Teen charged with murder of mum found in bin

A 17-year-old boy has been charged over the murder of a young mother who was taken to hospital in a wheelie bin.

Teen charged with murder of mum found in bin

A 17-year-old boy has been charged over the murder of a young mother who was taken to hospital in a wheelie bin.

Police will allege the teen critically injured 18-year-old Britney Watson, then put her body in a bin and wheeled it to Newman Hospital, in the town of Newman in Western Australia's Pilbara region, early yesterday morning.

"While there are no charges at present I can talk about, we're in a full-scale investigation," Mr Dawson told ABC radio on Thursday.

"It's a real tragedy in the sense that the community, the woman is known ... and there are a couple of kids involved."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Union dossier accuses Qantas of 'shocking disregard' for COVID-19

A dossier obtained by nine.com.au alleges a majority of Qantas workers claim the airline failed to keep them safe during the coronavirus pandemic, leaving 93 per cent of staff worried about going to work.

Union dossier accuses Qantas of 'shocking disregard' for COVID-19

Exclusive: A transport union dossier, obtained by nine.com.au, has claimed a majority of Qantas workers believe the airline failed to keep them safe during the coronavirus pandemic, leaving 93 per cent of staff worried about going to work.

The dossier accuses Qantas of putting cabin crew and employees at risk of catching COVID-19 because of a "shocking disregard" for the killer virus and alleged lax safety practices.

The 13-page dossier, and an accompanying Transport Workers Union (TWU) survey of 850 Qantas employees, was submitted to South Australia Health and SafeWork SA today.

Qantas vehemently rejected all the allegations, with the airline telling nine.com.au the TWU was "willfully misrepresenting the situation at Adelaide Airport to drive their own agenda".

"So many positive cases travelling on our Qantas aircrafts. Crew are notified eventually, meaning a week or more later," one Qantas employee is quoted in the dossier, which was compiled by the TWU after a cluster outbreak at Adelaide Airport.

"I was contacted by an office member who informed me I had a confirmed coronavirus case on board my flight, but that I was considered low risk. I was told not to isolate and that I could continue to fly, and was also told not to tell anyone," another claimed in the dossier.

"The government was telling us one thing and we were being told another by Qantas medical doctor. The government was clear on social distancing but we were told that as crew we had a very low chance of contracting the virus. It still doesn't make sense," alleged another employee in the report.

Tensions between the TWU and Australia's national carrier, which employs 30,000 Australians, have been running high in recent months.

In April, as detailed in investigation, a cluster outbreak bloomed among Qantas baggage handlers at Adelaide Airport. Thirty-four Qantas staff were infected, and 740 workers quarantined.

The dossier alleged Qantas delayed a deep-clean by almost three days of common areas of the Adelaide Airport baggage room after the first infection case was confirmed on March 28.

Qantas has refuted that claim, insisting full and comprehensive cleaning took place on March 28, 30 and 31, which SA Health had been fully briefed on.

Baggage handlers who had been exposed to the first infected worker over several days, involving close contact, were directed by managers to continue turning up for work, the TWU dossier claimed.

Are you affected? Do you know more? Contact: msaunoko@nine.com.au

The dossier comes as a national TWU survey of over 850 Qantas workers showed almost half of the workforce said they don't feel they can raise safety issues at work.

One Qantas employee is quoted in the document saying that "when staff complained about safety the manager said, 'it's only the flu anyway.'"

More than 80 per cent of Qantas employees said they do not believe the airline put adequate safety measures in place in response to COVID-19. Only two per cent of staff received one hour of COVID-19 safety training, according to the TWU survey.

The dossier claimed Qantas had relied on "generic health advice", telling employees to wash their hands properly and employ proper coughing etiquette to combat the spread of the virus.

"When it came to actually changing workplace practices to eliminate or minimise the risk of transmission, the airline failed to act," the dossier read.

Qantas planes parked on the tarmac.

Qantas was accused of running an unsophisticated response for employees right on the front line, inside planes, cleaning cabins and toilets, moving baggage, checking in passengers and transporting freight.

Nine.com.au understands that at least 60 people across the Qantas Group have been infected with the virus. Of the 740 quarantined Adelaide workers, 24 tested positive.

"We completely reject the findings of the union's survey," Qantas told nine.com.au in a statement.

The airline had a "strong safety culture" and acting on reports from employees was a key part of its safety management system, the statement said. There had been "extensive communications" with employees about how to remain safe, including briefings from in-house doctors and managers.

Qantas said the cleanliness of airport facilities "did not pose a health risk" to employees. All health precautions recommended by Australia's Chief Medical Officer had been followed to the letter, the airline said.

"As soon as we knew, we acted," Qantas said, referencing the Adelaide Airport cluster.

Qantas blamed a baggage handler for coming to work, despite showing symptoms, for triggering the cluster.

The airline said it notified all cabin crew as soon as health authorities confirmed as passenger had tested positive.

TWU National Secretary Michael Kaine told nine.com.au the dossier and survey pointed to serious failings by Qantas.

Mr Kaine is urging SA Health and SafeWork SA to "urgently" investigate claims raised in the dossier.

Qantas stood down 20,000 staff on March 19, after the coronavirus decimated the airline's domestic and international routes.

In a statement to the ASX, the airline predicted it would burn though $40 million a week until the end of June.

Are you affected? Do you know more? Contact: msaunoko@nine.com.au

FOLLOW:

For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the and set notifications to on at the or

You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the , and the .

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.