Sydneysiders should 'strongly consider' any vaccine, says ATAGI

Anyone aged 18 or over in Greater Sydney "should strongly consider getting vaccinated with any available vaccine", including AstraZeneca.

Sydneysiders should 'strongly consider' any vaccine, says ATAGI

Anyone aged 18 or over in Greater Sydney "should strongly consider getting vaccinated with any available vaccine", including AstraZeneca, to protect themselves against coronavirus, the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) has recommended in response to the COVID-19 outbreak in New South Wales.

The advice comes after NSW recorded 163 local cases of COVID-19, which is a new daily record for the state.

READ MORE:

Of those, 66 were household contacts and 45 were infectious in the community.

ATAGI has previously recommended Pfizer as the vaccine of choice for anyone under 60 years of age because of the extremely small risk of a blood clot disorder which is more likely to occur in younger people.

However, today's statement is a change in direction in response to the growing crisis in Sydney.

"All individuals aged 18 years and above in greater Sydney, including adults under 60 years of age, should strongly consider getting vaccinated with any available vaccine, including COVID-19 vaccine AstraZeneca," ATAGI said in a statement.

"This is on the basis of the increasing risk of COVID-19 and ongoing constraints of Comirnaty (Pfizer) supplies.

READ MORE:

"In addition, people in areas where outbreaks are occurring can receive the second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine four to eight weeks after the first dose, rather than the usual 12 weeks, to bring forward optimal protection."

ATAGI has also reaffirmed its previous advice that in a large outbreak, the benefits of the COVID-19 vaccine AstraZeneca are greater than the risk of rare side effects for all age groups.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Concerns for two Melbourne apartment blocks as exposure list grows

All residents at two inner Melbourne apartment blocks have been sent into isolation after positive cases were there over several days last week.

Concerns for two Melbourne apartment blocks as exposure list grows

All residents at two inner Melbourne apartment blocks have been sent into isolation after positive cases were there over several days last week.

Anyone who was at the H Hawthorn apartment complex on 147 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn, at any time last Thursday, July 22, is being directed to get tested and isolate after it was deemed a Tier Two exposure site.

READ MORE:

It comes after the LaCrosse Building in Docklands was deemed a Tier One exposure site yesterday after a positive case spent eight consecutive days there up until Friday.

All residents there have now been sent into 14-day isolation.

All of the building's common areas are being deep-cleaned.

"Residents have all been advised that due to a case of COVID-19 in the Lacrosse building at 673 Latrobe Street Docklands they are required to isolate immediately until further notice," Victoria Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton said yesterday.

"Residents will be contacted throughout the day to give them a time to attend a pop-up testing clinic being set up for the residents of the building."

Someone infectious with COVID-19 also visited a Fitzroy grocery store on Friday July 16, prompting a Tier Two health alert.

Anyone who was at the Morning Market on 59 Gertrude Street that day between 12.50pm and 1.30pm is being told to get tested for COVID-19 immediately and isolate until receiving a negative result.

Yesterday, an Italian restaurant in Fitzroy was also added as a Tier 2 exposure site.

An infectious person visited Cappo Sociale at 127 Brunswick Street on Thursday, July 15 from 6.35pm to 9.15pm.

Anybody who attended during the period must isolate until they receive a negative test.

The full list of exposure sites is now over 400 strong.

READ MORE:

A string of supermarkets and a Bunnings Warehouse are also among the list venues of concern.

Bunnings Carrum Downs has been listed as a Tier Two site for July 18 between 9.45am and 10.25am, with everyone who attended required to get tested for COVID-19.

Supermarkets in Malvern may have also been exposed to COVID-19, including Woolworths Malvern Central Shopping Centre on July 18 between 10.20am and 10.50am, and Coles Malvern on Glenferrie Road on the same day between 9.40am and 10.30am.

A positive case also attended 7-Eleven Chadstone on Waverley Road on July 17 between 7.50am and 8.25am.

There are also concerns for passengers on tram route 86 in Melbourne's CBD after an infected Ms Frankie's staff member took a tram to get tested on July 21, between 3pm and 4pm.

Victoria's COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar implored anyone who was on the tram to get tested immediately.

The exposure site is yet to be published on the Department of Health website.

"Anybody who was on tram route 86 in the CBD on 21 July, between 3pm and 4pm, please come forward for testing," he said.

"There are two short tram trips made to the CBD. There will be details later on our website, we're just nailing the exact details of the journey.

"We're very keen to make sure that the other half a dozen passengers come forward and get tested immediately."

More than 950 close contacts of the Prahran Market in South Yarra have been thrown into quarantine after the market was yesterday listed as a Tier One exposure site for Saturday July 17, between 9.40am and 11.15am.

Coffee Shop, Market Lane Coffee, located inside the market, has also been singled out as an exposure site between 10.30am and 11am on the same day.

The Prahran Market revealed the news on Facebook on Wednesday night.

"DHHS advises us that the customer visited a number of traders including Pete n Rosie's Deli, Q le Baker, Prahran Seafoods, John Cester's Poultry and Game, Gary's Quality Meats, Reliable Fruit and Veg and Market Lane Coffee," the post read.

"Due to the broad geographic spread of the traders, DHHS has taken the step of classifying the whole of Prahran Market as a Tier 1 exposure site."

All staff and customers who attended the market during the exposure period will be tested and be required to quarantine for 14 days.

The market was closed yesterday for deep cleaning and will reopen when it is safe to do so.

"We are devastated by this news and our thoughts and well wishes are with all of our traders, customers and the Market community as a whole."

READ MORE:

A number of other Coles supermarkets have also been listed as exposure sites of concern, including the Roxburgh Park store at Roxburgh Village on July 14 between 5.30pm and 6.30pm, the Bentleigh store on July 15 between 6.15am and 6.45am and July 16 between 6.20am and 6.45am, and the Ardeer store in Sunshine West on July 14 between 9.20pm and 10.15pm.

The supermarkets are Tier Two sites meaning everyone who attended must get tested.

A new venue of concern has also surfaced in Mildura.

Solunar Cafe is the latest exposure site to emerge in the regional Victorian city, with anyone who attended on July 12 between 2.15pm and 2.30pm, required to quarantine for 14 days.

Other Tier One exposure sites include TK Maxx Craigieburn on July 15 between 3.15pm and 4.40pm, BWS Caulfield North on July 15 between 3.25pm and 3.50pm, Marcos IGA Narre Warren North on July 16 between 11.25am and 12.10pm, Sunbury Square Medical Centre on July 19 between 6pm and 8.30pm and New Star Nails in Roxburgh Village on July 14 between 4.10pm and 6pm.

READ MORE:

The number of site alerts has ballooned past 380.

The constantly evolving list of new COVID-19 exposure sites can be seen here in full on the Department of Health website.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.