Jermell Charlo: “I Don’t Want To Become Undisputed By A Narrow Controversial Decision”

By: Sean Crose "Brian Castano is one hell of a better fighter than anyone gave him credit for and he came to fight for his life Saturday," Jermell Charlo has posted on Instagram, referring to his battle for the undisputed junior middleweight championship of the world last Saturday night. The fight between Charlo and Castano was just a terrific affair that was ultimately ruled a draw. Unfortunately, one of the three judges at ringside ruled so widely for Charlo that it put a damper on the entire affair, a sad addition to a great night of boxing, to be sure. "If fights are scored as a whole," Charlo continued, "I landed the harder and better shots, but boxing isn't scored that way.  Boxing is scored round by round.  I've always said to take a belt from a champion you need to take that belt and the judges felt neither of us did enough to take those other belts and they ruled a draw." Charlo then went on to once again show the attitude that watchers of the contemporary boxing scene have grown to admire about him. "I don't want to become undisputed by a narrow controversial decision," he said.  "I want to make a statement.  I didn't do my part to get the KO and as always I will continue to learn and improve." As for Castano, Charlo makes it clear in the post that there will indeed be a rematch. "When we run it back, just like I adjusted in Harrison II," he adds, "there will be no doubt about the result." For those who don't know, Charlo had previously lost to the awkward and focused Tony Harrison on the cards before coming back and defeating his man via thunderous knockout in their rematch. The Charlo in each of the two Harrison fights seemed like a different person. Castano appears as if he'd love nothing more than a rematch. And, to be sure, there's a sense of unsettled business about the whole affair now. Plus, it's something the fans would like to see and it would (most likely) reveal the truth king of the junior middleweight division. Although it's hard to tell if a second Charlo-Castano match will come right away, it's difficult seeing either fighter being pleased with things as they now stand. That sort of thing simply doesn't appear to be in either man's nature. Which, frankly, is a pleasure to see in a world of safety-first boxing. The post Jermell Charlo: “I Don’t Want To Become Undisputed By A Narrow Controversial Decision” appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Jermell Charlo: “I Don’t Want To Become Undisputed By A Narrow Controversial Decision”

By: Sean Crose

"Brian Castano is one hell of a better fighter than anyone gave him credit for and he came to fight for his life Saturday," Jermell Charlo has posted on Instagram, referring to his battle for the undisputed junior middleweight championship of the world last Saturday night. The fight between Charlo and Castano was just a terrific affair that was ultimately ruled a draw. Unfortunately, one of the three judges at ringside ruled so widely for Charlo that it put a damper on the entire affair, a sad addition to a great night of boxing, to be sure.

"If fights are scored as a whole," Charlo continued, "I landed the harder and better shots, but boxing isn't scored that way.  Boxing is scored round by round.  I've always said to take a belt from a champion you need to take that belt and the judges felt neither of us did enough to take those other belts and they ruled a draw." Charlo then went on to once again show the attitude that watchers of the contemporary boxing scene have grown to admire about him. "I don't want to become undisputed by a narrow controversial decision," he said.  "I want to make a statement.  I didn't do my part to get the KO and as always I will continue to learn and improve."

As for Castano, Charlo makes it clear in the post that there will indeed be a rematch. "When we run it back, just like I adjusted in Harrison II," he adds, "there will be no doubt about the result." For those who don't know, Charlo had previously lost to the awkward and focused Tony Harrison on the cards before coming back and defeating his man via thunderous knockout in their rematch. The Charlo in each of the two Harrison fights seemed like a different person.

Castano appears as if he'd love nothing more than a rematch. And, to be sure, there's a sense of unsettled business about the whole affair now. Plus, it's something the fans would like to see and it would (most likely) reveal the truth king of the junior middleweight division. Although it's hard to tell if a second Charlo-Castano match will come right away, it's difficult seeing either fighter being pleased with things as they now stand. That sort of thing simply doesn't appear to be in either man's nature. Which, frankly, is a pleasure to see in a world of safety-first boxing.

The post Jermell Charlo: “I Don’t Want To Become Undisputed By A Narrow Controversial Decision” appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Source : Boxing Insider More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Mike Tyson Believes Caleb Plant Has Absolutely No Chance Against Canelo Alvarez: “He’s Going To Get F*cked Up”

