New Bledisloe fixture sends Aussies to Eden Park twice

New Zealand Rugby has shifted game two of the Bledisloe Cup series against Australia north to their house of pain, Auckland’s Eden Park. The Wallabies will get two chances to break their Eden Park hoodoo this month after New Zealand Rugby (NZR) moved the second trans-Tasman clash from Wellington to Auckland. In response to New […]

New Bledisloe fixture sends Aussies to Eden Park twice

New Zealand Rugby has shifted game two of the Bledisloe Cup series against Australia north to their house of pain, Auckland’s Eden Park.

The Wallabies will get two chances to break their Eden Park hoodoo this month after New Zealand Rugby (NZR) moved the second trans-Tasman clash from Wellington to Auckland.

In response to New Zealand’s new border settings, New Zealand will now host back-to-back Tests at Eden Park – where the All Blacks have won 20 straight against Australia – on August 7 and 14.

“Circumstances are out of our hands with what’s happened at the borders,” NZR chief executive Mark Robinson said.

“That’s not something we have been able to influence.”

The third and only Australia-hosted Bledisloe Cup Test in the three-match series has been shifted back a week and will now be played on August 28 at Perth’s Optus Stadium.

The series was originally scheduled to start in Auckland, head to Perth for Test two and conclude at Wellington’s Sky Stadium, where the Wallabies drew 16-16 with New Zealand last year.

The difficulties of entering New Zealand has necessitated playing two Tests to start the series, meaning the All Blacks could wrap up the Bledisloe before the series arrived in Australia.

Robinson denied it was unfair, or that Eden Park had been selected because of the Wallabies’ abysmal record there.

An existing booking for a craft beer festival at Sky Stadium on August 14 meant NZR would have had to play on Sunday if they were to play in the capital.

“The game would have had to be played quite late … when we weighed up all the different moving parts this is where we ended up,” Robinson said.

No current Wallabies squad member was alive when Australia last won a Test at Eden Park, in 1986.

Robinson confirmed the All Blacks’ two Rugby Championship matches with Argentina would be played in Australia, but NZR still hopes to bring South Africa to New Zealand later in the season.

You can check out the entire Bledisloe Cup fixture here.

Source : The Roar More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct hearing

South African Rugby and World Cup-winning coach Rassie Erasmus has been called to a misconduct hearing after his hour-long video critique of the match officials following the first Test loss to the British and Irish Lions. World Rugby has expressed concern that “individuals from both teams have commented on the selection and/or performance of match […]

Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct hearing

South African Rugby and World Cup-winning coach Rassie Erasmus has been called to a misconduct hearing after his hour-long video critique of the match officials following the first Test loss to the British and Irish Lions.

World Rugby has expressed concern that “individuals from both teams have commented on the selection and/or performance of match officials”, but say the direct nature of Erasmus’s unprecedented public outburst requires a misconduct charge.

“Match officials are the backbone of the sport, and without them there is no game,” a World Rugby statement said on Monday.

The statement added that the video – in which Erasmus criticised Australian referee Nic Berry during his 62-minute dissection of his side’s 22-17 defeat in Cape Town – was a breach of World Rugby Regulations and would be considered by an independent disciplinary panel.

Potential sanctions for Erasmus, who now serves as South Africa’s director of rugby, range from a warning or a fine, to a possible suspension from his position as an administrator.

“SA Rugby has noted the charges brought by World Rugby and will respond through the designated channels. There will be no further comment until the process is complete,” SA Rugby said in a statement.

The Springboks had been angered by comments made by Lions coach Warren Gatland before the series started after scrumhalf Faf de Klerk evaded a red card for a tackle in South Africa ‘A’s victory over the tourists.

British media also reported that Gatland was furious at the appointment of South African Marius Jonker as Television Match Official for the series when New Zealander Brendon Pickerill could not take up the position due to travel issues.

“World Rugby has reminded the management of both teams… of their obligations regarding the values of the sport,” the statement continued.

“World Rugby will also undertake a review of its Code of Conduct relating to incidents of this nature with a view to strengthening scope, rules and sanctions.”

They added that the series is “an opportunity for both teams and their management to set a positive example and concentrate on the spectacle and a wonderful example of rugby and its values at their best”.

The tempestuous three-match series is level at 1-1 going into the final Test in Cape Town on Saturday.

Source : The Roar More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.