Prison riot sparks four-hour standoff with police

A riot at a correctional centre in the Northern Territory overnight has sparked a four-hour standoff with police.

Prison riot sparks four-hour standoff with police

A riot at a correctional centre in the Northern Territory overnight has sparked a four-hour standoff with police.

9News understands more than 20 prisoners escaped their cells and jumped onto roofs at the Darwin Correctional Centre.

It is believed the riot started due to prisoner unrest about being separated from other inmates to maintain social distancing.

https://twitter.com/ainsleykoch/status/1260742521103122432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The prisoners, all understood to be minimum and medium security prisoners, started fires in three buildings.

An education building, a sport and recreational building, and a guard office were damaged.

One building was completely destroyed and is estimated to cost millions of dollars to replace. 

In a statement, the NT Police confirmed general duties officers and specialist TRG officers arrived at the prison at around 9pm yesterday.

Firefighters and a hazardous material truck also attended, along with paramedics.

It's understood two prisoners were injured, with one bitten by a dog.

A crime scene was established and detectives are continuing investigations today.

Attorney General Natasha Fyles and Corrections Commissioner Scott McNairn will hold a press conference this afternoon.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Fugitive charged after Melbourne murder manhunt

Police have charged Ricardo Barbaro, the man wanted over the murder of Melbourne mother Ellie Price.

Fugitive charged after Melbourne murder manhunt

Police have charged fugitive Ricardo Barbaro, the man wanted over the murder of Melbourne mother Ellie Price.

The 33-year-old was found this morning in Western Sydney after a week-long manhunt.

Detectives from the NSW State Crime Command received a tip-off and attended a unit at Amalfi Drive in Wentworth Point just before 11pm yesterday.

Ricardo Barbaro and Melbourne mum Ellie Price.

After a brief scuffle and negotiations, Mr Barbaro was taken into custody just after midnight.

He was taken to Concord Hospital for treatment for minor injuries and has now been charged with apprehension on a warrant issued in another state.

Mr Barbaro was refused bail at Parramatta Local Court and police confirmed they are not investigating anyone else in relation to the murder.

Victorian detectives are currently en route to Sydney to collect Mr Barbaro under an extradition order.

Ms Price's body was discovered in her South Melbourne apartment on May 4.

Police said they believed the 26-year-old suffered "a significant assault" about a week before her body was discovered.

"She may have been in those premises for a number of days, perhaps up to five days," Victoria Police Detective Inspector Tim Day said.

He confirmed Mr Barbaro and Ms Price had been in an on-off relationship since about October 2019 and asked anyone who may have been in the area of Park and Ferrars Streets around the time of her death to contact police if they have information.

Ms Price's Mercedes was found in nearby Diggers Rest last week and police urged anyone who may be harbouring Mr Barbaro to come forward.

"My warning is to those people that they do not want to put themselves in jeopardy of an accessory charge by harbouring him or assisting him during this time," Det. Insp. Day said earlier.

Mr Barbaro is a member of the Barbaro crime family and brother of Sydney underworld boss Pasquale Timothy Barbaro, 35, who was gunned down in 2016.

Tributes flow for slain Melbourne mother, Ellie Price

His grandfather Peter Pasquale Barbaro was also gunned down in Brisbane in 1990 while his cousin Pasquale Barbaro was killed alongside underworld figure Jason Moran while watching a children's football training session in 2003.

Barbaro's uncle - another Pasquale Barbaro, from Griffith in NSW - was the kingpin in the world's biggest ecstasy bust in 2007. He was sentenced in Melbourne to 30 years in jail in 2012.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.