Top F1 drivers hope to return to 'old school' Mugello

Formula 1's top drivers gave a resounding thumbs up to the Mugello circuit, hoping the "old school" challenging... The post Top F1 drivers hope to return to 'old school' Mugello appeared first on F1i.com.

Top F1 drivers hope to return to 'old school' Mugello

Formula 1's top drivers gave a resounding thumbs up to the Mugello circuit, hoping the "old school" challenging venue finds a permanent spot on the sport's calendar in the future.

Mugello's stunning settings in the Tuscan countryside combined with its stirring layout of medium and high-speed corners was given a ringing endorsement by drivers and team members alike starting with Sunday's winner Lewis Hamilton.

"I personally love it, it was one of the toughest tracks to drive, I think being that it’s medium and high speed but it’s a fantastic circuit," said the Mercedes star.

"I think it’s more old-school with the run-off areas and the gravel so I hope they don’t change that and I would love to come back."

Hamilton's teammate Valtteri Bottas was equally enthusiastic about the picturesque venue.

"I think it’s great, I think it should be in the calendar every year."

Whether the Ferrari-owned circuit will reappear on F1's schedule in 2021 will likely depend on the world's return to a semblance of normalcy in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Read also: Ferrari 'in a hole' with no magic bullet - Camilleri

Formula 1 is hoping to put together a normal calendar next year which implies the return of races in Asia and on the American continent, a prospect that would likely complicate Mugello's perpetuation on Grand Prix racing's agenda.

Yet Charles Leclerc also hopes the "awesome" Tuscan Grand Prix returns.

"I actually really enjoyed this weekend and the track overall, so yes I would love to have it back on the normal calendar," said the Monegasque.

"Before the race, I was a bit sceptical about how much we could overtake on this track, but after the race, I have to say the overtakes, there have been quite a lot of overtakes.

"The track is awesome, so yes, I would love to be back."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via  and 

The post Top F1 drivers hope to return to 'old school' Mugello appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Verstappen declares 2020 championship bid 'over'

Max Verstappen has conceded that his championship ambitions for this season are "over", the Red Bull driver sitting... The post Verstappen declares 2020 championship bid 'over' appeared first on F1i.com.

Verstappen declares 2020 championship bid 'over'

Max Verstappen has conceded that his championship ambitions for this season are "over", the Red Bull driver sitting 80 points behind Lewis Hamilton in the Drivers' championship with eight races to go.

Verstappen, who won F1's 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone last month, suffered his third retirement of the season - his second in succession - last weekend at Mugello.

On Sunday, the Dutchman found himself once again on the receiving end of a Honda engine reliability issue although his demise from the Tuscan Grand Prix happened in the wake of a collision on the opening lap of the race, an incident brought about by a sudden loss of power at the start.

Oddly, Honda's power unit problems have so far only impacted Verstappen, a detail that puzzled Sky F1 commentator Martin Brundle.

"For the second consecutive Sunday, and the third time in nine races, Verstappen was having power unit problems which would almost certainly have led to retirement anyway, and he’s understandably not impressed," Brundle wrote in his post-race Sky Sports column.

"Strangely the same units in his team-mate Alex Albon’s car and the sister team of Alpha Tauri for Gasly and Daniil Kvyat seem more reliable."

A frustrated Verstappen admitted the consecutive failings at Monza and Mugello were "not normal".

"It seems that it was the same problem as last week in Monza," he told Ziggo Sport.

"The start was good, but when I went full throttle, I had that problem again. I could already feel it on the way to the grid.

"It is not normal for it to happen two races in a row. At the moment I’m sick of it. It doesn’t matter that much to me anymore."

For Verstappen, the most significant consequence of the consecutive DNFs is an end to his title hopes for 2020, but the 22-year-old is also downbeat on his prospects for 2021.

"I hope that we will be closer to Mercedes next year," he said. "I don’t think we will beat them.

"With corona you can’t change that much about the car. But I hope that there will be a new direction for us in 2022 with the new regulations.

"If you are so far away and you are also too slow, that won’t happen. We still want to win every weekend. But the championship is over."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via  and 

The post Verstappen declares 2020 championship bid 'over' appeared first on F1i.com.

Source : F1 i More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.