Springboks to avoid UK quarantine with France stop-over

The Springboks will spend 11 days in France in October to avoid quarantine before three end of year Tests in the United Kingdom.

Springboks to avoid UK quarantine with France stop-over

The Springboks will spend 11 days in France in October to avoid quarantine before three Tests in the United Kingdom, the organisers of the 2023 Rugby World Cup said on Thursday.

READ | FORMER ALL BLACKS COACH NAMES FIVE SPRINGBOKS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR TEST RUGBY

The 2019 Rugby World Cup-winning Springboks head to Wales on November 6, Scotland seven days later and England on November 20 and would have had to isolate for 10 days on arrival if they had travelled directly as South Africa is on the British government’s ‘red list’ of countries.

EXPLAINER | WHAT THE SPRINGBOKS NEED TO DO TO REGAIN THE NO 1 RANKING

The Springboks will take part in events and press conferences between October 20-31 to promote the tournament.

“We have made an agreement with the (South African) federation to be able to benefit from the presence of the team and players to do some promotion for the 2023 Rugby World Cup,” the tournament’s director Claude Atcher told AFP.

READ | LATEST ODDS: BOOKIES GIVE SPRINGBOKS NO CHANCE AGAINST ALL BLACKS

An element of the Springboks involvement will include activities surround the World Cup’s “political idea of social and environmental responsibility,” Atcher added.

Siya Kolisi became South Africa’s first black Test captain in 2018 and led his country to the Webb Ellis Cup a year later.

READ | JACQUES NIENABER READS THE SOUTH AFRICAN – BUT STILL GETS IT WRONG!

On Thursday, French second-tier scrumhalf Ludovic Radosavljevic was banned for 26 weeks for calling an opponent a ‘banana eater’.

Last week, Lyon’s France prop Demba Bamba suffered racist abuse on social media after an away defeat to Pau.

READ | BOB SKINSTAD BACKS DUANE VERMEULEN TO SHINE AT ULSTER

“What is currently happening has unfortunately proved that we’re not safe (from racism) and we had to address the issue to say that it’s totally inacceptbale and inappropriate in our sport,” Atcher said.

The Springboks face New Zealand in the 100th Test between the sides on Saturday before their last Test in this year’s Rugby Championship the following Saturday also against the All Blacks.

The final nine fixtures of the 12-match tournament, which also includes the Wallabies and Argentina, were moved to Australia due to Covid-19 travel issues.

READ | WALLABIES FLYER AND NOT CHESLINE KOLBE THE BEST WING IN THE WORLD?

Source : The South African More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

‘Level 1, without delay’: Ramaphosa told to reopen SA swiftly…

Regional government officials have also asked for South Africa to scrap its State of Disaster laws, once 'a fast move to Level 1' has been confirmed.

‘Level 1, without delay’: Ramaphosa told to reopen SA swiftly…

The Western Cape Government is piling the pressure on President Cyril Ramaphosa and his ANC Cabinet. The DA-run province is desperate to move to Level 1 restrictions as soon as possible, citing a positive public response to vaccination, and the region’s plummeting COVID-19 numbers.

‘Level 1, then no more lockdowns’ – Western Cape Govt

What is more, Western Cape officials are adamant that lockdowns must now be viewed as ‘a thing of the past’. In an emailed communication sent out on Thursday, a government representative said that the presence of vaccines should enable a swift transition towards freedom, allowing Mzansi to eventually ditch its State of Disaster laws.

“We support calls for the Western Cape to move to Alert Level 1 without delay. The Premier has indicated that by December, the province aims to have fully vaccinated 70% of residents 50 years and older, and provide at least a single dose to 70% of residents aged 18-49.  If we can do this, the Western Cape will be well on track to open safely”

Ramaphosa ‘under pressure’ to ease restrictions

DA Western Cape Spokesperson on Health, Wendy Philander, also made it clear that lockdowns must only serve ‘to prepare health platforms for a surge’. High vaccine uptake significantly reduces pressure on hospitals, and in her view, an imminent move to Level 1 should be supported by an exit from SA’s State of Disaster next month:

“Vaccines are our best defence against Covid-19 and offer the clearest path to a more sustainable, safe world for us all. We need to remember that the main purpose of lockdowns is to prepare health platforms for a surge in demand.”

“We’ve experienced surges, and with each successive wave, the Western Cape remains on track in its efforts to contain the spread and increase the vaccine rollout. We no longer need National Government to use the State of Disaster to issue regulations, especially when our province is well-equipped to manage the pandemic.”

Source : The South African More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.