Government's controversial tracing app to launch today

The controversial app to help trace people who come into contact with someone with COVID-19 will be launched on Sunday.

Government's controversial tracing app to launch today

The controversial app to help trace people who come into contact with someone with COVID-19 will be launched on Sunday.

The Australian app is based on Singapore's Tracetogether software, which records the Bluetooth connections a phone makes with others so the user can give that data to state health authorities if they catch the virus.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, who has recovered from a bout of COVID-19, said it was a more effective approach than checking your diary or trying to remember where you had been.

"The beauty of the app is that it can have a handshake, if you like, with people that you've been in close proximity with, find the phone," he told Sky Sunday Agenda.

He said the privacy issues had been dealt with, and said the app would help the authorities stop the spread of the virus.

"It's an incredibly important next step."

A broader testing regime and a government contact tracing app are seen as key stepping stones to a relaxation of the economic shutdown.

The government wants at least 40 per cent of the population to sign up so officials can do "industrial-scale" contact tracing.

With AAP.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Debt scrapped for man who lost $575k in 'scissors, paper, rock'

A Canadian man who lost A$575,000 in a game of "scissors, paper, rock" has had his debt quashed after a court ruled it was invalid.

Debt scrapped for man who lost $575k in 'scissors, paper, rock'

A Canadian man who lost A$575,000 in a game of "scissors, paper, rock" has had his debt quashed after a court ruled it was invalid.

After losing the classic schoolyard game, Edmund Mark Hooper was forced to take out a mortgage on his house to cover the amount he owed to his adversary Michel Primeau, the National Post reports.

The best-of-three hand game took place back in 2011, but was first challenged in the Superior Court in 2017.

Under Quebec law, for a bet to be valid it must "require only skill or bodily exertion on the part of the parties", rather than luck, and the amount wagered must not be excessive.

In the 2017 judgment, Superior Court Justice Chantal Chatelain found the game didn't just come down to luck.

The game, Chatelain ruled, could, "in certain precise circumstances, call upon the skill of the parties, particularly in the speed of execution, the sense of observation or the putting in place of a strategic sequence."

But she still invalidated the debt as the amount the pair bet was deemed to be excessive.

The decision was appealed by Mr Primeau, however, this month the Quebec Court of Appeal upheld the previous decision that the debt was invalid.

When tasked with examining the decision, the appeals court reached a slightly different conclusion in a ruling published April 17.

In reaching its decision the court concurred the amount bet was excessive.

However, it also ruled there was a clear element of chance at play in the game.

"It seems evident … that the game also involves a large part of chance, so that it does not take 'only skill or bodily exertion on the part of the parties,' " the court concluded.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.