Morning Report: Leon Edwards plans on waiting for title shot, says of Jorge Masvidal: ‘I don’t feel I need to do that now’

Esther Lin, MMA FightingThis past Saturday at UFC 263, Leon Edwards was given a showcase opportunity to stake his claim for a welterweight title shot when he fought Nate Diaz in the UFC’s first ever five-round non-main event, non-title fight. Unfortunately for Edwards, the showcase didn’t go quite as planned. Though Edwards won a clear decision over Diaz, in the final minute of the bout, Stockton’s finest rocked the Birmingham native and nearly finished the fight, putting Edwards’ title hopes in jeopardy. Following the bout, welterweight champion Kamaru Usman basically said as much, commenting that the last minute heroics from Diaz did not help Edwards’ case for a title shot and UFC President Dana White confirmed as much when he doubled down that former interim champion Colby Covington would be next in line. Edwards was not particularly happy about this turn of events but if that’s the way things are, then “Rocky” says he’s content to sit on the sidelines and face the winner later this year. “Let’s say they do give Colby the title shot, I’m not fighting no one else unless it’s a title shot. That’s just it,” Edwards told the UFC’s John Gooden. “I’m not gonna start fighting 10, 11, 12 fights and still ain’t got a title shot. I’ve earned my way. I didn’t b*tch and moan when I took my loss against Kamaru. I worked my way back up to now have a 9, 10-fight win streak. I feel like I deserve it. “Colby went and got knocked out for the title shot, went and got a weird win, and now is back in for a title shot, which is f*cked up. It is what it is but let’s say they do give him the title shot, then I’ll fight the winner later on this year but I’m not fighting no one else.” Edwards is in a difficult situation. After losing to Usman back in 2015, Edwards then put together an eight-fight winning streak that had him knocking on the door of a title shot. Unfortunately, injuries and COVID-19 kept him out of the cage for nearly two years and when he finally did return earlier this year against Belal Muhammad, an eye poke from Edwards caused the bout to end in a No Contest just 18 seconds into the second round. Now with the Diaz ending, though Edwards feels he deserves a title shot, he may well need to have one more bout and there’s one name that seems to make the most sense: Jorge Masvidal. Edwards and Masvidal have a history dating back to UFC London in 2019 where, during a backstage confrontation, Masvidal attacked Edwards with the now infamous “three-piece with the soda.” After the incident, Edwards campaigned for a fight with Masvidal but “Gamebred” pursued more lucrative bouts, including a pair of title shots against Usman. Now though, following his second loss to Usman, Masvidal is looking for a top-five opponent and Edwards may well fit the bill. The only problem is that now Edwards is the one not interested in the fight. “I know they’re talking about Masvidal but I’ve been asking to fight Masvidal f*cking two or three years ago,” Edwards said. “Like, running him down but he kept turning me down and saying ‘Nah, I don’t want to fight,’ even though the UFC wanted it. Now I feel he’s just been chinned for the world title, I don’t feel I need to do that now. I’ll wait for my title shot. I worked hard to get here and that’s just more time to plan.” But though he is less interested in it, that hasn’t stopped the two from chirping at each other. After UFC 263, Masvidal commented on Edwards’ performance, saying it was a good performance but saying that Edwards is “not a fighter.” The two then exchanged shots via social media, with Masvidal now seemingly campaigning for the fight. That boy awake the last time he said that he got put to sleep ‍♂️ https://t.co/TkBcTm29p4— Leon 'Rocky' Edwards (@Leon_edwardsmma) June 17, 2021 Say it to my face #3pcanda — Jorge Masvidal UFC (@GamebredFighter) June 18, 2021 If the UFC feels Edwards needs another win before getting a title shot, a fight with Masvidal makes sense and though Edwards remains firm that he believes he’s already done enough to get a title shot, given his history with Masvidal, Edwards does say that the UFC might could sway him otherwise. “Let’s just see how it plays out,” Edwards say. “If they come to me with a good deal and good money, probably. I might think about it. But right now my mind is totally focused on the world title shot.... “(2022) will be my year. I’ll be a world champion by the end of the year. I can feel it. Everything happens for a reason and however it plays out, it plays out, but I will be a world champion by the end of the year.” TOP STORIES Results. Gleison Tibau wins controversial split decision over Rory MacDonald in main event of PFL 5. Feud. Jorge Masvidal targets UFC return, says lack of ‘grit’ and ‘meanness’ holding Leon Edwards back: ‘He’s not a fighter’. Boxing. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Vitor Belfort exhibition bout booked for Triller event on Sept. 11. Football. Khabib Nurmagomedov interested in football career: ‘This is my firs

