NSW Police launch fresh appeal after death of teenage boy in suspected arson attack

Tahma Teara-Jones had been staying at a friend's home on the night of the fire.

NSW Police launch fresh appeal after death of teenage boy in suspected arson attack

New South Wales Police are this morning renewing their appeal for information after a 14-year-old boy died in a suspected arson attack.

The body of Tahma Teara-Jones was found inside the upstairs bedroom of a burned out home in Macquarie Fields on Wednesday June 30.

The fire broke out just before 1.30am and the occupants were able to escape but the teenager was unaccounted for.

READ MORE:

Police were told Tahma had been staying with a friend who resided at the home on the night the fire.

Initial inquiries determined the fire had been deliberately lit.

Family representative Tristan Dunphy will today join police in appealing anyone to come forward who may know who started the fire.

"This is about the death of Tahma, who meant a lot to his family and the community. He had his whole life ahead of him," Mr Dunphy said.

READ MORE:

"If you have any information about his death, please consider the trauma Tahma's family are currently going through and reach out and speak to authorities."

Arson Unit Coordinator Detective Chief Inspector Richard Puffett said police suspect someone in the community knows what happened.

"While we have already spoken with dozens of residents and other witnesses, investigators believe there are still people – particularly local children who knew Tahma – who have an idea of how this fire may have started," Detective Chief Inspector Puffett said.

"These are incredibly tragic circumstances that cost a 14-year-old boy his life, and Tahma's family deserve answers.

"As our inquiries continue, we are urging anyone who has information that may assist us, including anyone who may have been driving through the area at the time and noticed suspicious activity, to come forward."

Anyone with information is asked to call police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

'Friends bubble' to be introduced for under-18s

The so-called 'friends' or 'playdate' bubble will allow three people under 18 to meet up as they all live within the same local government area or within five kilometres of home.

'Friends bubble' to be introduced for under-18s

In welcome news for families at the beginning of the school holidays, children will soon be able to meet up with their friends under a new rule signed off by the New South Wales government.

The so-called 'friends' or 'playdate' bubble will allow three people under 18 to meet up as they all live within the same local government area or within five kilometres of home.

Adults supervising will need to be fully vaccinated.

READ MORE:

The change was signed off by the NSW Government overnight and is set to take effect from this morning.

NSW Deputy Premier said the announcement was a reward for parents and children who have done it "tough" after months of lockdowns and at-home learning.

"We're in school holidays, kids have done it really, really tough, parents have done it tough," Mr Barilaro told Today.

"The mental strain, the wellbeing of our kids are important. So the crisis committee made a decision that we'll allow those kids to come together, just like we have the adult single bubbles but that's for the vaccinated.

"For kids you don't have to be vaccinated and we'll allow some kids to come together during the school holidays."

The announcement comes as Pfizer says its COVID-19 vaccine works for children ages five to 11 and is seeking US authorisation for this age group soon, marking a key step toward beginning vaccinations for youngsters.

The vaccine made by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech already is available for anyone 12 and older.

READ MORE:

Meanwhile, as vaccination among adults increases across NSW, it is hoped lockdowns could be lifted as early as October 11 - three weeks earlier than previously thought.

Yesterday NSW recorded 935 new local COVID-19 cases and four further deaths.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the numbers were an "outstanding result", but warned against reading too much into cases falling bellow 1000.

She said hospitalisations and deaths would likely worsen into October.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.