Greek lawyer in Maguire case ‘scared’ after receiving angry hate mail

Greek prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis … The post Greek lawyer in Maguire case ‘scared’ after receiving angry hate mail appeared first on Football365.

Greek lawyer in Maguire case ‘scared’ after receiving angry hate mail

Greek prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis says he is “scared” after receiving hate mail from angry fans following last week’s incident in Mykonos, involving Harry Maguire. which led to Manchester United captain’s conviction for assault and bribery.

The Man Utd and England defender, 27, and handed a suspended 21-month prison sentence but has subsequently lodged an appeal, which nullifies the verdict and means Maguire has no criminal record ahead of a full retrial.

Paradissis, who was the lawyer for two of the officers in the case, has faced blame from a number of fans, while he has received hate mail as short as “fuck you” but he says the messages have become increasingly threatening.



“When I got the first emails I couldn’t quite believe it,” the lawyer told . “It caught me off guard.”

“We all know … you are a disgusting country full of disgusting people,” read one email. “It is clear to many observers that this was a staged effort to punish a well-known footballer from a foreign country just for the sake of bitterness, jealously or simply bigoted hatred,” were the words in another, while a third said: “Well done! There goes your economy. Your people are going to thank you BIG time.”

Paradissis added: “I’ve had messages saying I will soon be without a job and others accusing us all of corruption. It’s almost as if the entire justice system, and Greece itself, have been put on trial. It’s been taken out of all proportion. Honestly, I’m scared.”

Maguire spoke to the on Thursday about the incident, saying he was “scared for his life” and was concerned he and his family and friends were being kidnapped.

On Friday he tweeted: “Thanks for everyone’s support over the last week, I’m pleased to have had my say and share the true version of events. Looking forward to getting on with life now and the season ahead with @ManUtd and @England.”

He told BBC Sport: “I thought we were getting kidnapped. We got down on our knees, we put our hands in the air, they just started hitting us.

“They were hitting my leg saying my career’s over: ‘No more football. You won’t play again’.

“And at this point I thought there is no chance these are police or I don’t know who they are so I tried to run away, I was in that much of a panic, fear, scared for my life. All the way through it.”

Maguire claimed that incident took place outside a police station after he attempted to take his younger sister Daisy to a hospital because she appeared to be losing consciousness having been approached by two men.

The 27-year-old denied attempting to bribe the police.

When asked about that, he replied: “No, for sure. As soon as I saw that statement, it’s just ridiculous.”

Maguire was initially selected in England’s squad for the Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark next month, but within hours had been withdrawn by manager Gareth Southgate following the initial guilty verdict of the court on the island of Syros.

that an apology might help Maguire’s appeal, and said it was “shocking” that one had not already been issued.

However, Maguire told the BBC: “I don’t feel like I owe an apology to anybody. An apology is something when you’ve done something wrong or regret.”

He did say he regretted putting Man Utd and their fans through this episode, although all the indications are that he has the club’s support and will remain as captain.

 

The post Greek lawyer in Maguire case ‘scared’ after receiving angry hate mail appeared first on Football365.

Source : Football 365 More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Chelsea make improved offer for Rennes goalkeeper Mendy

Chelsea have made an … The post Chelsea make improved offer for Rennes goalkeeper Mendy appeared first on Football365.

Chelsea make improved offer for Rennes goalkeeper Mendy

Chelsea have returned with a second offer for Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, according to sources.

The Blues are currently looking to replace out of favour Kepa Arrizabalaga, who had a poor season under Frank Lampard last campaign.

The Spaniard has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge as the club looks set to replace him.


FEATURE: Most expensive XI signed by promoted Premier League clubs


According to Goal, the London club has made an £18 million bid for Mendy.

They’ve improved upon the £15 million bid they made earlier this week, which was rejected.

Rennes are yet to respond to the second bid. However, they’re desperate to keep Mendy as he’s their first choice keeper.

The Senegalese international helped Rennes to their first ever Champions League finish last campaign, when they finished third under manager Julien Stephan.

Mendy made 9 clean sheets in 24 appearances for the club and started in their first Ligue 1 game of the new season.

Mendy could be a solid replacement for Arrizabalaga if Chelsea manage to sign him.

He would also be a lot cheaper than the club’s other goalkeeping options. They’ve been linked with Atletico Madrid keeper Jan Oblak, who would cost around £90 million.

More recently, they’ve been linked with Italian youngster Gianluigi Donnarumma. The 21-year-old is one of the best young prospects in the world and could join the Blues on loan this season.

He would then need to impress Lampard to earn a permanent move to Stamford Bridge.

As part of the deal, Arrizabalaga would move on loan to AC Milan for the season to see if he can find his previous form.

At the moment it looks like Chelsea are looking at cheaper alternatives to Donnarumma following their spending spree over the past few months.

Having signed Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell, they’ve spent well over £130 million. They’re also in talks to sign Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen and Declan Rice from West Ham.

The post Chelsea make improved offer for Rennes goalkeeper Mendy appeared first on Football365.

Source : Football 365 More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.