Premier Doug Ford pleads for ‘unity’ after ‘an extremely difficult and divisive’ federal election campaign

Premier Doug Ford, who remained neutral in the federal election, is calling for unity after “an extremely difficult and divisive” campaign.The Progressive Conservative premier specifically forbade his cabinet ministers and senior staff from helping Erin O’Toole’s Conservatives in Monday’s election.He also had a de facto truce with the federal Liberals, his partners during the COVID-19 pandemic that began in March 2020, and is continuing to negotiate an agreement with Ottawa on $10-a-day child care.“I want to congratulate Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on his re-election and congratulate all federal leaders who campaigned across Canada to ensure Canadians’ voices were heard on the important issues facing this country,” Ford said Tuesday.“COVID-19 doesn’t care about partisanship or politics and I will continue to work closely with the prime minister. People elected our government to work in the best interests of Ontario, not in service of one political party over others,” the premier said.“For many, this has been an extremely difficult and divisive election and I would like to take this opportunity to urge unity. Emotions have run high as candidates from all parties debated pandemic policies, including vaccine certificates,” he said.That was a reminder to Ontario voters, who go to the polls for a provincial election on June 2, that Ford differed from O’Toole over vaccine mandates.While the federal leader refused to even say how many of his candidates were vaccinated, the provincial Tories forced MPPs and candidates to get their shots or be ejected from the party. Veteran MPP Rick Nicholls (Chatham-Kent-Leamington) was defenestrated on Aug, 19. “Ontario is set to introduce its own vaccine certificate this Wednesday to enter certain higher-risk businesses and settings,” said the premier, who had initially opposed such measures, but announced them after Trudeau publicly urged him to do so earlier this month.“There are a lot of people who are concerned about this policy and I want you to know that I hear you. I understand your concerns about protecting your civil liberties and right to privacy,” said Ford.“While many fully vaccinated people like myself share these concerns, the greater concern is having to shut down again or experience a sudden surge in cases like in Alberta and Saskatchewan.”Both prairie provinces have been plunged into public health emergencies during the fourth wave of COVID-19 that Ontario, which has yet to fully reopen its economy, has avoided.“This pandemic remains an emergency and there are real-world consequences of not acting. We need to do everything in our power to avoid future lockdowns and closures,” he said.“That is why we are bringing in these exceptional measures on a temporary basis and will end them as soon as they can be responsibly removed.”Mindful that his sometime ally, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, is in political peril over a bungled response to the pandemic, Ford promised help for Albertans.“Alberta was there for Ontario earlier in the pandemic when we needed critical equipment and we will be there for them now.”The federal Tories lost four seats in Alberta — two to Trudeau’s Liberals and two to Jagmeet Singh’s NDP — in part because of Kenney’s unpopularity.Sources in Alberta told the Star the embattled premier may not survive much longer as United Conservative leader.“I think people were waiting until the (federal) election was done before moving on Jason,” said one senior federal Tory, speaking confidentially in order to discuss internal machinations.Kenney trails NDP Leader Rachel Notley, his predecessor as Alberta premier, in public opinion polls and could serve as a useful scapegoat for O’Toole, who is also fighting for his political life.Robert Benzie is the Star's Queen's Park bureau chief and a reporter covering Ontario politics. Follow him on Twitter: @robertbenzie

Premier Doug Ford pleads for ‘unity’ after ‘an extremely difficult and divisive’ federal election campaign

Premier Doug Ford, who remained neutral in the federal election, is calling for unity after “an extremely difficult and divisive” campaign.

The Progressive Conservative premier specifically forbade his cabinet ministers and senior staff from helping Erin O’Toole’s Conservatives in Monday’s election.

He also had a de facto truce with the federal Liberals, his partners during the COVID-19 pandemic that began in March 2020, and is continuing to negotiate an agreement with Ottawa on $10-a-day child care.

“I want to congratulate Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on his re-election and congratulate all federal leaders who campaigned across Canada to ensure Canadians’ voices were heard on the important issues facing this country,” Ford said Tuesday.

