Petronas reiterates commitment to Mercedes F1 amid Aramco rumors

Mercedes F1 partner Petronas says it will continue its collaboration with the German outfit based on its multi-year... The post Petronas reiterates commitment to Mercedes F1 amid Aramco rumors appeared first on F1i.com.

Petronas reiterates commitment to Mercedes F1 amid Aramco rumors

Mercedes F1 partner Petronas says it will continue its collaboration with the German outfit based on its multi-year deal with the latter, dismissing rumors of an impending exit from F1.

The Malaysian oil and gas company has partnered with the Mercedes works outfit since its return to F1 in 2010, a collaboration that has yielded tremendous success.

However, Petronas' departure from MotoGP that was announced last summer led to speculation that the company could also exit F1.

Over the weekend, a story emerged claiming that Mercedes was set to drop Petronas in favour of a title sponsorship deal with Saudi Aramco.

  • Read also: Mercedes reportedly set to drop Petronas for Aramco deal

The report argued that Mercedes F1 part-owner INEOS' involvement in Saudi Arabia had paved the way for a partnership between Aramco and Mercedes.

But in a statement published on Monday, Petronas has moved to dispel the hearsay.

"Petronas and Mercedes have been partners since 2010 in a collaborative long-term relationship that is mutually beneficial to both parties," the company said.

"Last year, we extended our partnership for another multi-year cycle and we are proud to continue to be working together to deliver cutting-edge performance."

Formula 1 will race in Saudi Arabia for the first time later this year, with Jeddah hosting a round of the F1 world championship on December 5.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Petronas reiterates commitment to Mercedes F1 amid Aramco rumors appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

McLaren not focused on moving O'Ward to Formula 1

McLaren will take stock of Patricio O'Ward's upcoming F1 test in Abu Dhabi, but the papaya squad says... The post McLaren not focused on moving O'Ward to Formula 1 appeared first on F1i.com.

McLaren not focused on moving O'Ward to Formula 1

McLaren will take stock of Patricio O'Ward's upcoming F1 test in Abu Dhabi, but the papaya squad says its priority is to see the Mexican continue to perform in IndyCar in the coming years.

O'Ward was promised an F1 test outing by McLaren boss Zak Brown if he won an IndyCar round this year, a challenge duly fulfilled by the 22-year-old at the Texas Motor Speedway back in May.

But the Arrow McLaren SP charger, who finished his 2021 IndyCar campaign third in the championship behind Alex Palou and Josef Newgarden, is expected to continue his development in the US for the foreseeable future.

However, Brown hasn't dismissed the possibility of drafting in O'Ward to compete in F1 if his results fulfil McLaren's expectations.

"We’ll see after he drives the car in Abu Dhabi," Brown said, as quoted by Motorsport.com. "He is focused on IndyCar and I want him to stay very focused on that.

"Obviously drivers always have an aspiration to drive in Formula 1, but I think we have to see how it goes in Abu Dhabi.

©ArrowMcLarenSP

"We also have to see how things develop in IndyCar and we also have to see how things develop in Formula 1 to see if there would even be an opportunity in the future. I think it’s important.

"We all focus on the job in hand and don’t get into thinking about what could be and what couldn’t be.

"As I told him, the best way to get to Formula 1 is to do what Villeneuve or Montoya did in the IndyCar championship [be champion]. Then we’ll see what happens."

  • Read also: McLaren boys from both sides of the pond enjoy a night out

Although he's keeping an eye on his IndyCar driver, Brown ruled out offering O'Ward a Friday practice outing in F1, and certainly not this season.

"We would never do it," said the McLaren Racing boss.

"We wouldn’t put a driver in free practice because, firstly, it compromises the weekend without a purpose. It would be news in Mexico, great publicity, but we will always make sure we lead with what is optimum performance, and putting a driver in either car would have an effect.

"But we are in the middle of a big battle for third in the championship with Ferrari and we won’t do anything to compromise that battle, that’s for sure."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post McLaren not focused on moving O'Ward to Formula 1 appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.