Jimmie Johnson and Ganassi plan for IndyCar onslaught!

Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson is teaming up with Chip Ganassi Racing to consider an onslaught on the... The post Jimmie Johnson and Ganassi plan for IndyCar onslaught! appeared first on F1i.com.

Jimmie Johnson and Ganassi plan for IndyCar onslaught!

Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson is teaming up with Chip Ganassi Racing to consider an onslaught on the NTT IndyCar Series in 2021 and 2022.

Johnson, who tested a Ganassi car on Indy's road course in July, is set to "officially explore the possibility of racing a full road and street course calendar in the NTT IndyCar Series for the 2021 and 2022 racing seasons," according to a statement released on Wednesday.

"It is always difficult to find great drivers but for them to be great guys too makes it even that much more challenging," said team owner Chip Ganassi.

"To pair Jimmie with the likes of Scott Dixon is quite an opportunity. They are truly in rarified air and I think everyone knows by now that ‘I like winners’.

"The goal right now is for us to run Jimmie in an Indy car for at least the next couple of seasons, and we want to show people we’re serious about the program.

"We felt it was important to get the partnership done and start putting the financial building blocks in place to make this a reality.

"Jimmie’s record speaks for itself and we feel a championship-level driver of his caliber can only make our team better."

©IndyCar

Johnson, 45, started his prosperous career in NASCAR in 2002, collection 83 wins and seven championship NASCAR Cup Series titles, a record that equals the tally of the great Richard Petty and the late Dale Earnhardt.

"When I tested Chip’s Indy car earlier in the year, it only lit the fire more," Johnson said.

"I found that I wanted to do it more than ever before. Scott (Dixon) was just incredible to work with and in a short time I found out very quickly why Chip and his teams have won 12 INDYCAR Championships.

"As part of a natural progression, I wanted to publicly show the alignment with Chip Ganassi Racing to kick the sponsorship program into high gear.

"The goal is to run the full road and street program and today is a very important first step in accomplishing that goal."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via  and 

The post Jimmie Johnson and Ganassi plan for IndyCar onslaught! appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Perez announces departure from Racing Point F1!

Sergio Perez will leave Racing Point F1 at the end of the current season, a move that will... The post Perez announces departure from Racing Point F1! appeared first on F1i.com.

Perez announces departure from Racing Point F1!

Sergio Perez will leave Racing Point F1 at the end of the current season, a move that will likely pave the way for Sebastian Vettel's arrival at the Silverstone-based outfit.

Perez released the following statement on social media on Wednesday evening.

Hi all:

Everything in life always has a beginning and an end, and after seven years together, my time with the team will come to an end after this season
It hurts a bit as I bet on the team during very rough times; we managed to overcome obstacles and I am very proud of saving the jobs of several of my teammates.I'll keep the memories of the great moments lived together, the friendships and the satisfaction of always giving my all.

I will always be grateful for the opportunity given to me by Vijay Mallya, who believed in me in 2014 and allowed me to continue my Fl career with Force India.To the current administration, led by Lawrence Stroll, I wish nothing but the best in the future, specially with the upcoming Aston Martin project.

I don't have a plan B. My intention is to continue racing here, but that would depend on finding a project that motivates me to continue giving my 100 percent in each lap.

I want to thank each one of you who have been with me throughout these 10 years. To my family, who has always been there to support me despite anything.

To all the sponsors who believed in my project, to my staff, and mainly God, who blessed me with the opportunity to live this incredible adventure called Fl

I hope I can give you some good news real soon, but for now, let's enjoy together the next races.

I carry you in my heart!

Otmar Szafnauer, CEO & Team Principal BWT Racing Point F1 Team added:

"Checo has been part of the Silverstone family for seven years and in that time has become one of the most complete drivers on the grid.

"Blisteringly quick on Saturday and Sunday, he’s established his reputation as a tenacious racer and together we have enjoyed some fantastic moments. If there was ever a sniff of a podium, Checo was ready to pounce, and those five podiums represent some of the finest days in the history of this team.

"Outside of the car, Checo is a true character and a good friend, and it’s been a pleasure working with him for such a long time. Although we will say goodbye at the end of the year, there are still nine races to go and plenty of opportunities for Checo to make some more special memories with this team."

Looking towards 2021, Alfa Romeo Racing and Haas are the only two viable opportunities for Perez as both teams have yet to confirm their line-ups for 2021. As  a reminder, the Mexican started his career in F1 with the Hinwil squad in 2011 under its Sauber guise.

©Ferrari

Speculation surrounding an association between Racing Point - or Aston Martin Racing as the team will be known from next season - and Vettel has been ongoing since the start of the summer.

The four-time world champion's move to the pink squad, which may not remain pink next season, would be a major coup for team owner Lawrence Stroll.

Vettel's presence in the team alongside Lance Stroll would not only boost Aston Martin Racing's profile, it would also give a new impetus to the 33-year-old who has repeatedly said that he will only continue in F1 if he has the right package.

As for Perez, Alfa Romeo Racing and Haas are the only two viable opportunities for the 30-year-old Mexican as both teams have yet to confirm their line-ups for 2021.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via  and 

The post Perez announces departure from Racing Point F1! appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.