PSL: Youngest players used in the 2019/20 league season
We take a look at the youngest players used in the PSL top flight in the 2019/20 season.
From the opening weekend of the 2019/20 PSL season, teams not only showed off their new signings – but also what they have in their ranks in terms of teenage sensations.
The current campaign – which has since been suspended indefinitely – kicked off on 3 August, and its opening two days had no less than five players aged below 20 awarded a chance to show their talents early on.
Average player age in the 2019/20 Premiership
The saw a lot of teams putting faith in experience, particularly in defensive positions where only a handful of youngsters got a run.
A total of 12 teenagers had a run in the league before fixtures were suspended indefinitely, with two turning out in the colours of Bidvest Wits, while another pair represented Baroka.
Other teams such as Stellenbosch, Orlando Pirates and Supersport United each fielded one player aged below 20.
No team has fielded a teenage goalkeeper, while five midfielders below age 20 had a run during the course of the campaign, with four strikers and three defenders.
The average age of players used in the season so far is 27,4.
Youngest players used in the PSL this season
Top-flight newcomers Stellenbosch went into the break having fielded the youngest player to run out in the league this season.
Tanzanian midfielder Ally Msengi was entrusted with a starting berth against defending champions Mamelodi Sundowns less than three months after his 18th birthday.
Before Msengi made his PSL debut in March, Supersport’s Oswin Appollis was the youngest player used this season, having run out in a one-all draw against Stellenbosch in November, aged just 18 years, three months and five days.
Another 18-year-old to have had a kick about in a match situation is Bidvest Wits’ Rowan Human.
Teenagers in the Absa Premiership
The age stated below is how old each player was during his first match of the season. League fixtures only.
- Ally Msengi (Stellenbosch) – 18 years, two months and 20 days
- Oswin Appollis (Supersport United) – 18 years, three months and five days
- Rowan Human (Bidvest Wits) – 18 years, 11 months and 14 days
- Bongokuhle Hlongwane (Maritzburg United) – 19 years, one and month 15 days
- Thabiso Monyane (Orlando Pirates) – 19 years, three months four days
- Molahlehi Kunyedi (Bidvest Wits) – 19 years, three months and 24 days
- Luke Fleurs (Supersport United) – 19 years and five months
- Sphesihle Maduna (AmaZulu) – 19 years, seven months and eight days
- Goodman Mosele (Baroka) – 19 years, eight months and 16 days
- Evidence Makgopa (Baroka) – 19 years, eight months and 25 days
- Njabulo Blom (Kaizer Chiefs) – 19 years, nine months and 20 days
- Thalente Mbatha (Highlands Park) – 19 years, 10 months and two days