Reasonable? Shameful? Maybe Both? People Have Thoughts On Saunders Retiring On His Stool

By: Sean Crose Billy Joe Saunders did very well against Canelo Alvarez during their super middleweight title bout last night in Texas. He moved well, he was able to employ his jab, and he even had enough confidence to fight with his hands down. The problem is, fighting very well just isn't good enough when facing Canelo. The man just hits too hard, has too much professional patience, and, frankly, is just too self assured to be outslicked for long by someone of Saunders' level. The fact that Saunders operates at the top levels of the fight game and, before last night, had never lost a match, tells you all you need to know about just how good a fighter Canelo has become. Now Saunders, a brash, trash talking Englishman, must face both the physical and public fallout from his Canelo expedition. As someone put it on Twitter, Saunders quit on his stool Saturday night - and nothing can take away from that face. While that's true, there's more to this story than meets the eye (no pun intended). For Saunders' face was absolutely demolished by a Canelo uppercut in the eighth round. The physical effects of the shot were instantaneous. To his credit, Saunders was able to survive the round - but not get off his stool afterward. Of course, Saunders is now being taken to task for the decision not to continue. Here, after all, was a fighter who indicated he would die in the process of trying to win if he couldn't win outright. Here, also, was a fighter who was publicly critical of Daniel Dubois for "quitting" a fight last year. People, frankly, are finding it hard not to call Saunders a hypocrite after last night. If he had simply behaved as a gentleman, the logic goes, people would be more empathetic for the man right now. That's an understandable argument in the view of many, but it must also be understood that Saunders spent Saturday night in the hospital and may well require at least one surgery on his wounded face. Canelo says he knew instantly that his thunderous uppercut had done real damage, so much damage that he told his corner the fight was over before team Saunders officially called it a night. Canelo, of course, knows how good a fighter he is. And, make no mistake about it, Billy Joe Saunders knows how good a fighter Canelo is now, as well. The post Reasonable? Shameful? Maybe Both? People Have Thoughts On Saunders Retiring On His Stool appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Reasonable? Shameful? Maybe Both? People Have Thoughts On Saunders Retiring On His Stool

By: Sean Crose

Billy Joe Saunders did very well against Canelo Alvarez during their super middleweight title bout last night in Texas. He moved well, he was able to employ his jab, and he even had enough confidence to fight with his hands down. The problem is, fighting very well just isn't good enough when facing Canelo. The man just hits too hard, has too much professional patience, and, frankly, is just too self assured to be outslicked for long by someone of Saunders' level. The fact that Saunders operates at the top levels of the fight game and, before last night, had never lost a match, tells you all you need to know about just how good a fighter Canelo has become.

Now Saunders, a brash, trash talking Englishman, must face both the physical and public fallout from his Canelo expedition. As someone put it on Twitter, Saunders quit on his stool Saturday night - and nothing can take away from that face. While that's true, there's more to this story than meets the eye (no pun intended). For Saunders' face was absolutely demolished by a Canelo uppercut in the eighth round. The physical effects of the shot were instantaneous. To his credit, Saunders was able to survive the round - but not get off his stool afterward.

Of course, Saunders is now being taken to task for the decision not to continue. Here, after all, was a fighter who indicated he would die in the process of trying to win if he couldn't win outright. Here, also, was a fighter who was publicly critical of Daniel Dubois for "quitting" a fight last year. People, frankly, are finding it hard not to call Saunders a hypocrite after last night. If he had simply behaved as a gentleman, the logic goes, people would be more empathetic for the man right now.

That's an understandable argument in the view of many, but it must also be understood that Saunders spent Saturday night in the hospital and may well require at least one surgery on his wounded face. Canelo says he knew instantly that his thunderous uppercut had done real damage, so much damage that he told his corner the fight was over before team Saunders officially called it a night. Canelo, of course, knows how good a fighter he is. And, make no mistake about it, Billy Joe Saunders knows how good a fighter Canelo is now, as well.

