Ship anchored off Vancouver Island stops burning — but stormy seas prevent 40 fallen containers from being recovered yet

VICTORIA—A container ship that lost 40 containers overboard in stormy weather then caught fire is no longer ablaze, according to the company that charters the vessel.Now, Canadian and U.S. agencies are working together to recover the containers, two of which are reported to contain hazardous material. All of them could pose a risk to vessels in the area, in the event they collide.In a statement, ZIM Integrated Shipping Services said that firefighting tugboats were still working on the ZIM Kingston on Monday morning, but that their job now is to prevent further fires from flaring up. The flames that previously engulfed at least two containers on the ship have been extinguished, the company said.Clean up surrounding the ZIM Kingston is far from over, however, as the ship lost “dozens” of containers overboard near the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which lies between Vancouver Island and the western part of Washington State before the ship anchored eight kilometres off the shore of Victoria and caught fire.“An incident command post led by the Canadian Coast Guard on behalf of the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia, and First Nations representatives (has been established) to manage and co-ordinate this multi-agency response,” reads a statement from the U.S. Coast Guard. Inclement weather Friday — namely huge swells that tilted the ship 35 degrees — was the cause of the container falls, the coast guard statement said. A flyover by the American agency located 35 of the containers that morning, and they are now being monitored by U.S. and Canadian authorities. The ZIM Kingston sought refuge off Victoria rather than carrying on to its final destination, Vancouver. A total of 16 crew members were rescued from the ship.As heavy winds — and an impending “bomb cyclone” — continued to threaten the area, a recovery operation for the containers was not expected to take place until the weather calms. In an update Monday morning, the Canadian Coast Guard posted to Twitter that salvage crews were spraying water on the hull and containers to cool them down as containers continued to “smoulder” but not burn. Alex McKeen is a Vancouver-based reporter for the Star. Follow her on Twitter: @alex_mckeen

Ship anchored off Vancouver Island stops burning — but stormy seas prevent 40 fallen containers from being recovered yet

VICTORIA—A container ship that lost 40 containers overboard in stormy weather then caught fire is no longer ablaze, according to the company that charters the vessel.

Now, Canadian and U.S. agencies are working together to recover the containers, two of which are reported to contain hazardous material. All of them could pose a risk to vessels in the area, in the event they collide.

In a statement, ZIM Integrated Shipping Services said that firefighting tugboats were still working on the ZIM Kingston on Monday morning, but that their job now is to prevent further fires from flaring up. The flames that previously engulfed at least two containers on the ship have been extinguished, the company said.

Clean up surrounding the ZIM Kingston is far from over, however, as the ship lost “dozens” of containers overboard near the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which lies between Vancouver Island and the western part of Washington State before the ship anchored eight kilometres off the shore of Victoria and caught fire.

“An incident command post led by the Canadian Coast Guard on behalf of the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia, and First Nations representatives (has been established) to manage and co-ordinate this multi-agency response,” reads a statement from the U.S. Coast Guard.

Inclement weather Friday — namely huge swells that tilted the ship 35 degrees — was the cause of the container falls, the coast guard statement said. A flyover by the American agency located 35 of the containers that morning, and they are now being monitored by U.S. and Canadian authorities. The ZIM Kingston sought refuge off Victoria rather than carrying on to its final destination, Vancouver. A total of 16 crew members were rescued from the ship.

As heavy winds — and an impending “bomb cyclone” — continued to threaten the area, a recovery operation for the containers was not expected to take place until the weather calms.

In an update Monday morning, the Canadian Coast Guard posted to Twitter that salvage crews were spraying water on the hull and containers to cool them down as containers continued to “smoulder” but not burn.

Alex McKeen is a Vancouver-based reporter for the Star. Follow her on Twitter: @alex_mckeen

Source : Toronto Star More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Raptors fans fuming after sources reveal Edward Rogers wanted to dump Masai Ujiri

