Lennon slams wantaway Celtic stars after dismal CL exit

Celtic were dumped out … The post Lennon slams wantaway Celtic stars after dismal CL exit appeared first on Football365.

Lennon slams wantaway Celtic stars after dismal CL exit

Neil Lennon was left dejected after Celtic were bounced out of the Champions League with a 2-1 defeat against Ferencvaros.

Midfielder David Siger shot the Hungarian side into the lead in the seventh minute of the second qualifier but Ryan Christie, deputising for the injured Odsonne Edouard as the Hoops started without a recognised striker, levelled in the 53rd minute with a deflected shot.

Celtic dominated possession before and after the break but in the 74th minute, against the run of play, Tokmac Nguen snatched a breakaway goal to see the Scottish champions drop down to the Europa League qualifiers.

It is the first time in 15 years that the Scottish champions went out of the Champions League so early, and Lennon said: “I am angry, frustrated, disappointed. All those and more.

“We had enough chances to win the game comfortably. There is no excuses. It is on me and I have to accept the consequences of that.

“We have to apologise to the supporters and look to make the best of what we have got for the rest of the season.

“The game was easier than I thought it was going to be. We had really good control.

“They scored early but I thought we started well in the second half and scored, hit the bar and we only have ourselves to blame.

“I have to take responsibility. It is the first time in 15 years we have gone out so early, that is down to me.”

 

 

Lennon, who stated that strikers Albian Ajeti and Patryk Klimala who started on the bench were “not match fit”, also claimed there are players who have told him they do not want to be at Parkhead.

He said: “There are some players who may want to leave.

“They have made inroads into that in the last six months or so. So if they don’t want to be here, we have to do something about it.

“If they are making waves to leave the club they are obviously not committed.

“We want players committed to the club. I’m not going to go into it but I’m putting it out there because it has been bugging me for a long, long time.”

By contrast, Ferencvaros boss Sergei Rebrov was delighted with the victory.

He said: “We played against the strongest team we have played in Europe.

“Maybe they didn’t shoot enough. I’m very glad for my players. We tried to play to our plan. The early goal helped us.

“I was really surprised they didn’t play with a recognised striker because they had two strikers on the bench.

“Their plan was to find fast players between the lines. Most of the time we were defending but we didn’t give Celtic too many chances.

“They had some problems in defence. We tried to go for counter-attacks. Tokmac is very fast and he used it for the winning goal.”

 

The post Lennon slams wantaway Celtic stars after dismal CL exit appeared first on Football365.

Source : Football 365 More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Maguire’s legal team launch appeal against guilty verdict

The filing of an … The post Maguire’s legal team launch appeal against guilty verdict appeared first on Football365.

Maguire’s legal team launch appeal against guilty verdict

Harry Maguire’s legal team have lodged an appeal against the Manchester United captain’s conviction for assaulting a police offer and attempted bribery.

United have said the appeal nullifies Tuesday’s ruling in a Greek court and means Maguire has no criminal record ahead of a full retrial.

The England defender had been convicted at a court on the Greek island of Syros for those offences and handed a 21-month suspended prison sentence.

It is understood no date has yet been fixed for the appeal and, while United would like the matter dealt with as soon as possible, they recognise it could be a number of months before the appeal is heard.

A club spokesman said: “An appeal against yesterday’s verdict was lodged this morning by Harry’s legal team. In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing of an appeal extinguishes the initial court verdict and nullifies the conviction.

“The appeal has been accepted and will lead to a full retrial in a more senior court. This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions.”

United’s public support for the player is understood to be an indicator that he will remain as club captain.

His brother Laurence had earlier said there was “no chance” of an apology being issued, after a lawyer representing two Greek police officers said that doing so might lead to a withdrawal of some of the complaints.

Laurence Maguire, who plays for Chesterfield, tweeted: “Absolute no chance Harry will be apologising. Daisy (Maguire’s sister) and no one in the group was interviewed by the police.”

The latter part of the tweet referenced a comment made by prosecution lawyer Yoannis Paradissis, who said it was “strange” that part of Maguire’s defence had been that his sister Daisy had been injected with an unknown substance prior to the incident which led to his arrest in Mykonos last week, when she had made no mention of it when interviewed by police.

Paradissis told BBC Radio Four’s Today Programme on Wednesday: “(The police officers) told me they are still waiting for an apology and they haven’t had any. This is what I find quite shocking and quite unsporting.

“Fair play means when I’ve done something wrong I apologise or at least I say I am sorry for what happened to the other person.”

England manager Gareth Southgate withdrew Maguire from the squad for the Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark next month after the verdict was announced, having initially selected him.

Asked about Maguire’s claim in a statement on Tuesday that he was the victim, Paradissis said: “We don’t have the same definition of what a victim is then, because how can you be a victim and the policemen have been assaulted, hit, that were just doing their jobs?

“They went home on the day with injuries. How can they not be a victim?”

Paradissis said there was no way that Maguire and his co-defendants, brother Joe and friend Christopher Sharman, could not have known that they were dealing with police officers.

“Of course, because that’s the first thing they said,” he added. “The police officers were there for other duties and they heard a brawl.

“So they heard some people fighting and went there to break up a fight. They said, ‘We’re police, stop fighting’. They were not in uniform but they showed their professional IDs.”

Maguire signed a boot deal with Puma worth a reported £700,000 a year last year.

The sportswear manufacturer declined to comment on Tuesday’s verdict when contacted by the PA news agency on Wednesday morning.

 

The post Maguire’s legal team launch appeal against guilty verdict appeared first on Football365.

Source : Football 365 More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.