S’mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake
A rich, satisfying chocolate cake in just 5 minutes? You can do it, with this S’mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake recipe. This eggless mug cake, topped with gooey toasted marshmallow is so easy, it can be made right in the mug. Gooey from chocolate chips, marshmallow and a moist, fluffy cake, this gooey chocolate mug... Read More The post S’mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake appeared first on Sugar Salt Magic.
A rich, satisfying chocolate cake in just 5 minutes? You can do it, with this S’mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake recipe. This eggless mug cake, topped with gooey toasted marshmallow is so easy, it can be made right in the mug.
Gooey from chocolate chips, marshmallow and a moist, fluffy cake, this gooey chocolate mug cake is dangerously addictive and even more dangerously easy.
I mean, what can be simpler than mixing a few ingredients together in a mug, topping it with marshmallow and then nuking it in the microwave for 70 seconds? Answer = nothing!!
This is one of those desserts you make when you want something more than candy but can’t be bothered baking. It’s takes all of 5 minutes from start to finish and is a single serve recipe so you don’t need to worry about leftovers.
My microwave is generally reserved for defrosting, reheating, heating plates and as an oversized kitchen timer. It works a treat for all those things, but I never use it to cook anything ….. except fluffy mug cakes.
Perfect fluffy mug cake
Mug cake recipes can be hit and miss. Some are over-simplified and the flavour just isn’t there. Others end up with a chewy or rubbery texture or are dry and just not at all appetising.
Not this one. This mug cake is rich in chocolate flavour, has a soft, fluffy texture and is incredibly moist. It’s also super easy to make. So easy, in fact, you can make it right in the mug if you like and save further washing up.
While some call for egg, I make this mug cake without egg and you can even swap the milk for a non-dairy variety making it perfect if you have dietary restrictions or preferences.
How long to cook mug cake
The length of cooking time required to cook your mug cake will depend on the power of your microwave and how many you’re cooking at once. In my microwave (1000W), this mug cake takes exactly 70 seconds every time for a single mug on high. A little longer for 2 or more.
How to make mug cake
- Mix together wet ingredients and sugar with a whisk so they’re full combined.
- Add the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips. Mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Add a marshmallow, cookies and more chocolate chips.
- Cook for 70 seconds (varies depending on your microwave)
Tips for making perfect chocolate mug cake
- Make sure your mug is microwave safe – some get very hot in the microwave
- Use a fork and scrape right around into the corners of the mug when mixing so everything is combined.
- All microwaves vary – mine is 1000W and it takes exactly 70 seconds on high for 1 mug cake
- Cooking more than one at a time will require a longer cooking time.
- If doing a batch, It will be quicker to mix it in a bowl first, then divide into cups.
Variations and substitutions
- Milk – I found regular dairy full fat milk to give the best flavour but you can swap it for reduced fat milk or even non-dairy milks if you prefer.
- Dark brown sugar – swap it for light brown sugar or even white sugar. You can also use monk fruit sweetener for a healthier version
- Cocoa – I like dutch processed cocoa for it’s dark colour and smooth flavour but regular unsweetened cocoa will work fine.
- Choc chips – use white, milk or dark chocolate chips or even swap them out for nuts.
More recipes you’ll love
- Fudgy Marshmallow Brownies
- Homemade Raspberry Marshmallow Slice
- Caramel Chocolate Marshmallow Cookie Bars
- One Bowl Chocolate Freckle Cake
- Quick Chocolate Bread (Chocolate Loaf Cake)
- Black Magic Cake
- Dark Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Get recipes straight to your inbox PLUS a free ebook.
S'mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk (full fat) (notes) (50ml)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (notes) (30ml)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (notes)
- 3 tablespoons flour (notes)
- 3 teaspoons dutch processed cocoa (notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 heaped teaspoon chocolate chips
- 1/2 large marshmallow
- 1/2 cookie (graham / digestive), crumbled
- Add the milk, oil and sugar to a wide mouth mug and mix well with a fork.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and most of the chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
- Drop the half marshmallow on top, then scatter over crumbled cookies and the remaining chocolate chips.
- Cook on high for 70 seconds, then let it sit for a minute.
- Optional: Toast the marshmallow with a kitchen blow torch or add some ice cream before serving.
- I use a standard Australian tablespoon which is 20ml or equal to 4 teaspoons worldwide.
- Cocoa - I like dutch processed cocoa for it's dark colour and smooth flavour but regular unsweetened cocoa will work fine.
This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission for my referral, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Salt Magic.
Have you tried this recipe?
Rate or comment below
The post S’mores Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake appeared first on Sugar Salt Magic.