Oman Rejigs COVID Quarantine Rules For Arriving Passengers
Traveling to Oman? The country has changed and clarified its rules for international arrivals. This includes a mandatory…
Traveling to Oman? The country has changed and clarified its rules for international arrivals. This includes a mandatory quarantine for many non-Omanis and complete travel bans for others – with a few exemptions. Let’s take a look at the latest entry rules set up by Oman’s Civil Aviation Authority.
According to Gulf News, Oman’s Civil Aviation Authority has issued a circular for travelers and airlines to clarify restrictions and entry requirements. The country recently experienced its third wave of cases. Hopefully, with the help of travel restrictions, new daily cases will continue to fall from the peak experienced two weeks ago.
Oman’s no-entry list
Travelers from the following countries are banned from entering Oman until further notice:
- South Africa
- Sierra Leone
- United Kingdom
- The Philippines
Mandatory quarantine and other requirements for other arrivals
For non-Omani travelers coming from all countries other than the above, a seven-day mandatory institutional (hotel) quarantine is required. The following will be required in order to board your flight to Oman, according to Oman Air:
- Proof of a hotel booking for seven nights or a guarantee letter from their sponsor, which specifies details of the arrangements that have been made in accordance with the institutional quarantine requirements.
- Proof of a negative PCR test (dated within 72 hours of the scheduled time of arrival in Oman)
- Completion of pre-registration (including pre-payment) for a mandatory PCR test on arrival.
- Downloading of a contact tracing app (Tarassud+)
- Health insurance, including coverage for COVID-19 for a period of one month from the date of scheduled arrival in Oman.
This quarantine applies to all non-Omani arrivals as of today, May 11th.
In terms of quarantine accommodations, arrivals can choose from hotels on a government-approved list. The Oman Observer notes that there are 45 shortlisted hotels:
- 19 in Muscat
- Two in Musandam
- Three in Dhofar
- Four in Buraimi
- One in Al Batinah South
- Three in Al Batinah North
- Three in Al Sharqiyah South
- Four in Al Sharqiyah North
- Five in Al Dakhilyiah
- and one in Al Wusta
Arrivals must also wear a wristband/bracelet for the purposes of contact tracing. This is known as the Tarassud+ bracelet.
Exemptions to entry requirements
Exempt from mandatory hotel quarantine are Omani citizens and their families. However, they will be required to undergo a seven-day quarantine at their home.
Also exempt are diplomats, health workers, and their families, as well as airline crew. However, people in these categories are subject to the procedures adopted upon entering Oman.
With these measures, in combination with vaccination efforts, the Sultanate of Oman hopes to crush its daily case counts and bring them under control.
What do you think of these travel restrictions and requirements? Do you have plans to visit Oman soon? Let us know in the comments.