Former French President Giscard d’Estaing investigated for alleged sexual assault

A German journalist accused the 94-year-old former president of groping her in 2018.

Former French President Giscard d’Estaing investigated for alleged sexual assault

French prosecutors have launched an investigation into an alleged sexual assault by France’s former President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, Le Figaro reported.

German journalist Ann-Kathrin Stracke filed a complaint in which she accused the 94-year-old former leader of groping her after an interview in Paris in December 2018 to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt. She described it as a “very degrading” situation.

“I decided to tell my story because I think that people should know that a French former president harassed me sexually after an interview,” she said.

Stracke, who works for German public broadcaster WDR, claims that Giscard d’Estaing groped her backside three times while posing for a photograph after she interviewed him in 2018.

“While taking the photo, he put his hand on my left waist before sliding it to my backside where it stayed,” she said. “I tried to push him away but I didn’t manage to.”

According to Stracke, a cameraman then had to intervene by a putting a chair between the journalist and Giscard d’Estaing. She filed the complaint on March 10 with the backing of her employer who had conducted its own internal investigation into the incident.

Giscard d’Estaing’s lawyer, Jean-Marc Fedida, has previously said that his client has no recollection of the incident or the interview. Fedida condemned “a particularly undignified and offensive media [attack],” and suggested his client was considering legal retaliation.

Valéry Giscard d’Estaing served as President of France from 1974 to 1981.

Source : Politico EU More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Germans pin coronavirus blame on China: poll

Just one in 10 Germans wants closer ties to Beijing, according to survey.

Germans pin coronavirus blame on China: poll

BERLIN — A large majority of Germans thinks China bears some blame for the coronavirus pandemic and believe Beijing has been dishonest about its infection numbers, according to an opinion poll.

The online poll of 1,500 adults, carried out by London-based Redfield & Wilton Strategies on May 7, found 77 percent of respondents said China was at least somewhat to blame for the virus, widely considered to have originated in the city of Wuhan. Some 34 percent of respondents said China was significantly to blame.

Meanwhile, 74 percent said China has dishonestly reported its infection figures.

China has strongly rejected criticism of its response to the outbreak from U.S. officials and others, who have accused Beijing of being slow to inform the world about the coronavirus and expressed skepticism about Chinese infection figures.

The German government has made a summit with Chinese leaders a centerpiece of the plans for its presidency of the Council of the EU in the second half of the year. The summit was due to take place in Leipzig in September but it is unclear whether it will go ahead or whether it may be replaced by a videoconference.

Just 10 percent of the survey respondents wanted closer relations to the world’s second largest economy while 33 percent favored more distance between the two countries. A total of 45 percent said they wanted to maintain relations in their current state.

The respondents broadly backed Germany’s own response to the health crisis, with more than half comfortable returning to some semblance of normal life now that restrictions are being lightly eased.

According to the survey, 68 percent of Germans reckon the government has handled the crisis well and 65 percent approve of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s own response.

Source : Politico EU More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.