Sticky barbeque wings – Finger-licking delicious starter
Enjoy a mouth-watering starter that will tempt you to lick your plate afterwards.
Start a delightful evening the right way with these tasty sticky barbeque wings. They are the perfect starter or finger food to enjoy at a family or friend gathering.
The secret to getting your sticky barbeque wings irresistible is definitely in the barbeque sauce. This recipe reveals it all and will guide you to get your sauce as delicious as the one you can get in any restaurant.
First, you need to brown the wings in a griddle on the stovetop before popping them into the oven to bake for 35 to 40 minutes. While these goodies are baking in the oven, you can start preparing the mouth-watering barbeque sauce.
The sauce contains quite a number of ingredients but comes together in only a few minutes. After the chicken wings have been baked for about 40 minutes in the oven, baste them in the luxurious barbeque sauce and bake for another 5 minutes.
And finally, your delicious appetiser is ready to be served! Serve immediately with extra sauce on the side.
Sticky barbeque wings recipeCourse: StarterCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
1.5 kg wings, drumettes and flats separated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Barbeque sauce
1½ cups brown sugar
1¼ cups ketchup
1½ tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground mustard
1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1½ teaspoons sea salt
1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°C.
- Fit the griddle attachment on the stovetop, and heat over medium heat. Toss the wings in the olive oil, getting them nicely coated, then season with salt.
- Working in batches, brown both sides of the wings, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the wings to a baking tray lined with a rack, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy and cooked through.
- While the wings are baking, combine all of the ingredients for the barbeque sauce in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and allow to simmer for 5 – 6 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Set aside.
- After about 40 minutes, baste both sides of the wings with barbeque sauce, and continue baking another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with extra sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tasty recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.