Renault is pushing for Racing Point to lose every single Constructors' championship point scored in a race in which the team's controversial brake ducts were protested.
In the FIA case involving the design of Racing Point's brake ducts which the governing body's stewards have said were copied from Mercedes 2019 car, the Silverstone-based team was fined €400,000 euros and docked 15 championship points.
But Renault, along with Ferrari, has appealed the verdict as it considers the judgement too lenient and is against Racing Point being allowed by the FIA to continue using the brake ducts on its car until the end of the 2020 season.
Consequently, Renault has protested and will continue to lodge a protest at every race in which Racing Point runs its disputed component.
But Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul believes its midfield rival should be simply excluded from the results of every race in which it is protested.
"We were expecting a consistent sanction with other sanctions that we’ve seen in the past," Abiteboul said on Friday in Barcelona.
"The most recent one we accepted last year after Suzuka, when we were found in breach of the sporting regulations, and not the technical regulations, and excluded from that event, therefore losing all our points.
"There was no discount for Renault. So I don’t know why there should be a discount for Racing Point.
"It should be all the points of the events that we’ve been protested."
Abiteboul argued that it was hard to understand how a team punished for using a component - the brake ducts - that breaches the technical regulations is allowed to continue using the element at every race.
"After every single event, Otmar [Szafnauer] will be called to the stewards, his brake ducts will be found similar to what they were and unchanged, and he will receive again a reprimand," Abiteboul said.
"We are facing again a prospect of what, 10 races, where his cars will be reprimanded. It’s a bit of a strange situation.
"We’d like to have also a bit more clarity about that, not necessarily saying they should be excluded for the season.
"But from a communication standpoint to the fans, to the public, explaining why a car is still somewhat in breach because it will receive a reprimand, but it’s OK to be part of the championship and therefore be eligible for points, we think it’s a bit awkward.
"We’d like also some closure about that if possible."
Standing on other side of the legal bench, Racing Point has also appealed the FIA's verdict, insisting it was confident of winning its case at the end of the day.
"We’ve appealed the decision based on what the stewards had written in their findings, and the findings are pretty clear that we didn’t do anything underhand or dishonest," commented Racing Point team boss Otmar Szafnauer.
"We were completely transparent and open with the FIA throughout their process of checking both our brake ducts and the remainder of our car.
"They concluded that the rule, especially for brake ducts transitioning from a non-listed part to a listed part were ambiguous and unclear.
"Because of it, we believe our punishment for an unclear and ambiguous rule that we didn’t intentionally contravene is a bit harsh.
"It’s the reason we’re appealing, and we’re very confident we’ll win on the appeal."
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and
The post Renault ups the ante, wants Racing Point to lose all points! appeared first on F1i.com.