By: Hans Themistode Canelo Alvarez and Caleb Plant continue to inch closer and closer to their undisputed showdown. The pair are currently locked in negations on a proposed September 18th, showdown that would take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. With Alvarez holding the WBC, WBA, WBO and Ring Magazine super middleweight world titles, and Plant in possession of the IBF strap, the winner of their contest would produce the division's first ever undisputed world champion. In the mind of many, Alvarez has the clear advantage heading into their possible matchup. With the Mexican star gracing the top of virtually every pound for pound list, most believe it’s inevitable that Alvarez relieves Plant of his world title. Amongst those who are backing Alvarez, is 2011 Hall of Famer, Mike Tyson. Not only does the former undisputed heavyweight champion believe that Alvarez will dispose of Plant, but he’s also fully convinced that he’ll do so quite easily. “Caleb Plant ain’t lasting the distance,” said Tyson on his podcast, Hotboxin with Mike Tyson. “I saw this guy fight (Plant), he’s going to get slaughtered. He's going to get clocked. He’s going to get so f*cked up. This guy is going to f*cking kill him.” Alvarez, 31, has run through his competition as of late. Earlier this year, the Mexican product scored two devastating knockouts. The first came against fringe contender Avni Yildirim in late February. Alvarez wasted no time in getting rid of his man, doing so in the third round. He then followed that up with another comprehensive win. This time, at the expense of Billy Joe Saunders. The British star fought Alvarez on fairly even terms in early May at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. However, his night came to an abrupt end due to a right uppercut by Alvarez that shattered his right orbital bone and simultaneously crushed his eye socket. With the win, Alvarez picked up his third world title at 168 pounds and immediately began targeting Plant. As for the IBF belt holder, he’s also taken care of business against whoever has stepped foot inside the ring with him, albeit they’ve been against much lesser names. After winning his world title against Jose Uzcategui in January of 2019, the Nashville, Tennessee native has defeated fringe contenders Mike Lee and Vincent Feigenbutz. Recently, he outpointed former titlist, although long faded, Caleb Truax. Those who back Plant to pick up the win against Alvarez point to his movement and boxing ability. The 29-year-old has prided himself on hitting his opponents and receiving little to no punishment in return. But while Tyson notices that Plant does have good abilities in the ring, he believes that once Alvarez attacks his midsection, it’ll be all she wrote. “Wait until Alvarez hit that mother f*cking body. He's gonna f*cking kill him.” The post Mike Tyson Believes Caleb Plant Has Absolutely No Chance Against Canelo Alvarez: “He’s Going To Get F*cked Up” appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Mike Tyson Believes Caleb Plant Has Absolutely No Chance Against Canelo Alvarez: “He’s Going To Get F*cked Up”

By: Hans Themistode

Canelo Alvarez and Caleb Plant continue to inch closer and closer to their undisputed showdown.

The pair are currently locked in negations on a proposed September 18th, showdown that would take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. With Alvarez holding the WBC, WBA, WBO and Ring Magazine super middleweight world titles, and Plant in possession of the IBF strap, the winner of their contest would produce the division's first ever undisputed world champion.

In the mind of many, Alvarez has the clear advantage heading into their possible matchup. With the Mexican star gracing the top of virtually every pound for pound list, most believe it’s inevitable that Alvarez relieves Plant of his world title. Amongst those who are backing Alvarez, is 2011 Hall of Famer, Mike Tyson.

Not only does the former undisputed heavyweight champion believe that Alvarez will dispose of Plant, but he’s also fully convinced that he’ll do so quite easily.

“Caleb Plant ain’t lasting the distance,” said Tyson on his podcast, Hotboxin with Mike Tyson. “I saw this guy fight (Plant), he’s going to get slaughtered. He's going to get clocked. He’s going to get so f*cked up. This guy is going to f*cking kill him.”

Alvarez, 31, has run through his competition as of late. Earlier this year, the Mexican product scored two devastating knockouts. The first came against fringe contender Avni Yildirim in late February. Alvarez wasted no time in getting rid of his man, doing so in the third round. He then followed that up with another comprehensive win. This time, at the expense of Billy Joe Saunders.

The British star fought Alvarez on fairly even terms in early May at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. However, his night came to an abrupt end due to a right uppercut by Alvarez that shattered his right orbital bone and simultaneously crushed his eye socket. With the win, Alvarez picked up his third world title at 168 pounds and immediately began targeting Plant.

As for the IBF belt holder, he’s also taken care of business against whoever has stepped foot inside the ring with him, albeit they’ve been against much lesser names. After winning his world title against Jose Uzcategui in January of 2019, the Nashville, Tennessee native has defeated fringe contenders Mike Lee and Vincent Feigenbutz. Recently, he outpointed former titlist, although long faded, Caleb Truax.

Those who back Plant to pick up the win against Alvarez point to his movement and boxing ability. The 29-year-old has prided himself on hitting his opponents and receiving little to no punishment in return. But while Tyson notices that Plant does have good abilities in the ring, he believes that once Alvarez attacks his midsection, it’ll be all she wrote.

“Wait until Alvarez hit that mother f*cking body. He's gonna f*cking kill him.”

The post Mike Tyson Believes Caleb Plant Has Absolutely No Chance Against Canelo Alvarez: “He’s Going To Get F*cked Up” appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Source : Boxing Insider More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.