Roasted Chicken with Herbs – a tantalising taste sensation
Roasted to a perfect golden-brown, this tender, flavourful chicken is sure to impress your guests.
Golden, oven-roasted chicken on a Sunday afternoon certainly brings back childhood memories. This Roasted Chicken with Herbs is made with fresh seasonal herbs. Rosemary, mint, sage, parsley, basil, or whatever you have available will turn a roasted chicken into an aromatic taste sensation. Roasted to a perfect golden-brown, this tender, flavourful chicken is sure to impress your guests.
The trick to this recipe is to carefully part the skin on top of the chicken breast from the meat. Then, stuff the gap with fresh, delicate herbs. Next, add butter and you have an unbelievably succulent roasted chicken on the way. Although the cooking time is long, it takes only 15 minutes to prepare the chicken before popping it into the oven to roast to a delicious meal.
Serve Roasted Chicken with Herbs with a hearty side dish or two, like roasted potatoes, mashed cauliflower, glazed carrots or green beans.
Roasted Chicken with HerbsCourse: DinnerCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Moderate
1 large whole chicken
2 red onions, halved
1 garlic knob
bunch of fresh herbs: rosemary, mint, sage, parsley and basil (any herbs in season)
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC / 425ºF.
- Halve the garlic knob and pile with the onions in the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Chop the soft herbs finely, drizzle with olive oil and the juice of half of the lemon.
- Rub inside the chicken cavity with sea salt. Then, carefully grab the skin at the tip of the chicken breasts (just make sure that it does not rip) and pull up gently. With your other hand gently separate the skin from the meat of the breast. Add a little salt down the gaps that you have made and push in most of the chopped herbs and lumps of butter.
- Add stuffing (optional) by pushing it in the cavity along with the lemon. Or, just push the lemon halves into the cavity along with the bay and rosemary sprigs. Then, pull the skin of the chicken breast forward so that the flesh is no longer exposed.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the chicken.
- Rub a little oil all over the chicken skin.
- Season very generously with salt and black pepper.
- Put the chicken on the oven tray and place it in the preheated oven. Cook for about 2 hours.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tantalising recipes that will set your taste buds alive? Have a look at our recipe page for great suggestions.