NASA, SpaceX historic launch delayed due to bad weather

WASHINGTON NASA and private aerospace manufacturer SpaceX are delaying their historic space launch Wednesday after poor weather conditions jeopardized the crew’s safety. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine confirmed on Twitter that the launch will be delayed until Saturday, stressing “safety for our crew members” is the agency’s “top priority.” “We’ll try, try again to #LaunchAmerica on …

NASA, SpaceX historic launch delayed due to bad weather

WASHINGTON

NASA and private aerospace manufacturer SpaceX are delaying their historic space launch Wednesday after poor weather conditions jeopardized the crew’s safety.

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine confirmed on Twitter that the launch will be delayed until Saturday, stressing “safety for our crew members” is the agency’s “top priority.”

“We’ll try, try again to #LaunchAmerica on Saturday with liftoff at 3:22pm ET [1922GMT],” he said.

The rescheduling was also confirmed by SpaceX, which said the time slot noted by Bridenstine is the “next launch opportunity” for the mission.

When completed, the launch to the International Space Station will not only mark SpaceX’s first manned launch, it will be the first privately-developed spacecraft to carry humans into space. It will also be the first time astronauts have been sent into outer space from the US since NASA ended its manned program in July 2011.

The launch could usher in a new era where private companies, not governments, send people into space.

Blastoff was slated for 4.43 p.m. local time (2043GMT), but weather around Cape Canaveral, Florida had been dicey with rain, clouds and thunderstorms that ultimately derailed plans.

Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley, the two NASA astronauts that will be carried into space aboard a SpaceX Dragon reusable spacecraft, had been loaded into the vessel hours ahead of launch before it was called off.

They were driven to the launchpad in Tesla Model X’s, the luxury SUVs built by CEO Elon Musk’s electric vehicle company. He is also the CEO of SpaceX.

“This is a dream come true, I think for me, and everyone at SpaceX,” Musk said hours before the launch. “If somebody told me in 2002 that I would be standing here with NASA’s administrator, meeting the astronauts, and the rocket and spacecraft on Pad 39A, the best pad in the world, it’s an honor to be there, I would have thought ‘man, I don’t know what you’re talking about.'”

Source : Voice of South Asia More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

UN chief laments lack of support for global cease-fire

WASHINGTON UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres expressed sorrow Wednesday for the lack of support for his call for a global cease-fire to fight the coronavirus pandemic. Speaking at a UN Security Council session on the protection of civilians in armed conflicts, Guterres said a global cease-fire would help combat the pandemic, facilitate humanitarian aid to …

UN chief laments lack of support for global cease-fire

WASHINGTON

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres expressed sorrow Wednesday for the lack of support for his call for a global cease-fire to fight the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking at a UN Security Council session on the protection of civilians in armed conflicts, Guterres said a global cease-fire would help combat the pandemic, facilitate humanitarian aid to vulnerable people and open space for dialogue.

“I am encouraged by expressions of support. However, this support has not been translated into concrete action,” said the UN chief. “In some cases, the pandemic may even create incentives for warring parties to press their advantage, or to strike hard while international attention is focused elsewhere.”

He made the call in March, three months after the first cases emerged outside mainland China, which is zero ground for the virus that has infected 5.6 million people worldwide.

Guterres said the pandemic, known as COVID-19, continues to spread, causing suffering and additional stress to health systems, economies and communities.

“Those that are already weakened by years of armed conflict are particularly vulnerable,” he said.

The UN Mission in Libya documented at least 58 civilians killed and 190 injured between April 1 and May 18, Guterres said.

“Where armed conflict continues, COVID-19 makes the protection of civilians more challenging than ever – and our support more important than ever,” he added.

Source : Voice of South Asia More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.