Marlon Vera ‘not desperate’ to fight Dominick Cruz: ‘He was the one that was getting on the rankings’

Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLCFor UFC bantamweight Marlon Vera, a callout of ex-champ Dominick Cruz after UFC Vegas 29 was strictly business. Cruz was calling Vera’s “Fight of the Night” winner on Saturday in Las Vegas and was again put on the spot by a fighter hoping to boost his stock. Vera said it was just a request, not a demand. “He was too close to me, and he’s ahead on the rankings,” he said on the ESPN post-fight show for UFC Vegas 29, which took place at UFC APEX. “So it’s fight that I think is a fun fight, but I’m not desperate, or I’m dying to fight. I’ll fight anybody, and I proved it by taking this fight. Because, let’s be real, after going in a close fight with Jose Aldo, this is a huge step back, and that’s a lot of pressure on me. “He was getting in the rankings with a win. I don’t get much, but I prepare myself very well, and anybody in front of me I’m going to put him out, and that’s what we came to do tonight.” Cruz in March rebounded from a two-fight skid that saw him cede the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt and then fail to win it back in a fight with now-former champ Henry Cejudo. In between those bouts Cruz grappled with serious injuries – a persistent career theme – that delayed his return. But he outpointed division standout Casey Kenney at UFC 259 to beat back calls for retirement. Since then, Cruz has taken the No. 9 spot in the UFC rankings – and fielded plenty of unofficial offers. The No. 15 Vera, as he indicated on the broadcast, wasn’t one of them. “There’s a long list of people calling me out,” Cruz said. “We’re all trying to fight up the rankings, up the ladder. I’ve got to respect somebody that’s trying to fight up the rankings. He wants to fight me. I want to fight up the ladder, too.” After his impressive win at #UFCVegas29, @chitoveraUFC called out Dominick Cruz, who was sitting cageside and gave an immediate response. pic.twitter.com/cNMbVgqaGX— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) June 20, 2021 Still, Vera was a big winner on Saturday night, leaving the audience cheering as he battled with Grant in a bloody three-round fight. At times, it looked like Grant’s heavy hands may turn the tide. But Vera stayed strong and avenged a 2016 loss with a unanimous decision. Afterward, Vera shared a few (mostly nice) words with Cruz, who was still in wardrobe after a night of work at the APEX. Dominick Cruz and Marlon Vera backstage. "I really don't like you but I don't have my pants on so I know how weird that is."#UFCVegas29 pic.twitter.com/995031O8DM— MMA mania (@mmamania) June 20, 2021 That may be the closest the two bantamweights get to each other, but time will tell.

Marlon Vera ‘not desperate’ to fight Dominick Cruz: ‘He was the one that was getting on the rankings’
Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC

For UFC bantamweight Marlon Vera, a callout of ex-champ Dominick Cruz after UFC Vegas 29 was strictly business.

Cruz was calling Vera’s “Fight of the Night” winner on Saturday in Las Vegas and was again put on the spot by a fighter hoping to boost his stock. Vera said it was just a request, not a demand.

“He was too close to me, and he’s ahead on the rankings,” he said on the ESPN post-fight show for UFC Vegas 29, which took place at UFC APEX. “So it’s fight that I think is a fun fight, but I’m not desperate, or I’m dying to fight. I’ll fight anybody, and I proved it by taking this fight. Because, let’s be real, after going in a close fight with Jose Aldo, this is a huge step back, and that’s a lot of pressure on me.

“He was getting in the rankings with a win. I don’t get much, but I prepare myself very well, and anybody in front of me I’m going to put him out, and that’s what we came to do tonight.”

Cruz in March rebounded from a two-fight skid that saw him cede the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt and then fail to win it back in a fight with now-former champ Henry Cejudo. In between those bouts Cruz grappled with serious injuries – a persistent career theme – that delayed his return. But he outpointed division standout Casey Kenney at UFC 259 to beat back calls for retirement.

Since then, Cruz has taken the No. 9 spot in the UFC rankings – and fielded plenty of unofficial offers. The No. 15 Vera, as he indicated on the broadcast, wasn’t one of them.

“There’s a long list of people calling me out,” Cruz said. “We’re all trying to fight up the rankings, up the ladder. I’ve got to respect somebody that’s trying to fight up the rankings. He wants to fight me. I want to fight up the ladder, too.”

Still, Vera was a big winner on Saturday night, leaving the audience cheering as he battled with Grant in a bloody three-round fight. At times, it looked like Grant’s heavy hands may turn the tide. But Vera stayed strong and avenged a 2016 loss with a unanimous decision.

Afterward, Vera shared a few (mostly nice) words with Cruz, who was still in wardrobe after a night of work at the APEX.

That may be the closest the two bantamweights get to each other, but time will tell.

Source : MMA Fighting More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Dan Ige congratulates The Korean Zombie, ‘already plotting a way to climb the mountain again’

Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLCUFC featherweight Dan Ige has released a statement after his loss to The Korean Zombie at UFC Vegas 29. Ige congratulated Zombie, otherwise known as Chan Sung Jung, in an Instagram post the day after his unanimous decision loss in the headliner of Saturday’s event at UFC APEX in Las Vegas. The 29-year-old Ige, who’s currently No. 8 in the UFC’s rankings, said his loss “definitely stung a bit more” given the ground he would have gained with a win over the No. 4 Zombie. Added Ige, “I’m obviously heartbroken as I sit here in the valley of defeat but I’m already plotting a way to climb the mountain again with goals to reach the top of the throne.” View this post on Instagram A post shared by Dan “50k” Ige ™️ (@dynamitedan808) Ige also thanked his family and wished his supporters a happy Father’s Day. The loss sent Ige back to the drawing board after a highlight-reel knockout of Gavin Tucker in his previous outing, which followed another setback against a highly-ranked opponent in Calvin Kattar. Zombie also bounced back after a decision loss to Brian Ortega that delayed his title hopes. He appeared to call for a fight with Max Holloway after his win on Saturday night.

Dan Ige congratulates The Korean Zombie, ‘already plotting a way to climb the mountain again’
Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC

UFC featherweight Dan Ige has released a statement after his loss to The Korean Zombie at UFC Vegas 29.

Ige congratulated Zombie, otherwise known as Chan Sung Jung, in an Instagram post the day after his unanimous decision loss in the headliner of Saturday’s event at UFC APEX in Las Vegas.

The 29-year-old Ige, who’s currently No. 8 in the UFC’s rankings, said his loss “definitely stung a bit more” given the ground he would have gained with a win over the No. 4 Zombie.

Added Ige, “I’m obviously heartbroken as I sit here in the valley of defeat but I’m already plotting a way to climb the mountain again with goals to reach the top of the throne.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Dan “50k” Ige ™️ (@dynamitedan808)

Ige also thanked his family and wished his supporters a happy Father’s Day.

The loss sent Ige back to the drawing board after a highlight-reel knockout of Gavin Tucker in his previous outing, which followed another setback against a highly-ranked opponent in Calvin Kattar.

Zombie also bounced back after a decision loss to Brian Ortega that delayed his title hopes. He appeared to call for a fight with Max Holloway after his win on Saturday night.

Source : MMA Fighting More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.