In a Star exclusive, sources revealed that Edward Rogers actively fought against plans to keep Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri as head of the team, saying he wasn’t worth the price tag.This comes on the heels of the very public boardroom brawling at Rogers Communications Inc., one of the country’s largest telecom companies, that has spilled out into the public realm. The company now has two groups claiming to be in control after Edward Rogers was voted out as chairman of the board in a move supported by his mother and siblings. Over the weekend, Rogers says he was re-elected as board chair by a group of newly-selected board members. His sister, Martha Rogers, has been actively tweeting about the internal feuding and said, “this should be taken as seriously as if he appointed himself the King of England.” Behind the scenes during contract talks After weeks of negotiations with Ujiri that began in mid-July, both MLSE chair Larry Tanenbaum and Bell were on board with offering Ujiri a sweetened package that included incentive pay tied to a future increase in value of the Raptors — he had already added $500 million in value to the franchise since his arrival in 2013, taken the team to the playoffs in every year prior to the pandemic and won the NBA championship in 2019.Several sources told the Star that some time after a meeting with Ujiri, Rogers called Ujiri and told him he wasn’t worth the money he was being paid. The NBA source said the call left Ujiri feeling so angry and disrespected by Rogers that he considered taking a year off as president of the Raptors.Sources also revealed Rogers called Ujiri arrogant, saying he failed to share his vision for the team.To the relief of Toronto fans in a city that the Raptors president and vice-chairman calls “home,” the team announced on Aug. 5 that Ujiri was staying on as head of basketball operations for the Raptors.The Raptors play at home Monday night against former teammate Demar DeRozan and the Chicago Bulls, with fans on Twitter already co-ordinating ‘f--k Ed Rogers’ chants ahead of tipoff. Here’s what people are saying about the Star’s exclusive:One user referenced Edward Rogers’ recent rise in notoriety “from obscurity to the most hated man in Toronto.”Another user said not recognizing the true value of Ujiri was “the most Ed Rogers thing ever.”Canadian actor Tara Spencer-Narin expressed her criticism of Rogers and said, “Masai is worth every penny.”One Twitter user shared a gif of someone typing on their laptop while chewing gum and tweeted, “Masai stan’s filling out Rogers online forms to cancel any and all subscriptions this morning.”Other Twitter users expressed disbelief that Masai decided to stay in the end, considering the opposition he faced despite winning a championship for the franchise and city. Some Twitter users are questioning the evaluation of Masai’s “worth,” asking if whether the same conversation would have taken place were he not a person of colour. With files from Christine Dobby and Doug Smith.Simran Singh is a reporter for the Star's radio room based in Toronto. Reach Simran via email: simransingh@thestar.caIvy Mak is a team editor on the Star's breaking news desk, based in Toronto. Reach her via email: ivymak@thestar.ca

Raptors fans fuming after sources reveal Edward Rogers wanted to dump Masai Ujiri

In a Star exclusive, sources revealed that Edward Rogers actively fought against plans to keep Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri as head of the team, saying he wasn’t worth the price tag.

This comes on the heels of the very public boardroom brawling at Rogers Communications Inc., one of the country’s largest telecom companies, that has spilled out into the public realm.

The company now has two groups claiming to be in control after Edward Rogers was voted out as chairman of the board in a move supported by his mother and siblings. Over the weekend, Rogers says he was re-elected as board chair by a group of newly-selected board members. His sister, Martha Rogers, has been actively tweeting about the internal feuding and said, “this should be taken as seriously as if he appointed himself the King of England.”

Behind the scenes during contract talks

After weeks of negotiations with Ujiri that began in mid-July, both MLSE chair Larry Tanenbaum and Bell were on board with offering Ujiri a sweetened package that included incentive pay tied to a future increase in value of the Raptors — he had already added $500 million in value to the franchise since his arrival in 2013, taken the team to the playoffs in every year prior to the pandemic and won the NBA championship in 2019.

Several sources told the Star that some time after a meeting with Ujiri, Rogers called Ujiri and told him he wasn’t worth the money he was being paid. The NBA source said the call left Ujiri feeling so angry and disrespected by Rogers that he considered taking a year off as president of the Raptors.

Sources also revealed Rogers called Ujiri arrogant, saying he failed to share his vision for the team.

To the relief of Toronto fans in a city that the Raptors president and vice-chairman calls “home,” the team announced on Aug. 5 that Ujiri was staying on as head of basketball operations for the Raptors.

The Raptors play at home Monday night against former teammate Demar DeRozan and the Chicago Bulls, with fans on Twitter already co-ordinating ‘f--k Ed Rogers’ chants ahead of tipoff.

Here’s what people are saying about the Star’s exclusive:

One user referenced Edward Rogers’ recent rise in notoriety “from obscurity to the most hated man in Toronto.”

Another user said not recognizing the true value of Ujiri was “the most Ed Rogers thing ever.”

Canadian actor Tara Spencer-Narin expressed her criticism of Rogers and said, “Masai is worth every penny.”

One Twitter user shared a gif of someone typing on their laptop while chewing gum and tweeted, “Masai stan’s filling out Rogers online forms to cancel any and all subscriptions this morning.”

Other Twitter users expressed disbelief that Masai decided to stay in the end, considering the opposition he faced despite winning a championship for the franchise and city.

Some Twitter users are questioning the evaluation of Masai’s “worth,” asking if whether the same conversation would have taken place were he not a person of colour.

With files from Christine Dobby and Doug Smith.

Simran Singh is a reporter for the Star's radio room based in Toronto. Reach Simran via email: simransingh@thestar.ca

Ivy Mak is a team editor on the Star's breaking news desk, based in Toronto. Reach her via email: ivymak@thestar.ca

Source : Toronto Star More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.