involved in assisting family and delivering those horrible messages.

"It's just floored us. To lose any member, but to lose four on one occasion is incredible and this will be felt in every police station, in every watch house across the state."

Premier Daniel Andrews led tributes to the female senior constable, male senior constable, and two male constables, who he labelled "heroes".

"Tonight, somewhere in our city, four families' hearts are breaking. Our hearts are breaking with them," Mr Andrews said.

Victoria Police Minister pays tribute to officers killed on Eastern Freeway

'Shocked and immensely sad'

Mr Andrews said an investigation would determine "why — how — this could possibly have happened".

"But one thing is already clear: Though we may not yet know their names — we will always call them heroes."

Victoria Police Minister Lisa Neville said there were plans to fly flags half-mast at parliament.

"There are really no words that you can adequately use tonight to express what has happened. It is an unimaginable tragedy," she said.

"They are heroes. They're Victorian heroes tonight."

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "My deepest sympathies go out to their families, fellow officers and friends at this terrible time."

Teams will be deployed to police stations to support officers who attended the scene and those personally impacted by the deaths.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.