South Africa: Today’s latest news and headlines, Monday 11 May
Back to school or not? It remains to be seen whether principals and school management teams will heed the call by Sadtu to stay at home today.
Stay up to date with the latest news in South Africa; review the biggest headlines making waves across the country on Monday 11 May.
Today marks two months since the coronavirus was declared a pandemic with many European countries easing their lockdown restrictions, venturing into the “great” outdoors with caution.
However, after a week of Level 4 lockdown, South Africa has breached the dreaded 10 000-mark of confirmed COVID-19 infection on Sunday.
Today’s latest news in South Africa, Monday 11 May
Latest COVID-19 update
The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa has topped 10 000, including 194 fatalities, Health Minister Zwelini Mkhize announced on Sunday evening.
The death toll of 194 is an increase of eight on the previous day’s figure. Among those infected, 4 173 (or 42%) are considered to have recovered from the virus.
“As of today, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa is 10 015,” the minister said in his daily update, expressing concern at the Western Cape and Eastern Cape combined comprising 84% of the total new cases.
The Eastern Cape’s trajectory could soon see it overtake KwaZulu-Natal as the province with the third-largest number of infections, behind the Western Cape and Gauteng.
Currently, South Africa is the worst-hit country in sub-Saharan Africa with 5 168 infections and 98 deaths in the Western Cape, which is the epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic in the country.
The release of the latest figures comes amid reports that the government has admitted to holding back information from the public on the COVID-19 pandemic, saying it is doing so to avoid panic.
You can view the latest provincial breakdown here.
Provincial education departments questions readiness
School management teams (SMT) are expected to report for duty at schools across the country on Monday 11 May to prepare for the proposed return of grade 7 and 12 pupils on 1 June.
The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) has urged its members not to report for duty, fearing that the Department of Basic Education has not taken all the necessary precautions and preparations to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This was echoed by the Limpopo and Western Cape education departments, urging principals and school management teams not to report for duty.
According to Limpopo Education Department spokesperson Tidimalo Chuene they are still awaiting the delivery of school readiness materials, such as sanitisers, masks, visors, detergents and infrared thermometers.
The Basic Education Department said it had been made aware that not all provinces were ready to return on Monday.
Apply via e-mail for R350-per-month unemployment grant
The regulations about the temporary COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress Grant have been gazetted on Saturday 9 May with some six million people expected to qualify for the grant.
The e-mail application channel for the temporary R350-per-month unemployment grant is officially open as from Monday 11 May.
According to the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa), applications will also be received via WhatsApp and SMS, and field workers will help those without access to technology.
Read here to see who can apply.
Lindiwe Sisulu given 24-hour deadline
The Democratic Alliance (DA) has given Water and Sanitation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu a day to respond to claims about irregularities regarding deals entered into by her department and contractors.
Sisulu is accused of overseeing the employment of 19 staffers in the National Rapid Response Task Team (NRRTT), seven of which were apparently hired without submitting resumes. This is said to have been an attempt at aiding her own presidential ambitions by gathering a “political war room” at taxpayers expense.
The DA has urged her to clarify the current status of the employment contracts of these members. The clock is ticking…
Safa appoints new acting CEO
The South African Football Association (Safa) have appointed Advocate Tebogo Motlanthe as acting chief executive officer replacing the outgoing Gay Mokoena.
Motlanthe takes up the position with immediate effect following the resignation of Mokoena in April.
Mokoena stepped down after he was placed on suspension by the Safa executive. He has delivered some scathing criticism of the footballing authority, accusing president Danny Jordaan of the abuse of power.
Despite his resignation as CEO, Mokoena remains a member of the executive and has challenged his suspension from the position of Safa vice-president.
Latest weather forecast, Monday 11 May
Take a look at weather forecasts for all nine provinces here.
Live traffic updates for Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban
Stay one step ahead of the traffic by viewing our live traffic updates here.
Free daily horoscope, celeb gossip and lucky numbers for Monday 11 May.