In Wake Of Corona, Queens Shooting, Mayoral Candidates Adams, Sliwa Offer Plans To Combat NYC Gun Violence

Saturday night's shooting in Queens, which wounded 10 people, has prompted New York City's mayoral candidates to weigh in on how to end the gun violence plaguing parts of the city.

In Wake Of Corona, Queens Shooting, Mayoral Candidates Adams, Sliwa Offer Plans To Combat NYC Gun Violence

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Saturday night’s shooting in Queens, which wounded 10 people, has prompted New York City’s mayoral candidates to weigh in on how to end the gun violence plaguing parts of the five boroughs.

CBS2’s Hazel Sanchez has more on their plans.

READ MORE: NYPD: 2 Gunmen Wanted After 10 Shot In Front Of Queens Business; ‘A Brazen, Coordinated Attack’

The NYPD says so far this year, shootings are up by more than 100 compared to same time in 2020.

The two men hoping to be the next mayor, Democrat Eric Adams and Republican Curtis Sliwa, are campaigning on a platform to change this disturbing trend.

The statistics paint a clear picture of the spike in gun violence. There have been at least 898 shooting incidents so far this year, while there were 771 during the same time period last year — a 16% increase.

READ MORE: In Wake Of Killing Of 10-Year-Old, Wounding Of 12-Year-Old, Mayor De Blasio Blames Feds, State For NYC’s Gun Violence

In June, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a collaboration between the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the NYPD to combat gun violence. On Sunday, the two men vying to take his job in November visited the mass shooting scene in Corona, Queens and said more needs to be done.

“What I, as mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, would do immediately is something that our mayor is afraid to do, which is hire more police,” Sliwa said.

“We need a joint gangs and guns task force, with federal, state and city coordination to make sure that we can do information sharing, go after the guns that are on the streets, stop the flow of guns, and take down these crews,” Adams said.

Last month, Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a first-of-its-kind state disaster emergency on gun violence, creating a new Office of Gun Violence Prevention that lets local police departments share information to target gun violence hot spots. Also, $138.7 million will go to prevention programs and jobs for at-risk youth.

Adams is pushing for the reinstatement of the NYPD’s plainclothes Anti-Gun Unit and a crisis management team to target gangs, the biggest contributor to gun violence.

“We need a full, comprehensive approach of every level of law enforcement and the support services so we can go after this entire problem, how we feed gun violence,” Adams said.

READ MORE: Eric Adams Calls Out Mayor De Blasio Over Continued Gun Violence, Says He Must Go To Bronx To Reassure Residents

Sliwa is pushing for more police funding and manpower as gang-related violence grows.

“There has to be stop and frisk. If you’re not stopping and frisking these young men who are at war with one another, you’re guaranteeing them more of them are going to come out with loaded handguns, with 9 millimeters, and start popping shots,” Sliwa said.

Sliwa is also calling for a witness protection program to encourage people to come forward about crime, without fear. Adams said he’d like to see the creation of a special prosecutor to handle gun-related crime, so perpetrators are brought to justice more efficiently.

Source : CBS News York More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Clock Runs Out On Mets In Attempt To Sign Top Pick Kumar Rocker

The New York Mets failed to sign their top pick from last month's amateur draft, Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker, by Sunday's 5 p.m. EDT deadline, over concern about his medical scans.

Clock Runs Out On Mets In Attempt To Sign Top Pick Kumar Rocker

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The New York Mets failed to sign their top pick from last month’s amateur draft, Vanderbilt pitcher Kumar Rocker, by Sunday’s 5 p.m. EDT deadline, over concern about his medical scans.

New York selected Rocker with the 10th overall pick and will receive an extra selection in next year’s amateur draft, the pick after the 10th choice, because of their failure to sign the 21-year-old right-hander.

The Mets lost the $4,739,900 slot value available for draft signings that was assigned to Rocker’s pick.

“This is clearly not the outcome we had hoped for and wish Kumar nothing but success moving forward,” Mets acting general manager Zack Scott said in a statement.

READ MORE: Fill-In Max Schrock Gets 5 Hits, Reds Hammer Mets

Rocker was a junior and is eligible to return to Vanderbilt for his senior season.

“Kumar Rocker is healthy according to independent medical review by multiple prominent baseball orthopedic surgeons,” his representative, Scott Boras, said in a statement. “Immediately upon conclusion of his collegiate season, he had an MRI on both his shoulder and his elbow. When compared with his 2018 MRIs, the medical experts found no significant change. Kumar requires no medical attention and will continue to pitch in the regular course as he prepares to begin his professional career.”

Rocker was the only player among the first 29 first-round picks who failed to sign.

Two players finalized agreements on the final day.

Arizona signed Jordan Lawair, a shortstop from Jesuit College Prep in Texas, for $6,713,300, and Miami signed Marlins, Kahlil Watson, a shortstop from Wake Forest High School in North Carolina, for $4,540,790.

This year’s amateur draft was cut from 40 rounds to 20 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Last year’s draft was reduced to five rounds.

READ MORE: Rizzo Shines Again, Yankees Complete Sweep Of Marlins

The Mets spent $3,407,900 of the $4,286,400 remaining in their signing bonus pool, reaching agreements with their other nine picks in the first round. Failing to sign Rocker left $878,500 unspent.

Texas signed Oregon right-hander Aaron Zavala, the 38th overall pick, for $830,000.

The second-highest pick who failed to sign was Florida outfielder Fabian Jud, also a junior, who was selected by Boston 40th overall.

Pittsburgh signed right-hander Owen Kellington, a high school pitcher for Vermont, for $600,000 after taking him 102nd.

(© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Source : CBS News York More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.