Gov. JB Pritzker Says Social Distancing Has ‘Saved Thousands Of Lives’ In Illinois; 1,151 New COVID-19 Cases, 59 More Deaths

“Our case numbers and our hospitalizations are still rising, even if that rise is slower now. Our curve is bending the right way,” Pritzker said.

Gov. JB Pritzker Says Social Distancing Has ‘Saved Thousands Of Lives’ In Illinois; 1,151 New COVID-19 Cases, 59 More Deaths

CHICAGO (CBS) — While Illinois now has surpassed 31,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and more than 1,300 deaths, Gov. JB Pritzker said Monday that social distancing efforts have “saved thousands of lives.”

The Illinois Department Public Health said there have been 1,151 new cases of coronavirus disease in the past day, including 59 deaths. As of Monday afternoon, Illinois has 31,508 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 1,349 deaths.

“Our case numbers and our hospitalizations are still rising, even if that rise is slower now. Our curve is bending the right way,” Pritzker said. “Real progress has been made, and while we never know the exact impacts of the efforts all of you have made to protect your communities, all of the projections indicate that you have saved thousands of lives.”

Pritzker said, while the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths continues to rise, coronavirus patients are taking up a smaller percentage of ventilators and ICU beds at Illinois hospitals.

As of April 6, COVID-19 patients took up 43% of the state’s available 2,300 ICU beds and 29% of the state’s ventilators; as of Sunday, they accounted for 40% of the state’s 3,300 available ICU beds, and 23% of the state’s ventilators, according to Pritzker.

“We are still seeing too many Illinoisans hospitalized with this virus, but because Illinoisans have come together by social distancing, learning at home, and staying at home, we’ve so far prevented our worst case scenarios,” he said.

This is a developing story…

Source : CBS Chicago More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Republicans attack Facebook as network shuts down anti-lockdown protests

The social network has already removed protest messages in California, New Jersey and Nebraska.

Republicans attack Facebook as network shuts down anti-lockdown protests

Facebook is blocking anti-quarantine protesters from using the site to organize in-person gatherings that violate states' stay-at-home orders — a move that had brought an immediate backlash from conservatives including President Donald Trump's eldest son.

The world’s largest social network has removed protest messages in California, New Jersey and Nebraska from its site, a company spokesperson said Monday, after days of rallies across state capitals where protesters — many carrying pro-Trump signs — called for an end to the health restrictions.

The spokesperson said Facebook had been instructed by those state governments that the events are prohibited under the lockdown and social distancing orders that authorities have issued in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"We reached out to state officials to understand the scope of their orders, not about removing specific protests on Facebook," a company spokesperson said. "We remove the posts when gatherings do not follow the health parameters established by the government and are therefore unlawful."

The statement followed confusion over whether states had instructed Facebook to remove the protests from its platform. Earlier Monday, a spokesperson said that "events that defy government's guidance on social distancing aren't allowed on Facebook" and had been removed following guidance from individual states.

The office of New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy told POLITICO it consulted with the company but did not advise it to remove the protests. A spokesman for Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said Facebook reached out last week regarding the state's social distancing policies and was provided with publicly available information.

"The [Nebraska] Governor’s Office is not aware of any Facebook events regarding COVID-19 protests, and has not requested Facebook to pull any events down," said spokesman Justin Pinkerman.

Donald Trump Jr. and Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) were among the conservatives blasting Facebook over its decision.

"Why is @Facebook colluding with state governments to quash peoples free speech?" tweeted Trump Jr., who has joined other supporters of the president in accusing Silicon Valley social media companies of suppressing conservative messaging. "Regardless of what you think about the lockdowns or the protests against them, this is a chilling & disturbing government directed shutdown of peoples 1st Amendment rights. Very dangerous!"


Hawley, another critic of the tech industry, tweeted: "Because free speech is now illegal America?"

The protests have been fueled in part by the president, who has wavered between urging governors to reopen their economies and deferring to state leaders to make such calls. In a series of tweets last week, Trump encouraged the protests with calls to “liberate” Michigan, Virginia and Minnesota, all states with Democratic governors.

Source : Politico USA More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.