Morning Report: Leon Edwards plans on waiting for title shot, says of Jorge Masvidal: ‘I don’t feel I need to do that now’
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

This past Saturday at UFC 263, Leon Edwards was given a showcase opportunity to stake his claim for a welterweight title shot when he fought Nate Diaz in the UFC’s first ever five-round non-main event, non-title fight. Unfortunately for Edwards, the showcase didn’t go quite as planned.

Though Edwards won a clear decision over Diaz, in the final minute of the bout, Stockton’s finest rocked the Birmingham native and nearly finished the fight, putting Edwards’ title hopes in jeopardy. Following the bout, welterweight champion Kamaru Usman basically said as much, commenting that the last minute heroics from Diaz did not help Edwards’ case for a title shot and UFC President Dana White confirmed as much when he doubled down that former interim champion Colby Covington would be next in line. Edwards was not particularly happy about this turn of events but if that’s the way things are, then “Rocky” says he’s content to sit on the sidelines and face the winner later this year.

“Let’s say they do give Colby the title shot, I’m not fighting no one else unless it’s a title shot. That’s just it,” Edwards told the UFC’s John Gooden. “I’m not gonna start fighting 10, 11, 12 fights and still ain’t got a title shot. I’ve earned my way. I didn’t b*tch and moan when I took my loss against Kamaru. I worked my way back up to now have a 9, 10-fight win streak. I feel like I deserve it.

“Colby went and got knocked out for the title shot, went and got a weird win, and now is back in for a title shot, which is f*cked up. It is what it is but let’s say they do give him the title shot, then I’ll fight the winner later on this year but I’m not fighting no one else.”

Edwards is in a difficult situation. After losing to Usman back in 2015, Edwards then put together an eight-fight winning streak that had him knocking on the door of a title shot. Unfortunately, injuries and COVID-19 kept him out of the cage for nearly two years and when he finally did return earlier this year against Belal Muhammad, an eye poke from Edwards caused the bout to end in a No Contest just 18 seconds into the second round. Now with the Diaz ending, though Edwards feels he deserves a title shot, he may well need to have one more bout and there’s one name that seems to make the most sense: Jorge Masvidal.

Edwards and Masvidal have a history dating back to UFC London in 2019 where, during a backstage confrontation, Masvidal attacked Edwards with the now infamous “three-piece with the soda.” After the incident, Edwards campaigned for a fight with Masvidal but “Gamebred” pursued more lucrative bouts, including a pair of title shots against Usman. Now though, following his second loss to Usman, Masvidal is looking for a top-five opponent and Edwards may well fit the bill. The only problem is that now Edwards is the one not interested in the fight.

“I know they’re talking about Masvidal but I’ve been asking to fight Masvidal f*cking two or three years ago,” Edwards said. “Like, running him down but he kept turning me down and saying ‘Nah, I don’t want to fight,’ even though the UFC wanted it. Now I feel he’s just been chinned for the world title, I don’t feel I need to do that now. I’ll wait for my title shot. I worked hard to get here and that’s just more time to plan.”

But though he is less interested in it, that hasn’t stopped the two from chirping at each other. After UFC 263, Masvidal commented on Edwards’ performance, saying it was a good performance but saying that Edwards is “not a fighter.” The two then exchanged shots via social media, with Masvidal now seemingly campaigning for the fight.

