Steiner 'not involved in anything concrete' on US drivers

Efforts to bring fresh American racing talent into Formula 1 are continuing, but Haas F1 team principal Guenther... The post Steiner 'not involved in anything concrete' on US drivers appeared first on F1i.com.

Steiner 'not involved in anything concrete' on US drivers

Efforts to bring fresh American racing talent into Formula 1 are continuing, but Haas F1 team principal Guenther Steiner says at the moment he's not involved in anything concrete and that it's not currently a major focus for him.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said last week that the sport was in discussions with all teams about how to promote US drivers into the Grand Prix paddock now that a new event in Miami has received the go-ahead

The Haas team is the only official US-based squad on the F1 grid, but this year opted for rookie drivers from Germany and Russia to take over from Roman Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen.

IndyCar sensation Colton Herta is very much on the radar for F1 team managers. Last month the 21-year-old Andretti Autosport driver claimed his fourth win in the US open wheel series and admitted he would be interested in racing for Haas if it came with Ferrari backing.

Former F1 world champion Mario Andretti said America would go 'crazy' if an American driver made it into F1, while Lance Stroll picked out Herta was a leading contender.

“If I have to name a guy I say Colton Herta, I think he is someone who could do well here," the Aston Martin driver said.

For his part, Steiner insisted that his squad is still keen to find some home-grown American drivers in the future but said it wasn't a priority..

“I think there are always talks going on because there’s a big opportunity in the United States for Formula 1, as we all know," Steiner told RACER magazine this week.

©IndyCar

"For sure for the near future if something gets done that would be very good for Formula 1, and for Formula 1 in the US.”

“But I was not involved in anything too concrete," he added. “We are not trying to do that at the moment."

Steiner already has his hands full with one of his new drivers, with Nikita Mazepin proving adept at stirring controversies on and off the track.

But the team boss was this week still staunchly defending the 22-year-old Muscovite from attacks from critics after finishing last in the most recent race in Barcelona and receiving a penalty for impeding Lando Norris in qualifying.

Nikita Mazepin (RUS) Haas F1 Team on the grid. 09.05.2021. Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 4, Spanish Grand Prix

"It was another tough day for him result-wise but what was good was he did the laps," Steiner pointed out. "He didn’t do anything to compromise that, and that will make him learn. At some stage he will come to be real.

“I don’t want to speak in terms of convincing them, time will tell and you need to give people time," he commented. "You’ve always got more naysayers than yaysayers.

"I’ve actually no interest in justifying it to them, because then it’s a never-ending story and there will always be an answer to things.

"I am always a big believer in these things," he added. "You need to keep your head down, it’s not how you get down but how you get up. He just needs some time.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Steiner 'not involved in anything concrete' on US drivers appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Austria to host double-header as F1 scraps Turkish GP

Formula 1 has made a final call on the fate of the Turkish GP, cancelling the June 13... The post Austria to host double-header as F1 scraps Turkish GP appeared first on F1i.com.

Austria to host double-header as F1 scraps Turkish GP

Formula 1 has made a final call on the fate of the Turkish GP, cancelling the June 13 event and adding a second round of racing at the Red Bull Ring in Austria on June 27.

The writing was on the wall for the race at Istanbul Park, a slot-in event for the Covid-19 cancelled Canadian GP, after Turkey was placed on the UK's 'red list' of countries on which stringent travel restrictions and quarantine measures have been imposed.

A majority of F1 personnel traveling back to the UK from Turkey after the event in Istanbul would have been forced to comply with the mandatory 10-day quarantine in government-approved hotels imposed by the British government.

The impracticality of the measures initially encouraged F1 to seek a date swap with the Azerbaijan GP, but Baku's organisers could not fulfill that request due to the city hosting a match of the UEFA Euro 2020 football competition on June 12.

Consequently, F1 has scrapped the Turkish GP altogether and transformed Austria into a double header – the Styrian GP and the Austrian GP - with the respective races taking place on June 27 and July 4.

Subsequently, the French GP at Paul Ricard, initially earmarked for June 27, has been brought forward to June 20.

"We were all looking forward to racing in Turkey but the travel restrictions in place have meant we are not able to be there in June," said F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali.

"Formula 1 has shown again that it is able to react quickly to developments and find solutions and we are delighted that we will have a double header in Austria meaning our season remains at 23 races.

"I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm in accommodating this solution.

"We have had very good conversations will all the other promoters since the start of the year and continue to work closely with them during this period."

All may not be lost for Turkey as the event's promoters have requested to be considered for a later date in 2021.

French GP boss Eric Boullier apologized to race fans for any inconvenience caused by the date change, but the former McLaren team boss ensured fans that he would deliver "the best event possible".

"This change of date has not weakened our passion and our raisin d'être: to offer our public the best event possible," he said.

"We understand that this modification has an impact on the attendance of our spectators and partners and we are apologize about this. Our teams are already actively working to ensure that the rest of our event programme remains unchanged."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via and

The post Austria to host double-header as F1 scraps Turkish GP appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.