Jordan Spieth, Harold Varner III among those whose season ended at Northern Trust
NORTON, Mass. – The numbers don't play favorites, and after missing the cut at the Northern Trust, several well-known golfers who started (...)
NORTON, Mass. – The numbers don’t play favorites, and after missing the cut at the Northern Trust, several well-known golfers who started the week ranked higher than No. 70 on the FedEx Cup points list have now been eliminated from the playoffs. Only players ranked 70 or better are eligible to play in next week’s BMW Championship.
While it is not official yet, Phil Mickelson will almost assuredly finish worse than 70th on the FedEx Cup points list. Mickelson started the week at No. 67 and missed the cut. As of Friday night, he is projected to move to 76th, and the Hall of Famer has already said that he plans to play the PGA Tour Champions event that starts on Monday.
Among those golfers who will not be moving on are:
- Jordan Spieth – The winner of the 2015 FedEx Cup, Spieth entered the Northern Trust ranked No. 100 on the point list, but his 71-69 performance left him one shot over the cutline.
- Harold Varner III – Started the week at No. 73 and missed the cut after shooting 71-69
- Shane Lowry – Despite playing in eight tournaments after the PGA Tour restarted in June, the 2019 British Open champion entered the week at No. 122 on the FedEx Cup points list. He missed the cut at TPC Boston by two shots.
- Lucas Glover – The 2009 U.S. Open champion entered the week at No. 115 on the FedEx Cup point list and shot 70-75.
- Brandt Snedeker – The 2012 FedEx Cup winner struggled after the PGA Tour restart and started the week at No. 98. He shot 73 and 72 at the Northern Trust to miss the cut.
- Graeme McDowell – This was the eighth event for the 2010 U.S. Open champion, who started the week at No. 113 on the point list. Since the tour restarted and after shooting 77-72, he missed the cut for the sixth time.
BMW Championship, Olympia Fields CC, Olympia Fields, Illinois, Aug. 27-30
Tour Championship, East Lake GC, Atlanta, Sept. 4-7