If the UFC feels Edwards needs another win before getting a title shot, a fight with Masvidal makes sense and though Edwards remains firm that he believes he’s already done enough to get a title shot, given his history with Masvidal, Edwards does say that the UFC might could sway him otherwise.

“Let’s just see how it plays out,” Edwards say. “If they come to me with a good deal and good money, probably. I might think about it. But right now my mind is totally focused on the world title shot....

“(2022) will be my year. I’ll be a world champion by the end of the year. I can feel it. Everything happens for a reason and however it plays out, it plays out, but I will be a world champion by the end of the year.”


TOP STORIES

Results. Gleison Tibau wins controversial split decision over Rory MacDonald in main event of PFL 5.

Feud. Jorge Masvidal targets UFC return, says lack of ‘grit’ and ‘meanness’ holding Leon Edwards back: ‘He’s not a fighter’.

Boxing. Oscar De La Hoya vs. Vitor Belfort exhibition bout booked for Triller event on Sept. 11.

Football. Khabib Nurmagomedov interested in football career: ‘This is my first love’.


VIDEO STEW

Between the Links.

PFL 5 Highlights.

UFC Vegas 29 Fighters You Should Know.

Top RNCs from Bellator.

Vitor has big plans.


LISTEN UP

UFC Unfiltered. Interviews with Marlon Vera and Matt Brown.


SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE

Reaction.

Offer.

Sean O’Malley.

Phenomenal.

Dan Hardy.


FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS

(6-2, 1 NC) vs. (15-6); PFL 6, June 25.

(17-4) vs. Chandler Cole (8-2); PFL 6, June 25.

(15-4, 1 NC) vs. (11-6); PFL 6, June 25.

(10-1) vs. (13-8); Bellator 262, July 16.

(21-8) vs. (8-3); Bellator 262, July 16.


FINAL THOUGHTS

Thanks for reading and see y’all on Monday.


EXIT POLL


If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up on Twitter and let him know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on and like us on .

Source : MMA Fighting More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Rory MacDonald rips judging in split decision loss to Gleison Tibau: ‘It was a clear robbery’

Rory MacDonald wasn’t happy with his split decision loss to Gleison Tibau at PFL 5. | PFLRory MacDonald knows without a doubt he should be going home from PFL 5 with a win on his record. Instead, he’ll enter the PFL playoffs coming off a highly controversial split decision loss after falling to Gleison Tibau in a three-round fight that seemed like a guaranteed victory until the judges’ scorecards were announced. “I’m very disappointed,” MacDonald said at the PFL 5 post-fight press conference. “I believe and everyone I talked to, everyone online, scored the fight for me, even three rounds to zero. I think it was a clear robbery. I thought I was dominant in this fight. “It was a hard fight. Gleison brought it and respect to him, but I believe that I clearly won that fight. I think this should be looked into.” Over the course of three rounds, MacDonald was constantly sticking his jab in Tibau’s face, using a considerable reach advantage to help him score with striking combinations. While Tibau refused to go away and he continued to swing with big power behind his punches, he was taking far more shots than he was delivering during the course of the fight. When the decision was read, MacDonald was visibly dejected by the scorecards. He carried that same demeanor into the press conference, where he was understandably upset with the loss being added to his resume. “I was totally sure [I won],” MacDonald said. “I was so surprised when the first judge they announced scored it for him. I was shocked. But when I heard the split decision that he got, I was blown away. I mean, what do you say? I didn’t see it that way at all.” Controversial calls being handed down by judges in mixed martial arts is certainly nothing new but MacDonald appears to be the latest victim to the constant trend of puzzling scores, especially when breaking it down round-by-round. The biggest difference on Thursday night came down to judges Cardo Urso and Dave Tirelli giving the first round to Tibau despite MacDonald landing the cleaner combinations, scoring numerous shots to the body, as well as nearly securing a rear-naked choke submission after MacDonald took his opponent’s back during a grappling exchange. Here are the scorecards for the Gleison Tibau split decision win over Rory MacDonald: #2021PFL5 pic.twitter.com/lDbA5Fb6Lo— Michael Stets (@Michael_Stets) June 18, 2021 Only judge Eric Colon gave MacDonald the first round on his scorecard, and ultimately Colon was the only one giving MacDonald the nod when the fight was over. Despite the result in this particular matchup, MacDonald will still move forward into the PFL playoffs. But that doesn’t negate his opinion on the poor judging that cost him a second consecutive win in 2021. “We shouldn’t have to [worry] as fighters, as competitors,” MacDonald said about the scoring in his fight. “We should be able to fight and rest easy that we have competent, fair, truthful judging in our sport. It shouldn’t be something that we have to worry about and stick our necks out on the line and our health to do something stupid. It’s just crazy. “We don’t have this in any other major sporting event. It just seems like over and over and over again we’re getting this in our sport and it’s just a real shame.” Catch complete PFL 5 results here.

