Two officers killed in truck crash farewelled today

Two Victorian police officers killed in the line of duty will be farewelled at funerals today.

Two officers killed in truck crash farewelled today

Two Victorian police officers killed in the line of duty will be farewelled at funerals today.

Constable Glen Humphris and Senior Constable Kevin King will be farewelled at separate services at the Police Academy in Glen Waverley at 10am and 1pm.

The two officers were killed along with colleagues Leading Senior Constable Lynette Taylor and Constable Josh Prestney when a truck crashed into them on the Eastern Freeway on April 22.

A funeral was held at the academy for Sen Const Taylor yesterday.

The service was followed by a minute's silence by Victoria Police members.

Const Humphris joined Victoria Police in 2019, shortly after moving to Melbourne with his partner of four years, Todd Robinson, who described him as "bubbly, outgoing and loving".

At the time of the accident, he was on placement as part of his probationary constable extended training.

Sen Const King, meanwhile, had been with Victoria Police for six years, and was described by his family as "a caring, considerate, gentle and kind-hearted person".

The 50-year-old is survived by his wife, Sharron Mackenzie and their three children William, James and Henry.

After the two officers' funerals, their colleagues will form a guard of honour at police stations across the state.

Police Minister Lisa Neville, Deputy Commissioner Wendy Steendam and the secretary of the police union Wayne Gatt will then lay a wreath at the Airlie Conference Centre, which was once a police training college.

Const Prestney will be farewelled at Xavier College, where he graduated in 2009, on Monday.

A major investigation is underway after four police officers were killed in a crash on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne. The scene remains closed on Thursday, April 23.

Due to coronavirus restrictions, a maximum of 10 people can attend each funeral, with the services live-streamed to family, friends and colleagues who cannot attend.

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton will assist in officiating at each of the services.

He said a public state memorial service will be held once restrictions are lifted.

Source : 9 News More   

What's Your Reaction?

like
0
dislike
0
love
0
funny
0
angry
0
sad
0
wow
0

Next Article

Mother of murder victim calls for son's killer to be released

The mother of a murder victim in Argentina has urged authorities to release her son's killer amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Mother of murder victim calls for son's killer to be released

The mother of a murder victim has urged authorities to release her son's killer amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to ,

Silvia Ontivero's son Alejo Hunau was murdered in his apartment in Mendoza, Argentina in 2004 by Diego Arduino, who was sentenced to 16 years.

Earlier this year Mrs Ontivero wrote to the magistrates pleading that the killer's parole request be denied.

But with COVID-19 presenting a major challenge for prisons around the world, and Mr Arduino's asthma diagnosis, she has since changed her tune.

"I have had rage. I have had hate. But I have never wished him dead," she wrote in an open letter.

Mrs Ontivero said she now supports putting Mr Arduino under house arrest instead of keeping him in prison because of the added dangers in prisons during the pandemic.

"We are talking about something different now. A pandemic. There is overcrowding in prisons and I can imagine the fear that people inside are feeling," she said.

The prisoner is among 400 in the region with underlying health conditions and considered at greater risk to contracting COVID-19 in overcrowded jails.

Argentina's President Alberto Fernández this week also endorsed moving some prisoners to house arrest where possible as prison riots continue to add to the problem.

Source : 9 News More   

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.