“COVID-19 doesn’t care about partisanship or politics and I will continue to work closely with the prime minister. People elected our government to work in the best interests of Ontario, not in service of one political party over others,” the premier said.

“For many, this has been an extremely difficult and divisive election and I would like to take this opportunity to urge unity. Emotions have run high as candidates from all parties debated pandemic policies, including vaccine certificates,” he said.

That was a reminder to Ontario voters, who go to the polls for a provincial election on June 2, that Ford differed from O’Toole over vaccine mandates.

While the federal leader refused to even say how many of his candidates were vaccinated, the provincial Tories forced MPPs and candidates to get their shots or be ejected from the party. Veteran MPP Rick Nicholls (Chatham-Kent-Leamington) was defenestrated on Aug, 19.

“Ontario is set to introduce its own vaccine certificate this Wednesday to enter certain higher-risk businesses and settings,” said the premier, who had initially opposed such measures, but announced them after Trudeau publicly urged him to do so earlier this month.

“There are a lot of people who are concerned about this policy and I want you to know that I hear you. I understand your concerns about protecting your civil liberties and right to privacy,” said Ford.

“While many fully vaccinated people like myself share these concerns, the greater concern is having to shut down again or experience a sudden surge in cases like in Alberta and Saskatchewan.”

Both prairie provinces have been plunged into public health emergencies during the fourth wave of COVID-19 that Ontario, which has yet to fully reopen its economy, has avoided.

“This pandemic remains an emergency and there are real-world consequences of not acting. We need to do everything in our power to avoid future lockdowns and closures,” he said.

“That is why we are bringing in these exceptional measures on a temporary basis and will end them as soon as they can be responsibly removed.”

Mindful that his sometime ally, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, is in political peril over a bungled response to the pandemic, Ford promised help for Albertans.

“Alberta was there for Ontario earlier in the pandemic when we needed critical equipment and we will be there for them now.”

The federal Tories lost four seats in Alberta — two to Trudeau’s Liberals and two to Jagmeet Singh’s NDP — in part because of Kenney’s unpopularity.

Sources in Alberta told the Star the embattled premier may not survive much longer as United Conservative leader.

“I think people were waiting until the (federal) election was done before moving on Jason,” said one senior federal Tory, speaking confidentially in order to discuss internal machinations.

Kenney trails NDP Leader Rachel Notley, his predecessor as Alberta premier, in public opinion polls and could serve as a useful scapegoat for O’Toole, who is also fighting for his political life.

Robert Benzie is the Star's Queen's Park bureau chief and a reporter covering Ontario politics. Follow him on Twitter: @robertbenzie

Source : Toronto Star More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Mayor De Blasio Announces Changes To Intake At Rikers Island After Isaabdul Karim’s Death, 12th In Last 12 Months

The Department of Correction said the 42-year-old father of two died shortly before 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the infirmary.

Mayor De Blasio Announces Changes To Intake At Rikers Island After Isaabdul Karim’s Death, 12th In Last 12 Months

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Bill de Blasio announced changes at Rikers Island Tuesday, after the 12th person died in custody at the jail in the past year.

The Department of Correction said 42-year-old as Isaabdul Karim died Sunday of natural causes.

His attorneys said the father of two contracted COVID while being held in intake for 10 days.

The Department of Correction said 42-year-old as Isaabdul Karim died shortly before 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the infirmary. (Credit: Legal Aid Society)

The mayor said new intake spaces will open at the jail Monday, and all detainees must go through intake in less than 24 hours.

Karim had been held at Rikers since Aug. 18 after he failed to report to his parole office for months, and for marijuana use, according to his attorneys.

De Blasio said he was not among the 191 parolees set to be released last week under the newly signed Less is More Act.

According to the DOC, 165 parolees have been released so far, in an effort to address overcrowding, deaths, increased violence and severe staff shortages.

Source : CBS News York More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.