How to Become a Fashion Designer And Achieve Dolce&Gabbana Fame
A fashion designer is one of the most prestigious and sought-after creative professions. The fashion industry is characterized by high competition and the pace of development. But at the same time, it provides an opportunity to realize the creative potential, gain global recognition, and a high income. The experts of cheappaperwriting.com have prepared a guide […] More
A fashion designer is one of the most prestigious and sought-after creative professions. The fashion industry is characterized by high competition and the pace of development. But at the same time, it provides an opportunity to realize the creative potential, gain global recognition, and a high income. The experts of have prepared a guide on what steps you should take to become a fashion designer.
Step 1. Decide on a direction
You can make a name for yourself in many different areas. They are the creation of women’s, men’s, children’s, sportswear, underwear, costumes for theater, sports, and film. You can become a print or textile designer, stylist, creative technologist, fashion illustrator.
- Attend professional events.
- Don’t miss fashion shows, seminars, and workshops.
- Stay on topic and keep up with everything that is happening in the industry.
Step 2. Get to know the profession from the inside
The fashion design profession is often chosen based on a superficial understanding of the fashion world. To get a sense of what’s behind the gloss of the fashion shows, try to find an internship and see what a designer’s day-to-day work consists of. Make sure you’re comfortable with technical sketches, design, creating patterns and layouts, sewing, and many hours of trying on.
Step 3. Get an education
If the internship has convinced you of the correctness of your choice – start looking for a university. Professional education in this field is just as necessary as in any other.
You need to know:
- the history of fashion and costume;
- peculiarities of work with different kinds of fabrics, leather, fur;
- stages of clothes creation – from illustration to the catwalk;
- methods of market analysis and trend forecasting.
Must be able to:
- draw by hand and in computer programs;
- cut and sew;
- understand the needs of the target audience;
- anticipate and take into account fashion trends;
- offer non-standard solutions.
Some of the best quality programs in fashion are offered by Italian universities. They provide deep immersion in the profession and allow students to cooperate with well-known studios and fashion houses during their studies.
The advantage of Italian education is its focus on practice. For example, while studying fashion design, students and graduates present their collections at fashion weeks. As a result, their work has been published in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire, Vanity Fair, and GQ magazines.
Tip: essay writer today advises finding your style. Look for inspiration and ideas in various places: travel, visit exhibitions, study culture and traditions, meet new people.
By the end of your studies, you graduate with a creative portfolio or diploma. In addition, you have a whole collection on hand, which students showcase at fashion shows inside and outside the university.
For example, talented students from Istituto Marangoni designed a clothing collection inspired by the Disney film “Alice in Wonderland.” The finished work participated in the fashion show. The result was appreciated not only by the media but also by the Disney Company.
Seven reasons to study design abroad
- The opportunity to learn from practicing teachers and fashion maestros. For example, Guy Trussardi, director of the Trussardi fashion house; Sara Maino, editor of Vogue Italia; and Ennio Capaz, creator of the Costume National brand. All teach at Domus.
- Inter-university mobility. For example, Mod’Art students can continue their education at partner universities in the U.S. (Berkley College New York), UK (London College of Fashion and London Metropolitan University), and other countries.
- Study in an international team.
- Workshops in production and studios. Students join together in creative collaborations and create their collections.
- Internships at fashion houses and global companies. Among them are Valentino Fashion Group, Giorgio Armani, Trussardi, Versace, Missoni, and Swatch.
- Participation in fashion shows and international competitions. For instance, Milano Fashion Week, Business Links, Paris London Week.
- Modern campus facilities. Students access 2D and 3D scanners for measuring, studios, and media libraries with up-to-date materials.
Where to study Fashion Design
Istituto Marangoni (Milan, Paris, London, Florence)
The leading creative university in Europe is among the top 5 best fashion universities globally (Fashionista, 2016). Domenico Dolce is one of the most famous graduates. The institute offers a one-year intensive, three-year program (equivalent to a bachelor’s degree), a semester postgraduate program, one-year master’s courses (Women’s Fashion Design, Men’s Fashion Design, and others), and short summer programs.
Domus Academy (Milan)
One of the most famous universities of design, fashion, and architecture is one of the top 8 universities in the world in interior design (Azure Magazine, 2016). The university regularly holds seminars with Roberto Cavalli, Marni, Moncler, Costume National, Ferragamo, Helena Rubinstein (L’Oreal), Red Valentino, etc.
NABA, Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milano (Milan)
The world-renowned academy of art and design is one of the top 50 design schools (Domus Magazine, 2014). It offers undergraduate and graduate programs as well as summer courses. The Italian Ministry of Education accredits all programs. In addition, the university cooperates with well-known companies. This approach provides students with the opportunity to work on real projects.
No matter what university you go to, you may need help from online services. Professional writers will help you with any writing assignment. Including writing business personal statement examples and tips.
Where do design and fashion graduates work?
A diploma from a foreign university gives a considerable advantage in employment. Graduates of European and American design and fashion schools are in demand in domestic and foreign fashion houses. Young fashion designers, who graduated from a university abroad, were trained according to new programs. As a result, they are aware of current and future fashion trends. Also, have up-to-date information from teachers-practitioners. Thus, having such a specialist in the team increases the company’s creative and commercial success.