Rory MacDonald rips judging in split decision loss to Gleison Tibau: ‘It was a clear robbery’
Rory MacDonald wasn’t happy with his split decision loss to Gleison Tibau at PFL 5. | PFL

Rory MacDonald knows without a doubt he should be going home from PFL 5 with a win on his record.

Instead, he’ll enter the PFL playoffs coming off a highly controversial split decision loss after falling to Gleison Tibau in a three-round fight that seemed like a guaranteed victory until the judges’ scorecards were announced.

“I’m very disappointed,” MacDonald said at the PFL 5 post-fight press conference. “I believe and everyone I talked to, everyone online, scored the fight for me, even three rounds to zero. I think it was a clear robbery. I thought I was dominant in this fight.

“It was a hard fight. Gleison brought it and respect to him, but I believe that I clearly won that fight. I think this should be looked into.”

Over the course of three rounds, MacDonald was constantly sticking his jab in Tibau’s face, using a considerable reach advantage to help him score with striking combinations. While Tibau refused to go away and he continued to swing with big power behind his punches, he was taking far more shots than he was delivering during the course of the fight.

When the decision was read, MacDonald was visibly dejected by the scorecards. He carried that same demeanor into the press conference, where he was understandably upset with the loss being added to his resume.

“I was totally sure [I won],” MacDonald said. “I was so surprised when the first judge they announced scored it for him. I was shocked. But when I heard the split decision that he got, I was blown away. I mean, what do you say? I didn’t see it that way at all.”

Controversial calls being handed down by judges in mixed martial arts is certainly nothing new but MacDonald appears to be the latest victim to the constant trend of puzzling scores, especially when breaking it down round-by-round.

The biggest difference on Thursday night came down to judges Cardo Urso and Dave Tirelli giving the first round to Tibau despite MacDonald landing the cleaner combinations, scoring numerous shots to the body, as well as nearly securing a rear-naked choke submission after MacDonald took his opponent’s back during a grappling exchange.

Only judge Eric Colon gave MacDonald the first round on his scorecard, and ultimately Colon was the only one giving MacDonald the nod when the fight was over.

Despite the result in this particular matchup, MacDonald will still move forward into the PFL playoffs. But that doesn’t negate his opinion on the poor judging that cost him a second consecutive win in 2021.

“We shouldn’t have to [worry] as fighters, as competitors,” MacDonald said about the scoring in his fight. “We should be able to fight and rest easy that we have competent, fair, truthful judging in our sport. It shouldn’t be something that we have to worry about and stick our necks out on the line and our health to do something stupid. It’s just crazy.

“We don’t have this in any other major sporting event. It just seems like over and over and over again we’re getting this in our sport and it’s just a real shame.”

Catch complete PFL 5 results here.

Source : MMA Fighting More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.