Handcuffed fugitive's crude gesture after arrest

Police have charged Ricardo Barbaro, the man wanted over the murder of Melbourne mother Ellie Price.

Handcuffed fugitive's crude gesture after arrest

Police have released arrest footage of fugitive Ricardo Barbaro, the man wanted over the murder of Melbourne mother Ellie Price.

The 33-year-old was arrested in the early hours of this morning, found hiding in the penthouse of an apartment block in Sydney's west.

Detectives raided the apartment block at Amalfi Drive in Wentworth Point just before 11pm yesterday.

He gestured rudely to the camera, sticking up his middle finger.

Heavily armed officers bashed down the door of one apartment but found it empty.

Mr Barbaro was arrested in the penthouse a short time later after a scuffle and taken into police custody just after midnight.

He was taken to Concord Hospital for treatment for minor injuries and has now been charged with apprehension on a warrant issued in another state.

Mr Barbaro was refused bail at Parramatta Local Court and police confirmed they are not investigating anyone else in relation to the murder.

"Whilst the pandemic continues, that policing also goes on in a whole range of areas right across this state. It is a good outcome for that investigation," NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Warboys said today.

Ricardo Barbaro and Melbourne mum Ellie Price.

Victorian detectives are currently en route to Sydney to collect Mr Barbaro under an extradition order.

Ms Price's body was discovered in her South Melbourne apartment on May 4.

Police said they believed the 26-year-old suffered "a significant assault" about a week before her body was discovered.

"She may have been in those premises for a number of days, perhaps up to five days," Victoria Police Detective Inspector Tim Day said this week.

He confirmed Barbaro and Ms Price had been in an on-off relationship since about October 2019 and asked anyone who may have been in the area of Park and Ferrars Streets around the time of her death to contact police if they have information.

Ms Price's Mercedes was found in nearby Diggers Rest last week and police urged anyone who may be harbouring Barbaro to come forward.

"My warning is to those people that they do not want to put themselves in jeopardy of an accessory charge by harbouring him or assisting him during this time," Det. Insp. Day said earlier.

Mr Barbaro is the brother of Sydney underworld boss Pasquale Timothy Barbaro, 35, who was gunned down in 2016.

His grandfather Peter Pasquale Barbaro was also gunned down in Brisbane in 1990 while his cousin Pasquale Barbaro was killed alongside underworld figure Jason Moran while watching a children's football training session in 2003.

Barbaro's uncle - another Pasquale Barbaro, from Griffith in NSW - was the kingpin in the world's biggest ecstasy bust in 2007. He was sentenced in Melbourne to 30 years in jail in 2012.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Australia diagnoses 14 new cases of COVID-19 in 24 hours: Key takeaways from the official statistics

Almost 100 Australians have lost their lives as a result of coronavirus.

Australia diagnoses 14 new cases of COVID-19 in 24 hours: Key takeaways from the official statistics

Australia has diagnosed 14 new cases of COVID-19 overnight, taking the nation's total confirmed cases to 6,989.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth today held a press conference updating the official statistics, touching on the COVIDSafe App, the use of face masks and why anybody with a runny nose should get tested.

Here's the key takeaways we learnt from Dr Coatsworth's press conference today, May 14:

READ MORE:

AUSTRALIA EDGES CLOSER TO 7,000 TOTAL CASES

  • Overnight there are 14 new cases of COVID-19, taking the national number of diagnosed cases to 6,989.
  • Of those, 98 Australians have lost their lives.
  • There are presently 51 Australians currently in hospital with the disease, 13 of whom are on ventilators in intensive care units.
  • The overwhelming majority of confirmed cases have now recovered fully.

TESTING URGED FOR ANYBODY WITH A SNIFFLE

  • Deputy CMO Dr Nick Coatsworth has urged Australians with any inkling of a respiratory disease – be it a cough, a sore throat, a fever or a runny nose – to get tested for COVID-19.
  • "Even the mildest of symptoms that you may recognise as a cold, we want you to contact a general practitioner and get a test," said Dr Coastworth.
  • "If you do not have a cold and are able to go to work and get out and about, make sure you maintain a 1.5 metre distance, make sure you continue to wash your hands at every possible opportunity."
COVID-19 screening area is posted outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital on March.

FACE MASKS NOT NEEDED FOR HEALTHY PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY

  • Deputy CMO Dr Nick Coatsworth has said that the evidence for using face masks in the general community to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 "is not very strong".
  • Dr Coastworth said there is some value in positive coronavirus cases wearing masks as a way of reducing the chance of transmitting the disease via a cough or a sneeze.
  • "Some nations around the world have a strong tradition of facial mask use even in the absence of COVID-19 but, for Australia at the moment, we have not changed the advice, AHPPC does not recommend the use of masks in the community," said Dr Coatsworth.
Woman wearing face mask

ALMOST 6 MILLION AUSTRALIANS HAVE DOWNLOADED COVID APP

  • More than 5.7 million Australians have downloaded the COVIDSafe App, which has been touted as "the ticket" to easing restrictions.
  • Deputy CMO Dr Coatsworth said the government knows there are approximately 15 million smartphone owners in Australia, representing almost two thirds of users who have not downloaded the app.
  • "It is a timely call for all Australians to know that the only way the disease detectives can really use the COVIDSafe app is if it is on the phone of the person diagnosed with COVID-19," said Dr Coatsworth.
  • "If not, it cannot be used. It is a wake-up call and really a call for all Australians to consider downloading that app."

KAWASAKI-LIKE DISEASE IN CHILDREN 'VERY RARE'

  • More than 5.7 million Australians have downloaded the COVIDSafe App, which has been touted as "the ticket" to easing restrictions.
  • Deputy CMO Dr Coatsworth said the government knows there are approximately 15 million smartphone owners in Australia, representing almost two thirds of users who have not downloaded the app.
  • "It is a timely call for all Australians to know that the only way the disease detectives can really use the COVIDSafe app is if it is on the phone of the person diagnosed with COVID-19," said Dr Coatsworth.
  • "If not, it cannot be used. It is a wake-up call and really a call for all Australians to consider downloading that app."

For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the and set notifications to on at the or

You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the , and the .

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.