The post Reasonable? Shameful? Maybe Both? People Have Thoughts On Saunders Retiring On His Stool appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Source : Boxing Insider More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Shinard Bunch Scores First-Round Knockout In Philadelphia

By: Steven Galeano Hard-hitting prospect Shinard Bunch (15-1, 13 KOs) of Brooklyn, New York, recorded a first-round knockout over Diego Vicente Perez (13-13-1, 11 KOs) of Buenos Aires, Argentina Saturday night at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia. The card was promoted by RDR Promotions and streamed live on BXNG TV. The bout marked Bunch’s fifth fight of 2021 and he is set to return again next Saturday night in Myrtle Beach, SC. The bout lasted just 34 seconds as Bunch landed a hard jab to the body of Perez early in round one, scoring a knockdown. After Perez beat the count, Bunch quickly jumped on Perez and landed a crushing overhand right to floor Perez for a second time, prompting the referee to immediately stop the contest. Despite the ongoing pandemic, Bunch continues to maintain an incredible level of activity. The super lightweight prospect turned pro in April of 2019, yet has reeled off 17 fights in the span of just 25 months. Already, he's scheduled to fight again on May 15, his activity will eventually slow down but Bunch figures to see himself in significant fights very soon. At 21-years-old, Bunch continues to prove himself as a prospect to watch in the 140lb division, which is filled with a pool of talented rising contenders. In other action, 2020 U.S Olympic Trials bronze medalist, Rashiem Jefferson (6-0, 1 KO) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, scored a dominant six-round unanimous decision over tough veteran Diuhl Olguin (15-17-4, 10 KOs) of Jalisco, Mexico. Olguin tried to push the talented Jefferson, who proved to be elusive and put on an excellent display of boxing ability. Just 19-years-old, Jefferson is one of the best rising prospects in the featherweight division, already taking on tough competition during his first six outings. Scores were - 60-54, 60-54, 59-55, all for Jefferson. RDR Promotions returns to 2300 Arena on June 25. The post Shinard Bunch Scores First-Round Knockout In Philadelphia appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Shinard Bunch Scores First-Round Knockout In Philadelphia

By: Steven Galeano

Hard-hitting prospect Shinard Bunch (15-1, 13 KOs) of Brooklyn, New York, recorded a first-round knockout over Diego Vicente Perez (13-13-1, 11 KOs) of Buenos Aires, Argentina Saturday night at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia. The card was promoted by RDR Promotions and streamed live on BXNG TV.

The bout marked Bunch’s fifth fight of 2021 and he is set to return again next Saturday night in Myrtle Beach, SC.

The bout lasted just 34 seconds as Bunch landed a hard jab to the body of Perez early in round one, scoring a knockdown. After Perez beat the count, Bunch quickly jumped on Perez and landed a crushing overhand right to floor Perez for a second time, prompting the referee to immediately stop the contest.

Despite the ongoing pandemic, Bunch continues to maintain an incredible level of activity. The super lightweight prospect turned pro in April of 2019, yet has reeled off 17 fights in the span of just 25 months. Already, he's scheduled to fight again on May 15, his activity will eventually slow down but Bunch figures to see himself in significant fights very soon. At 21-years-old, Bunch continues to prove himself as a prospect to watch in the 140lb division, which is filled with a pool of talented rising contenders.

In other action, 2020 U.S Olympic Trials bronze medalist, Rashiem Jefferson (6-0, 1 KO) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, scored a dominant six-round unanimous decision over tough veteran Diuhl Olguin (15-17-4, 10 KOs) of Jalisco, Mexico. Olguin tried to push the talented Jefferson, who proved to be elusive and put on an excellent display of boxing ability. Just 19-years-old, Jefferson is one of the best rising prospects in the featherweight division, already taking on tough competition during his first six outings.

Scores were - 60-54, 60-54, 59-55, all for Jefferson.

RDR Promotions returns to 2300 Arena on June 25.

The post Shinard Bunch Scores First-Round Knockout In Philadelphia appeared first on BoxingInsider.com.

Source : Boxing Insider More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.